$106
Park Hotel(Thurso)
  • Breakfast included
Murray House(Thurso)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssalmon fishingwine lista pre dinner drinkwonderful hotelscallopsgreat characterlovely groundsdining roomfirst classlambreception areadinner menuboth nightslovely ladyold friendslocal produceroom was large
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night and had high hopes after seeing the lovely pictures on the website, but sadly the hotel did not live up to this for us.

On the plus side it is situated in lovely grounds and has a lot of period charm. The bed in our room was comfortable and the en-suite interesting in that you had to go down a flight of steps to get to it!

Negatives were that our room was on the small side even though we had booked one of the "master rooms", and the window opened onto what I think was some sort of service entrance below, so we were disturbed by coming and goings from here. There seems to be no level of sound-proofing, and as our room was situated very close to the main corridor we were disturbed by banging doors and people going past and upstairs. The noise from the rooms upstairs was considerable as you could hear every step made and every door being opened and closed, and people flushing their toilets and running showers etc.!

We hadn't realised that the hotel was totally geared up to fishing, and as a result we were woken by noise from upstairs as some of guests got up before 5am (I assume to go fishing), so we got no sleep after 5am and had a very disturbed night.

We did not sample the restaurant for dinner as the menu seemed very limited and as a coeliac I was concerned at having to ask for gluten free food. My husband did have breakfast (I did not as I was feeling a little queasy), and he was most disappointed in the breakfast, especially considering that the hotel prides itself on excellent quality food. He said that the bacon was underdone and very fatty, the portions were small, the toast was cold and of poor quality, no better than standard supermarket own brand bread, when he was expecting homemade or speciality bread, and the coffee was poor quality and insipid.

We were kept waiting in reception to check out despite ringing the bell several times for attention and in the end my husband had to go and look for someone in the dining room as we could not wait any longer due to having a ferry to catch. We would not choose to stay there again and didn't feel like we received good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShetlandPonyLady
Forss, Manager at Forss House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Review - Didn’t live up to expectations

While all the team at Forss are distressed by your comments we do thank you very much for taking time to write your review and I note your husband has also written a review entitled ‘Not as good as expected’ which is listed below.

As you have said the building at Forss House really is lovely, in a great spot and we have done our best to make it welcoming and comfortable during all the restoration work of the last few years. The joy of such buildings lie in the unusual features and quirks that you enjoyed but the same eccentricities do cause challenges particularly when the house is used as a hotel rather than its original use as a private home. So each room is different, some are bigger than others, some have views of the river, some bathrooms are smaller but in all cases we have tried to give each room a character of its own. We have ensured that the quality of furniture, beds, bathrooms and other facilities are to the same high standard and this contributes to the Master bedroom designation. Having said that, in light of your comments we will look at this bedroom again, although I have say this room is requested specifically by many returning guests who have enjoyed it on previous visits.

I really am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from staff and guests, we have reminded all staff that they need to be especially quiet when arriving in the morning and departing at night. We will also look at what we can do to stop doors banging. Noise from early rising guests I’m afraid we cannot control, but we will look at the room concerned to see if we do anything to reduce the potential for noise.

With regard to the restaurant, we should have checked with you to see if you had any dietary requirements and the Chef would have been happy to prepare something special for you if the dishes on the menu were not suitable. I’m sorry you didn’t feel able to ask.

There can no excuse for the breakfast and check-out experience you describe, we clearly failed to reach the high standards we set for ourselves and are expected by our guests. You can rest assured we have taken action to address this matter.

Finally, I can only reiterate that I am genuinely sorry that you did not receive the full Forss experience described in reviews by most of our guests.

Review – ‘Not as good as expected’

Thank you for your comments and for those received from your wife, listed above entitled ‘Didn’t live up to expectations’. I have replied in full to your wife’s comments but can only reiterate how disappointed all the team at Forss are that we did not deliver the full Forss experience described in reviews by most of our guests. Please be assured we have taken action to address the issues raised.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had a three day mid week break at “The Forss House Hotel”.
We were greeted on arrival by Anne, who deserves the reputation of being a helpful, warm and professional lady.
The room and meals were of a five star standard and could not be faulted.
We had the added bonus of, by chance, meeting some old friends.
A comfortable and relaxing three days.

John and Frankie .

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Wanted a quiet night ahead of a trip to Orkney but hotel not quite what I expected. Room a little small with 'old world' charm and furnishings. Lots of noise from banging doors and extremely hot in night - no air con or ventilation.
Didn't sample the evening meal after being put off by the menu - not enough choice. Breakfast was adequate but not exceptional as I had been expecting.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Colin H
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had one night in this very comfortable, luxurious, understated 4star hotel. The location with the Forss river running through it, made it really special for me as did the terrific cuisine.
Our stay in this charming place was exemplified by the attention given to to us by Ann , our host, who is a very special lady and a real credit to the establishment and the team.
May the Forss be with you.

Room Tip: Call Ann........she will sort you out
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The front-of-house lady who checked us in when asked if we could have a snack (3pm) informed us that this was impossible as the kitchen staff were busy prepping for dinner and 'didn't you stop on the way?'. No apology or offer of anything! I have never experienced this in any hotel anywhere in the world. Apart from this the hotel was what one would normally expect.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple