“Good food, good price...service a bit different.”
Review of Cairngorm Hotel

Cairngorm Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Edinburgh
“Good food, good price...service a bit different.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hi....this is just a food review......

Stopped off on the way from being up north for a quick bite. Food choice is great and good price too.......Gluten free menu as well !!! Top marks.

Have been to Aviemore a few times but not been here before. Started off with a bit of a concern about some rave music at the start of our meal but this changed to some thing a little more traditional by the end - thanks for that one.

Food was pretty decent and of good proportions.

Only niggle was that one member of staff was obviously having a bad day and was rather abrupt in their manner.

I would recommend that you consider this place for food.

Thanks for reading.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have just returned home from a great stay at your hotel, which I thought was fantastic in every way. The service, my room & the atmosphere. My room (114) was just what I needed. I would like to make a special mention to your waitress Sarah who served me on every night of my stay, she helped with deciding meals along with added humour which makes all the difference. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank JMacBean
Forfar, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were lucky enough to choose this wonderful Hotel to host our Wedding Reception and meal after being married on The Cairngorm Mountain. The Management and staff were wonderful and helpful during the planning and on the day. All our guests commented on the staffs' helpfulness and friendly approach, this was from the Management, Receptionists, Waiting Staff, Bar Staff and The Night Porter (who some of our guests kept busy fetching them drinks from the bar until 2.45am!!!!) Beware of the food, it's delicious and the portions are more than generous. We would recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for anything from a Wedding Venue to a quiet lunch. We will definetly be back.

Room Tip: Room 124 is to be recommended
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having visited the area a couple of times a year for the last 10 or so years, we found the
'Cairngorm' by recommendation - Thursday Nights - basically eat as much as you can? for a
reasonable £12.95. 15 to 20 choices of courses are on offer including scotch broth & fresh bread 1st course, needless to say we have visited on quite a few Thursdays! Desserts at your own risk. We have also visited on other days for lunch and evening meals as a couple and also amongst friends, even been able to sample the desserts, always superb service and fantastic food all at reasonable prices. Someone has already mentioned that it could not be better placed being directly opposite the railway station. whilst we have never actually stayed a the 'Cairngorm' the thoughts of a full scottish breakfast means it's just a matter of time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Beautiful hotel with lovely authentic Scottish decor and local friendly staff.
Our room was fine, clearly well used but clean and nicely decorated.
Usual facilities within the room and extra milk was provided without question.
Beware of the portion size of the food! I could not believe how much food I was served with for such a reasonable price! I would have two starters next time or just a main course! Both my Brie starter and my venison casserole in a Yorkshire pudding were stunning! I loved both but was over faced! I suppose if I had been skiing all day or walking it might have been possible to finish it but I had had a more sedentary day!!
My husbands meal was as generous and according to him as tasty! I would definitely return. of particular note was Alan who served us dinner, he was so helpful and informative and nothing was too much of a bother!!
You must go!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just returned from a family wedding, we travelled over 600 miles to get to and it was well worth it, staff so friendly and helpful, rooms clean and warm, food excellant, entertainment 5*, just wish it was closer to us to visit again. Will definitely be recommending to our friends. Staying in Aviemore or even have a meal if not staying you must visit this hotel.

Room Tip: 202 was a good room but room 124 is the best with the turret
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived at Aviemore by Train in the dark and was glad the Cairngorm Hotel was across the Road from the Station looking like the perfect sanctuary for weary travellers.

We were welcomed at Reception like celebrities (at least they knew our names because we were the last guests to check in) and given the keys to our room. The room was a little small and simply furnished but tastfully decorated and it was shame that the bed (or beds, two pushed together) was a little lumpy.

The Restaurant was emptying out but fortunately they still managed to provide us with a nice Dinner in the Tower Annexe before we retired for the night.

The next morning we looked out the window and wow............ Nothing! as the fog had set in and you could hardly see the station across the road.

Fortunately, we were treated to a lovely Breakfast and as promoted by the reception, we met up with Spud the Bag Piper at the Golden Post Box down the Road.

The Hotel was brilliant the staff were great and the views were... well, missing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple