All reviews budget accommodation hot shower cereal and toast biscuits ferries orkney
Selected filters
Reviewed September 10, 2014

One of the worst places I have ever stayed. We booked a small double room and the size was tiny as expected, what we did not expect was a bunked arrangement with a double below and single above. This meant my husband had to crawl over me to get out of bed to use the toilet, almost impossible to do without banging his head! The bed was so high of the floor that I had to jump to get in and out of it (and I am fairly tall). When we asked for towels the man took them straight out of the tumble dryer and handed some very grey looking towels in a heap to us. The kitchen had a sign asking everyone to clean up after themselves, something which had clearly not been done for a long time, we did not dare to use it. We did try to find another hotel or hostel as we wanted to leave but everywhere was booked so we decided to make the most of it. When I moved the duvet so get into the bed I discovered horrible disgusting sheets, I was so happy I had full length pjs to wear and an early start the next day. As mentioned in previous reviews the hostel is over a chip shop and as we found out during a sleepless night over the local taxi rank with drunk and loud people shouting and singing all night long. Do not stay here it is not worth saving the money.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hazelheather
Reviewed September 5, 2014

This is the worst hostel I have ever encountered. Its sits above a chip shop.The chip shop is as dirty unkept unheigeinic and disgusting as the hostel itself and the same owners appear to own both which probably explains why . The look of the shop brings on the conculsion it is nothing but a fire hazzard and the hostel being directly above it is in the line of fire. the hostel itself is disgusting, its dirty, its smelly, it smells of that way you go into an old persons house who has never cleaned or looked after the place. I would not eat of any of the surfaces even if the smell has not damaged your apetite. The rooms and beds are cramped , furniture stained with christ knows what -yuk -there is no escape from fire, the windows are either locked because the locks are broken or open onto a steep roof which is imposible to get off. There are electrical wires hanging everywhere and the place is a hazzard and a danger and is a tragedy waiting to happen - surely some one up there must inspect these premises. It boasts a 4 star grading - what a joke its not even a 1 star - to mark it in this feed back as terrible is doing it a favour as there is no lower mark - I would say its deplorable and should be shut down . The safe storage for bikes stated in its web site does not exist- it is directly outside a taxi rank where drunks shout half the night - there can be no hostel anywhere that has stooped to such depths of standard. - unbelievably bad--YUK- stay away for the sake of your health.

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank kenny m
Reviewed September 3, 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights at this disgusting place at the conclusion of a cycle trip of the north west coast of Scotland.
We used independent and SYHA hostels the entire route to keep costs down, and found all other hostels to be clean, well located and excellent value for money.
The conclusion of the cycle meant spending the penultimate night in Thurso, before cycling to John o' Groats the next day and returning to Thurso for the last night before returning home the following day.
All the other negative reviews tell the story so pleasebelieve them, however what is really required is a scratch and sniff element to this app, so you can also experience the stench of the hostel which is located above the owners chip shop, everything smells off and is coated in grease as well as other layers of detritus which have accumulated due to the lack of cleanliness which appears to have been neglected for some time.
Add to this the taxi rank outside the premises, which leads to noise throughout the night , every electrical appliance either being broken or faulty in some way, the rear of the premises which resembles a scrap yard and you begin to understand the level of disgust this place evokes.
Some say the hostel offers good value for money, I would say no amount of money would ever take me back to these premises. The hostel is an affront to the otherwise lovely town of Thurso and can only provide all those visitors to Scotland unfortunate enough to have stayed there with a rather dim view of the area, which is clearly not representative of the other hostels we visited which managed to provide safe, clean and pleasant facilities for the same price or cheaper. I know what you are saying, why did we stay there? I wish I hadn't.
To add insult to injury, the hostel displays a Scottish tourist board 4 star rating. This is impossible, and something I will be taking up with the tourist board.

Date of stay: September 2014
1  Thank 200Rosie
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Booked for 7 nights but when I got there they had only entered me in for 6 nights. The staff are very friendly though,but the place could use a little bit of a face lift.

The price though was great as it was half the price of everything else in Thurso. Very close to all the shops and train station,taxi's are right out front.

Date of stay: July 2014
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2014

From the name, and the picture (of the chip shop) we weren't expecting luxury. That said, it was pretty good; and excellent value for money,, especially considering the free (rather basic, and DIY) breakfast. And free unlimited tea/coffee etc, free wifi. Our room was small, but clean and otherwise OK.

Date of stay: June 2014