$105
$102
$106
Murray House(Thurso)
$106
Pentland Lodge House(Thurso)(Great Value!)
$97
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Park Hotel(Thurso)
Hawthorns(Thurso)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssalmon fishingwine lista pre dinner drinkwonderful hotelscallopsgreat characterlovely groundsdining roomfirst classlambreception areadinner menuboth nightslovely ladyold friendsroom was largelocal produce
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I recently stayed at Forss for two nights and had a fabulous time. We were greeted on arrival and taken up to a wonderful welcoming bedroom with en suite facilities and a lovely double bed. As for the television problems (as described in a previous review) yes it didn't always work on occassions but surely that is to be expected when you are in the Highlands of Scotland not inner London! As far as we were concerned the surrounding area was far more appealing than the tv any day. As for the food - wonderful! I too had the lamb and was perfection not fatty perfectly cooked and I enjoyed every single mouthfull. In fact all the food was something to remember and I can say it is one of the best meals I have had, and have been fortunate enough to dine in many top restaurants and hotels. I enquired if the produce was local and for such a remote region nearly all the food was which was fantastic. All the staff are welcoming, friendly and extremly helpful and exactly what you want from Highland hospitality! Will be going back soon.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Whilst on a trip around the coast with my parents we stayed here for one night. Great rooms and food, beautiful walks nearby and very friendly staff. Not great value but not terrible value either so I guess they've got it about right. My parents loved it!

Reviewed June 15, 2010

A lovely 24 hours in a beautiful setting in one of the river houses, which was very comfortable and peaceful. Our meals were delicious, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, service was fast and efficeient.
We were made to feel most welcome, and we thought the the cost of the accomodation including meals was very reasonable.
We would never hesitate to visit again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This hotel consists of a grand old main building and a number of outbuildings "Lodges" . I was placed in a lodge. These are single story modern buildings like porta cabins with pitched roofs. They are certainly spacious and have flat screens with Sky. Unfortunately I found mine to be cold, it lacked any sort of character, the bed was uncomfortable with sheets and no duvet, the shower was broken and they have no internet access (the main house does).

One of the more senior members of staff - Annie was as charming and helpful as any hotel member of staff I have ever come across anywhere. All other staff members I met where happy and courteous; top marks for staffing.

The food was excellent but the restaurant lacked any real ambiance and felt slightly uncomfortable.

I'm sure the main rooms are lovely (they sound like it from other reviews here) which would make all the difference to this hotel however the lodges are not worth the price paid and I would not recommend them.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Forss, Owner at Forss House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

Thanks very much for your feedback. While I'm delighted you enjoyed the food and felt we looked after you very well, I'm sorry you did not like your room. You are quite right the River House is a modern building and the rooms indeed are spacious. It was refurbished in 2008 which included installing new thermostatically controlled radiators for guests to adjust to achieve their ideal room temperature, all new furniture including king size beds and great new fully equiped bathrooms with power showers. These rooms have proved a real hit with guests many of whom specifically request the River House when they return, so I'm genuinely surprised it wasn't to your liking. We have rectified the airlock issue which affected your shower.The sheets vs duvets debate is tricky and does come down to personal preference. We have chosen Egyptyian cotton sheets and blankets to maintain the traditional country house feel, but we do have duvets available for guests who request them.
I do hope you will visit again and we can leave you feeling refreshed.

Ian Richards

Reviewed May 10, 2010

Touring the North of Scotland we stayed for one night on 6/4/2010. If the 200 yr old exterior of the building is slightly the "ugly sister" the interior is certainly "Cinderella" . Our twin room, at ground level, was spacious and comfortable, with an excellent bathroom/shower, and we loved the large selection of paintings on display in the corridor outside. Refurbished throughout, the decor is classic , warm and welcoming. Comfortable seating area to sit and relax and the bar with it's huge selection of whiskies is the ideal spot for pre/after dinner drinks. Dinner was exceptionally good , enjoyed in an elegant dining room and the service top class. Very good breakfast served in the conservatory overlooking the lawn. Anne welcomed us when we arrived and she is one very special lady, the undoubted "heart" of Forss House. We have stayed in many good hotels in Scotland but no one has matched Anne's unique welcoming personality. We were treated like old friends and made to feel at home in a friendly but professional way,a perfect hostess.

• Stayed: April 2010
Forss, Manager at Forss House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

Thank you for the kind remarks in your review and we hope we will see you again.