“Out of this World”
Review of Aigas Field Centre

Aigas Field Centre
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Beauly
More attraction details
Owner description: Please avoid the disappointment of being turned away. Aigas Field Centre is a residential business and not open to passing visitors. Prior booking is always required. The internationally acclaimed and award-winning field centre for the Highlands and Islands of Scotland; Aigas is a Highland estate and family home offering unsurpassed hospitality, educational holidays and wildlife experiences to residential visitors from all over the world.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I believe I visited Aigas during the same week as "summerEdinburgh" below and my experience could not have been more different. (In fact the week improved dramatically after "summerEdinburgh's" departure as the incessant wingeingwas starting to get on my nerves). Aigas is a truly wild place yet Sir John and Lady Lister-Kaye have managed to create a luxurious yet comfy base from which to enjoy it. There is nothing quite like sitting in front of a log fire with a whisky after a day in the fresh air. I found the food to be excellent, the accomodation very comfortable and the service beyond 5* because an effort was made to cater for even the impossible requests - "summerEdinburgh" complained about not seeing badgers and one of our rangers heroically sacrificed his jam scone to lure one in - unsuccessfully but how refreshing to try! I'm going back and have already booked for next year.....

3  Thank LeJaffa
"house party"
"a great week"
"food was great"

Reviewed August 20, 2009

My partner and I made our first trip to Aigas this year. We absolutely adore the place and have booked on another programme next year. When we were told we would be staying with a "Sir" and a "Lady", we were a little wary and horribly prejudged before our arrival. We were thinking these people would be stuffy, arrogant, snooty, the lot. We could not have been more wrong in our thoughts. What we got was delightful, down to earth, friendly and the most welcoming husband and wife combination. Sir John is a loveable, extremely knowledgeable personality who goes out of his way to make sure visitors enjoy their Aigas experience. Sir John would be lost without the most warming and generous hostess I have ever come across. Lady Lucy welcomed us as if we were her own family. She worked tirelessly to accommodate our every need and was always happy and welcoming. Her cooking and her team of lovely girls made mealtime a highlight. My waistline after my week at Aigas is proof enough.
The programmes are amazing and the staff fantastic. If you want to experience everything about the Highlands, the wildlife, the history, the culture, Aigas is your place.
All in all, one of the best weeks ever and I can't wait until next year.

3  Thank BasilFawltyUK
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We spent two nights recently at Aigas Field Centre. I can not recommend this amazing experience more highly. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and nothing was too much of a hassle. The surroundings are unbeatable and we saw amazing wildlife that would beat a safari in Africa hands down!

Re the person who complained about accommodation - I slept fantastically and our room was perfectly acceptable and to be honest the accommodation was not on my list of priorities - I wanted to see amazing wildlife in its natural surroundings which I did, I wanted to learn - the staff were very patient and fantastic teachers and I wanted to have a full tummy - Lady Lister Kaye's delicious food definately ticked this box.

Would return as soon as possible if I could!

2  Thank FloCor1975
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Aigas was recommended to us by friends who had been several times and love the place.
We weren't disappointed! Aigas is just fantastic - our course was a great balance of wonderful wildlife experiences, peace and relaxation, superb food, friendly and professional staff and fantastic cabins with red squirrels and pine martins visible from the windows!!

I would recommend Aigas to anyone and we have already booked our holiday there next year.

5  Thank GauchoElPerro
See more reviews
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I booked from 11th to18th July 09 £850 for the week , however returned home after a few days due to the absolute disgusting accommodation. I requested a refund, it was refused, Sir John Lister-Kaye stated 'acommodation was way, way, way down on his list of priorities'. I took a number of pictures of the accommodation and Lady Lucy Lister-Kaye on seeing the pictures stated the images were in her own words, 'disgusting' - dirt, dust, decaying blue bottles, uncomfortable seating, nails up through the sofa, water damaged bathrooms, mould/fungus in the bathroom, poor lighting. Onlt on making two requests for a key to the cabin was one issued.
I was very disappointed by Sir John's attitude and his refusal to make a refund.
Prior to the booking I stated Imy firend and I did not wish to share a cabin with other people and the offer to be accommodated in another shared cabin or in the 'house' was not in my view fulfilling the agreed contract in which I made at the time of the booking.
I intend to take advice on this matter and I am prepared to contact all the agencies, Scottish Heritage etc linked witht he Centre and inform them of my experience and provide photgraphic evidence of the accommodation as I feel so strongly about the refusal of a refund. ( I have provided one picture of the inside window less than 24 inches from the pilloW, the other is one of the bathroom)
Would you pay £1,700.00 for a week here for two people?

18  Thank summerEdinburgh
AigasFieldCentre, General Manager at Aigas Field Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

At Aigas we strive for the highest standards of hospitality. We live by the motto "nothing is too much trouble at Aigas." It is extremely rare that guests leave dissatisfied with our performance.

In this instance the guests concerned were offered a free upgrade to the Affric Room - our most luxurious suite. The guests refused to look at the room, indicating that they were determined to leave regardless of our efforts to address their concerns. It was this refusal that resulted in us not offering a refund.

The comments made about Sir John and Lady Lister-Kaye are untrue and grossly unfair. We have requested that TripAdvisor remove this review.