“HIGHland Expectations”

Wirral
“HIGHland Expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Mmm Where to start??

Journeyed to Thurso so far North on the UK mailand you could get a nose bleed from the altitude. Got a welcome of sorts!!,... filled out the paper work and was given a room outside the main hotel to the rear.
My first impression of the room was small, dark and NO bath just a large shower, a very nice shower non the less. But my expectations were for so much more, the impression left when the booking was made " An Executive Double" gave an air of grandeur backed up by a price tag of £86 prpn to match.

The room served a purpose but dissapointing in so many ways, lack of space for luggage, no bath to have a soak in and a small lumpy bed nicknamed the "freindly bed" because you couldnt help elbowing or kicking each other throughout the night as you always ended up rolling together and meeting in the middle for battle of the duvet!

Breakfast was included in the booking price and I was looking forward to a my first scottish breaky. We wandered into the dinning room to no real welcome just a man/waiter dressed in black with a face to match the funeral he'd been too?...possibly or may be it was the hangover from hell.......again!!,... well it was Sunday I suppose. So we just chose a table and helped ourselves to some toast and juice there was a wide selection of fancy herbal teas but what I wanted was some traditional english breakfast tea.....may be that was the problem! So I had to make contact with the locals, a waitress went into the kitchen and re-appeared with two T bags on a saucer when really putting them in a pot with some boiling water would have been much preferred but she was only a youngster I suppose. Then I had to ask about getting the porridge that was on the menu and finally the penny dropped and the man waiter came over to our table and took our order for cooked food we both had smoked haddock. So after a wobbly negative start to breakfast things improved both the porridge and the fish absolutly lovely. And the following day at breakfast we had a different waitress who was a marked improvement on the staff from the day before.

My lasting impression of this hotel is over priced with some .......Eeerrrr well.......just staff! I wish I had just stayed the one night in Thurso a lovely place close to my heart but nothing stays the same for very long and it takes time to get over the jet lagged of getting there....and thats just travelling from England.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martyn W
sandra c, Owner at Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Where to start- not sure myself. You booked a business room which isnt advertised as having a bath. Our business guests want power showers and thats what we put in our new block. Our inside rooms have kingsize beds and baths but on 1 of the busiest weekends of the year there were none left. The rooms have wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside cabinet and other shelves for clothes. The bed will be checked but we rarely if ever have had complaints about them. Black is the standard uniform colour for all our waiting staff and the young girl thought you wanted extra t bags- a simple misunderstanding that was quickly sorted out. I dont consider the price expensive especially when this was a booking on which we have to pay 15% commission to an agency. As you lived in thurso for some years I am sure you have had scottish breakfast before and know how far we are from england but our many repeat guests dont seem to mind as they enjoy this area and our hospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
west lothian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

It's pretty basic, but it's clean, good value for money and the staff are lovely. If you're looking for those things in a hotel, then you've just found it. You DO have to understand that in this part of the country things are pretty relaxed and run at a slow pace - and that's not a bad thing! If you expect a hi-energy establishment, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a place that adequately meets your needs, then you could do worse than the Park Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Once again an excellent stay at The Park Hotel.

Let's make it simple.

Welcome - fantastic and even a wee nip to warm the cockles of your heart.
Room - clean, well appointed and spacious.
Food - excellent menu, curries are better than an Indian restaurant.
Staff - are the hotels biggest asset, very polite and knowledgeable.
Location - it is where it is, an ideal location with lots of free parking.

Cheers Sandra, hope you have a Goodyear...

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Scottex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in one of the rooms outside the main building. It was clean and well equipped but only had a small bathroom with a shower. No problem but if you prefer a bath the internal rooms might suit better. My colleagues and I ate in the bar the first night but my steak was rather tasteless and not as good as other local steaks i have eaten in Caithness. I might have been unlucky but this was the same for my colleague who also opted for the steak. However the other 3 people in my party were happy with their meals. Sadly for the hotel ( which seemed to be very quiet for Dinner) the result of the poor steaks meant that for the remaining two nights of our trip we ate in other restaurants in Thurso and Scrabster, where my faith in Scottish beef was restored.
I have stayed at the Park before and probably will again, as on previous trips I have had much better meals. Maybe I was just unlucky that night.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 2 night business trip and I stayed at this hotel. For the price I was expecting the equivalent of a premier inn but got much more. I was made to feel welcome soon as I arrived. The room was spacious, very clean with a decent bathroom. The shower was very powerful the bed extremely comfy. The good thing about the room was that the temperature of the room was easily controllable - so many hotel rooms are far too hot! There is free WIFI there'd too which is good. I ate there one evening and the meal was excellent, as was the service. Breakfast was cooked to order (although I only had continental, the cooked breakfasts looked good). The staff could advise me on local walks and places of interest and generally couldn't do enough to make my stay enjoyable. They also had a superb environmental policy - far better than that of any hotel I have ever stayed in! I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FM100
Inverness
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have mixed views about this hotel. Was at wedding dance there in 2012 and it was really good! Went to a function very recently and some of the staff really let it down. First impressions, little things like inexperienced young bar staff who did not know basic bar etiquette. However more disappointing was member of staff at reception, maybe Sandra ? who was just down right rude! Very unprofessional attitude with no desire to help with a query I had. Maybe my request was not possible, however manners and polite response cost nothing. In contrast, waitresses serving at function were very helpful and polite. Complacency may be the root of the problem. Food was nice :-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Didley46
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

A one night stay touring northern Scotland. We slept in an annex behind the main building. The room was comfortable and was more than adequate for our needs for an overnight stay. The restaurant was not very busy and the food and service were excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Good advice given about local sights - we would not have found Dunnet Head without it!
Located just out of the town centre but within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building are proably larger than the in the annex.