“basic fare but excellent value”

Pentland Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 30 Restaurants in Thurso
Cuisines: British
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Perth, United Kingdom
“basic fare but excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Like eating at my granny's house, old fashioned meals but great quality and very cheap. We were in a large group but were served quickly and efficiently. They managed very well considering the lateness of the booking and the number of meals required, def recommend

Visited June 2013
1 Thank spitfirebob42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Armagh
“Pentland Hotel, Thurso”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went for a meal in this hotel, leaving an hour and three quarters before I needed to be somewhere else. After a long delay we ordered a main course, dessert and Fruit Juice. About half an hour later the main courses came but like the other reviewer's experience the waitress forgot to bring the drinks. We ordered them again and a third time, following which a waiter whom we hadn't seen before arrived with the drinks. Neither came back to see if we needed anything else but we finished our main course by which time we had only 40 minutes to eat our ice cream. The waitress was nowhere to be seen and eventually a different waitress walked past I explained that we had ordered desserts and asked if she would try to get them quickly. When she returned with a menu I said we didn't need a menu but wanted our desserts. Seventeen minutes later I decided to go to the counter and explain that we didn't now want to wait but she said she would ring the kitchen and lo and behold within one minute our ice cream appeared. We ate it quickly and went back to the counter to pay the bill only to be told that they only accepted money and that cards had to be taken to a Reception area. In this day and age I would have thought that credit cards were sufficiently common that they should be accepted without having to find our way down two corridors to a reception area. When i found it a young lady took the card from me and a manager-like person asked if everything had been satisfactory. I outlined the service and she asked if I could describe the wiatress I said we ahd seen three and then had to ask the receptionist to process the payment rather than waste any further time. The food was reasonable and if anyone is in Thurso and has several hours to spare they could do worse than try this hotel.

• Visited June 2013
Wick, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Saturday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went for lunch yesterday, tried the Pentland Hotel. Nicely Decorated, Staff very friendly and good with children. Lovely menu, only had a main course but good choice, usual pub grub as well as a whole pasta menu, lots of snacks such as paninis, baked pots etc. Will defo go again :)

• Visited May 2013
Muenchen
“Nice food, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a nice meal at the Pentland - they do very good steaks - but oh my, the service that night! The staff were friendly and smiley, but kept forgetting to bring drinks etc - we had to remind them a number of times. I wonder if the staff were simply overwhelmed that night as when the crowds had thinned a bit, the service improved greatly. I like this place, but this was a special meal out, and we really could have done without this annoyance.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank MuenchenKarin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Frozen chips, frozen fish”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Ate here with my partner, we had fish and chips, which was touted as catch of the day and scampi and chips, I'm pretty sure that the only thing on the plate that hadn't come out the freezer was the salad and its very bitter dressing. Quite expensive for very mediocre frozen food. I won't be going back.