“Comfortable, local, convenient”
Review of Cairngorm Hotel

Cairngorm Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed August 10, 2012

A nice, clean and traditional hotel. The rooms were small but well equipped and clean. The staff was professional. The food in the restaurant was good, and the breakfast diverse and satisfying. The bar was fun and they had locally brewed Cairngorns beer on tap. Like everything in Aviemore, everything was in walking distance, including some wonderful morning walks in nature.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank E_Donald_Stein
There are newer reviews for Cairngorm Hotel

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here for a quiet wedding at St John the Baptist but anyone who loves Aviemore will know that once the word is out!
Fabulous room, fantastic friendly staff and great food.
Will never stay anywhere else in Aviemore now.
Thanks for making our week amazing guys. x

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had read some reviews complaining about the rooms being small, all I can say is that the room we had was a good size. The service we received was excellent and being able to sit in the large and comfortable foyer was a bonus. The room was clean and serviced daily. the bathroom was not the biggest but was adequate. The shower was powerful abeing a height where I could stand up straight - I am 6ft 1. There was a large choice at breakfast which included cheese, meat, fruit, cereal, porridge, kippers and the usual hot items, the hot items are all served to your table.
The only criticism from my wife was that there was not a lot of storage space. We will certainly be returning to this hotel in the future.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I recently stayed two nights at this hotel with my husband. It is in a good location with ample parking. There were a few things I found disappointing - the room we were allocated was clearly a twin room with the beds pushed together meaning only one bedside table and out of line head boards. The room was very dark making it impossible to put make up on and on the second night (Friday) there was a band playing until the early hours which we had not been warned about. There was no way to regulate the temperature other than by opening the window - which with the noise either meant it was way too hot or way too noisy! Breakfast is badly laid out and was disappointing. I had heard good things about this hotel from the locals, but sadly I was unimpressed.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We visited the hotel for Sunday lunch, wishing to avoid fast-food and chain-type places. It was admittedly at the back-end of lunch time, but what we got was so awful that I felt I never wanted to stop in Aviemore again, let alone at this hotel! The roast lamb was luke-warm and the vegetables were stone cold; and I have never seen such unappealing mint sauce - a sort of greyish-brown sludge. The lasagne was made of soapy, overcooked pasta and topped with processed cheese and ketchup. Inedible, all of it. We were so hungry after a long journey we tried, but thought a review on tripadvisor would carry more weight than complaining.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather H
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The hotel location, situated as it is directly opposite the railway station, is ideal.
The hotel staff were friendly, patient and efficient, which was as well as a visiting family did not want to understand that dogs are not allowed in restaurants!
Although the breakfast was superlative, the room was a little under standard inasmuch that there was no way to regulate the aambient temperature, and when running a bath the cold water supply was mimimal. There were only two tea bags available, rather short change for an evening and overnight stay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the station have a fine view of the mountain range.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BrewerColin
Reviewed July 3, 2012

As part of my cycle ride from John O'Groats to Lands End i stopped off here purely by accident as i pulled a muscle in my knee, the hotel let me and my father put our bikes in a secured room in the back of the hotel, rates were very reasonable for the quality of room, if i were in Avimore or even near by i would definately stay here again.

The only reason i gave the room 4/5 is dure to it having a slightly dodgy lock but thats just me being fussy.

• Stayed: July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Carrbridge
Muckrach Country House Hotel
Muckrach Country House Hotel
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to Cairngorm Hotel? Share your experiences!