“Finally made it”

The Old School Beauly
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: We are an award winning department store based in beautiful Beauly in The Highlands of Scotland. We are the Best Gift Retailer Scotland 2015 and also Finalist Best Lifestyle, Homewares and Gifts 2016. Our shop is a mini, bespoke department store with a tendency towards being slightly bonkers. We showcase the very best selection of clothing, gifts, books, music and smellies so make sure you have plenty time to spare when you step through our doors. You could be with us for some time. We are shopping heaven. As Roald Dahl said "Tremendous things are in store for you! Wonderful surprises await you!"
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Kept meaning to pop into this local café. No disappointment.
Food excellent and service good and friendly.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I walked in mid afternoon to a healthy number of people: many obviously local. The atmosphere and aspect are pleasant: cleanly modern yet friendly and business-like. I eventually managed to order a black coffee and flapjack from the very impressive and exceptionally good-looking cakes on offer. The coffee was as perfect as it comes for my taste (not too strong and pleasantly mellow). I ordered a second. The flapjack was much more than an 'ordinary' one (in terms of quality and quantity) and was a very good choice. There were two people serving. One was obviously very new. Both were very pleasant if a little hassled. I've done that job so I know what it's like. The problem came when I tried to pay. I could not attract anyone's attention at the till. I wandered off and came back. Eventually other people wanting to pay went and got someone. The till is in full view of those serving. That hesitant service cost a rating point . Had I been in a hurry it might well have cost 2 and a non-return because there's no shortage of coffee in Beauly. As it is I'll be back.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stopped here for a late lunch, having found the place by chance.

The staff could not have been more helpful. Immediately on arrival, they noticed our two small dogs and offered them water. (It was a beautiful day so we could sit outside.) As they say, the route to a customer's heart lies in accommodating their dogs!

The food was on the table very quickly and we enjoyed it very much.

For those readers who are interested, Beauly, is one of many places in these Islands which was simply named "beautiful place". Mary Queen of Scots passed this way a while back and that was what she thought, however, as she preferred French that was the language she used to describe it: "C'est un beau lieu".

Reviewed June 12, 2013

All we had was soup which was nice and feeling. We stay with family not to far away so will be returning.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Great little gift shop in Beauly and well worth a visit. A super selection of books, jewellery, bags and all good quality. Really enjoyed looking around and my book purchase!