“A little spot of calm in busy Scrabster”
Review of Cups - CLOSED

Cups
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A quirky little vintage tearoom for lovers of all things tea and cake. Set in an old chapel nestled in the fishing port of Scrabster,the last stop on the mainland before catching the ferry to Orkney. All home cooked meats and soups using local produce. Home baking prepared in the tearoom using traditional recipes given by family and friends. We serve food all day which include breakfast, light lunches, and a choice of homemade soups. We are also fully licenced and stock local ales, wines and spirits.
Bryantown, Maryland
“A little spot of calm in busy Scrabster”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

If we had not had to catch a ferry we would have liked to spend more time at cups. It was a prefect spot for lunch. Cozy and cheery decor and good food.

• Visited September 2013
CupsScrabster, Owner at Cups, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your very positive feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your visit. Haste ye back x

Bryantown, Maryland, United States
“The Best Meal in Scotland”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I were in Scotland for two weeks, eating all of our lunches and dinners at cafes, pubs, or restaurants. While in Scrabster waiting for the ferry to Orkney, we decided to try Cups, a little tea house in what looked like an old kirk. Once I finished eating my lockerbie cheddar cheese and spicy pickle sandwich and lemon drizzle cake I thought I discovered the best meal in Scotland. Now, after several weeks home, I KNOW it's the best. The meal, the flavors, the atmosphere still stand out clearly in memory long after the many others have faded. It is truly my favorite, which is saying something.

The home made spicy pickle is perfection, and there is no American equivalent. I bought a jar of Branston Pickle for home, but it doesn't even come close to the deliciousness I had on my sandwich at Cups. The creamy slaw was a wonderful savory surprise with onions. Delicious. American slaw is sweet, which I enjoyed as a child but don't eat anymore.

The establishment is sparkling clean, decorated in bright pastels, and the staff was friendly and attentive. The meal was reasonably priced for the home made freshness.

Do give Cups a try; you won't be disappointed. It's a wonderfully quaint little place! I can't sing it's praises enough!

• Visited September 2013
CupsScrabster, Owner at Cups, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Wow what can we say but thank you so much! We are all delighted with your comments and that we have made such a lasting impression. All the jams and chutneys are made in the tea room by 'Mrs Cups' to old tried and trusted recipes. We've just cooked up a batch of Christmas chutney which has all the flavours and smells of the festive season locked in to a jar, it's just such a pity that you are not near enough to pop in to sample. I do hope you will be able to visit us again, it would be so nice to see you. Haste ye back.
Kenilworth, England, United Kingdom
“What a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

What a pleasant surprise, didn't spot anything we fancied for a lunch stop in Thurso, so tried Scrabster, realised this was a ferry, freight and fishing port. But there opposite the car park (free except midnight to 7am!) was Cups cafe in an old chapel. What a delight! Lovely decor, cosy, and a very friendly and efficient waitress. We had the Stovies with oatcakes - recommend! And photo books of the transformation of the place, and of some delightful celebration cakes made by the eponymous Mrs Cups.

• Visited November 2013
CupsScrabster, Owner at Cups, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for stopping in for a bite to eat in Cups, and for your very positive feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit.
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
“Overpriced I'm afraid.”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The only place on the harbour that was open for a cup of tea on the morning, we gladly went in. Looked like the old kirk had only recently been opened, I might be wrong. Very twee and pretty with pastel colours, bunting, china crockery, nicknacks and the must have trendy cupcakes, along with other handmade 'cakes' for show in cabinets, obviously the other strand of the business. Pleasant pot of tea for two - with a handknitted tea cosy - was served and two cheese scones (warm and delicious).
We enjoyed our tea and scones. But when we came to pay the bill, we felt at nearly ten pounds it was a bit topside. I know you have to make a profit in business but please drop your prices. Had the price list or a menu been displayed, we wouldn't have gone in. Sorry Cups. Too dear to return, even for nice unsweetened cheese scones...

Visited October 2013
CupsScrabster, Owner at Cups, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Morning! Cups tearoom opened in June 2012, we are try to keep a very clean and welcoming environment for our guests. We use original vintage china and all our cakes and meats are home cooked on the premises. Our sausages and breads are sources locally. Our business does offer the option to order bespoke, custom designed, celebration cakes. I am sorry you were not entirely happy with your visit to cups. All our prices are on the menu when you ordered and I think they reflect the quality of our food. Our cheese scones are homemade using Scottish Lockerbie cheddar and whole grain mustard, they are served with butter and the option of a selection of home made jams should you require them. Priced at £1.95 each with the extras I think this is reasonable. A large pot of Scottish tea for two is £2.85, and as you mentioned, served with hand knitted tea cosies keeping your tea warm. The total cost for this is £6.75. Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.
Scotland
“China cups & yummy cakes”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Been wanting to visit here for sometime so on route to Orkney we managed to have tea & cake! Well worth the journey. Bright & cheerful use of an old building. Happy chatty staff, made welcome. Great to have a proper cup of tea. Hubby had Victoria Sponge cake and he declared it a winner!
Go and enjoy & support a small business

• Visited October 2013
CupsScrabster, Owner at Cups, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Delighted you finally made it to Cups and that you enjoyed your visit, hope the trip to Orkney was good. Thank you for the positive feedback!