“A true Star of the North!”
Review of Forss House Hotel

Forss House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Thurso
GreenLeadersGold level
Rennesoy Municipality, Norway
“A true Star of the North!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We were touring the north of Scotland for a few weeks holiday by car and had read the reviews on Forss here and decided to give it a try for a night or two. We can truly say that this must be the best hidden little gem that can compete with anyone in the business anywhere in the world! The rooms, the staff including Anne, the food and the ambiance, just perfect! Annes knowledge of anything local, from the best gillies to the best whiskies in the bar, she could easily outsmart any connoisseur. And she doesn't even drink "the stuff". So if staying for the hunting or the fishing in the area, or just to relax, be prepared to be treated like a "long lost very close relative", ie like royalty. Anne with her staff will treat everyone the same. We will definitely be back:)

Room Tip: no pool or fitness centre.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Scott51N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Have only good things to say about this hotel. I chose it because I was travelling with my puppy, but the food (both dinner and breakfast) was superb and I would recommend this hotel whether you are accompanied by a four legged friend or not. The ambiance was welcoming, comfortable, friendly and made me want to stay longer than one night. The bath was amazing - with loads of hot water! I'm planning my return visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Vict0riaSquare
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We chose Forss House Hotel as we were looking for a quiet night away. This was a wonderful find and our only complaint was that we only stayed one night! Our room was cosy and comfortable with little extras to make us feel welcome, like C.D's, books and magazines. The dinner was wonderful and the after meal drinks in the bar were special with Anne being a great host! We left feeling relaxed and refreshed and hope to return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kamm H
Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This hotel was a real find. We just stayed for one night on our way to Orkney. As the wind blew up overnight I was hoping that the ferry would be cancelled so that we wouldn't have to leave. What a charming place. We stayed in one of the dog-friendly cottages next to the hotel. They had recently been refurbished, and I have to say that they were spotless and spacious and beautifully decorated. The dog was made as welcome as we were. She was very surprised to come nose to nose with a deer the next morning. The main hotel is quiet and welcoming. On the cold March night that we arrived there was a lovely fire in the reception area and comfy sofas. Do make a point of eating at the hotel. We had a really wonderful meal, served with care by charming staff. Afterwards we were treated to a discussion of their fine range of whiskys and a whisky tasting in the very well appointed wood-panelled bar. Breakfast was also delicious. I wished I could have eaten more, but was a bit worried about the force 10 gale and the ferry! In fact, I would go to that coastline for a holiday specifically to have a chance to stay at The Forss House Hotel. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise F
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2014

An absolutely delightful experience. In all my years and all my travel the Forss House Hotel is up there with the very best of them. A charming old style Country Hotel, spotlessly clean, beautiful bathrooms, comfortable beds, warm & cosy, quite honestly I couldn't compliment it enough. The staff are by far the best I have ever encountered, very welcoming and make you feel right at home. Ann, Chef & the young girl in the restaurant are a credit to the hotel, the food is wonderful and in my opinion the portions are just perfect. Breakfast is served in the conservatory area in the morning with freshly squeezed orange juice and everything cooked to perfection.

Room Tip: I have been in two different rooms and couldn't fault either of them!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AMCIRL
Ayrshire
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to Orkney, having chosen it for it's excellent reviews and its proximity to the Orkney ferry at Scrabster.
The hotel is set in secluded gardens near a salmon river. We did see them jumping! And it's a short walk down to the sea from here too. A lovely setting, and we were blessed with good weather.
Out room was vast, well-appointed and very comfortable with a view over the side of the hotel towards the road. The en-suite bath/shower room was enormous! You could have held a party in there! A huge free-standing bath and separate shower were great features.
Dinner was a lovely experience too. We just adored Anne in the bar! Her knowledge of whiskies was admirable, the more so as she told us she never drinks the stuff! Ask her to put water in your whisky and be prepared for a surprise! The quality of the food is tremendous and this place is obviously a favourite with locals on special nights out.
The one (very minor) quibble came at breakfast, where service from the kitchen was unusually slow. The waitress apologised for this. As we were not in a huge hurry, this was not an issue, but it could have been if we'd not allowed ourselves plenty time to get ready for our boat crossing.
All the staff we came in contact with were helpful, friendly and efficient, right down to the quality of the welcome and saying 'goodbye' when we left. The only thing this place lacks, and others have mentioned it, is a lounge. There is a small bar, but no comfortable lounge area to sit in pre/post dinner.
We were sad we had booked only one night. Would love to go back and maybe stay longer next time. Recommendable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed December 29, 2013

While we did not book a room, my wife and I had been told about the wonderful bar at Forss House, and so on the day of our vacation which took us through Thurso, we made a point of stopping in to see it. Although we arrived prior to the official opening time of the bar, Anne was incredibly gracious, and opened early. My wife was driving, and so only had a soda, while I spoke with Anne, and learned more about Scotch in one hour than I had learned in my entire life up to that point. She was one of the most well informed bar tenders I have ever met, and a genuinely sweet lady. To spend an entire hour explaining so much to someone who was not even a resident of the hotel spoke volumes about her, and about the hotel. I consider the hour I spent there to be one of the best of my entire day, and that day to be the best of my entire vacation there. At the end of our visit, my wife asked if she could get a photo of me with Anne, and our gracious hostess insisted that I step behind the bar to pose with her. What a treat!
When we return to Scotland in the future, we will make a point of booking a room at Forss House, to enjoy this level hospitality again, and for a longer time. Thank you to Anne and the rest of the staff who were so gracious during our visit, as short as it was!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric R J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurso
Melvich Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bettyhill
Pentland Hotel
Pentland Hotel
#6 of 9 in Thurso

Been to Forss House Hotel? Share your experiences!