“No Respect or Value for Customers, If I could give less than one star, I would have.”
Review of Strathspey Hotel

Strathspey Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We would normally use the Macdonald brand as a prefered stay in the UK and we booked the Four Seasons months before the stay for a business conference and recieved confirmation of the booking. We even changed one of the party one week before the event so were irate to find that on arrival Macdonald had bumped the three of us into the 'Academy Hotel' on the complex, which is nothing better than a backpackers hostel, without feeling the need to tell us beforehand so that we could make alternative arrangements if we wished, before arrival......in fact I have stayed in better backpackers than this as a youngster, many years ago. After much digging in of heels and the intervention of the local duty manager, -- Gordon, -- I forget his surname but exonerate him completely, the jobsworth on the end of the phone at the reservations centre, [many miles away] put us in 'The Inn' which was just about acceptable and about the standard of a Travelodge. As it was only for two nights we put up with it but the standard of customer care was appalling and I could not recommend this hotel to anyone. They more or less have a monopoly on the market in 'downtown' Aviemore so don't feel the need to try, or care about the customer experience. The only positive from the experience was that the Four Seasons was looking even more tired and run down than it was last year and The Inn was £30 per head per night cheaper !!!!!

Room Tip: Aviod if you can !!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Philwil69
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Relations Manager at Strathspey Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Dear Philwil69
Thank you for your comments. We have always had a passionate approach to hospitality and we would always welcome comments and suggestions from guests who do not feel we have succeeded in this.
If you would like to contact me at the resort directly I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and to resolve these outstanding issues for you.
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dumfries
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Visited this hotel on a business trip and had a look around the whole Macdonald Resort. I learned that this was the oldest hotel in the complex and it is starting to now show its age. When new it would have been and is still to an entent fairly impressive in the public areas. The following is a summary:

POSITIVES
Staff - without exception all were very friendly and professional
Food - decent breakfast and all main meals were of a good standard
Location - good overall location close to the main building and town centre

NEGATIVES
Bedroom - sparse and dated- in need of modernisation. Simple things like no headboard on the bed, TV sitting at a precarious angle , remote control barely working and general decor neding redone.
Bathroom - had to wait about 3 minutes for hot water in the morning. You have to be a controtionist to use the toilet!. Again needs modernised.

Would I stay here again ? I would stay in one of the other hotels min the Macdonald resort but until the bedrooms are upgraded not at the 4 seasosn.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank doonhamer
Dear doonhamer
Thank you for the positive comments about the resort and the staff.

All feedback is welcomed and your constructive approach is noted to the points where we can improve.

We hope to welcome you back to the resort in the future.

Peterhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I arrived at the Four Seasons and after trying to gain entry for a couple of minutes, I realised that it was actually closed. There is a vague sign apologising for any disruption during renovations but nothing to indicate that its closed or what to do. After sitting with my wife pondering over what to do, I decide to drive round to the McDonalds Reception where after giving an account of these events, I was nonchantly informed that I had been upgraded to the Highland hotel further down the way.

No explanation, no apology.

The Highland hotel is like a large Youth Hostel. All of the doors are sticky, the place smells of cigarette smoke, presumably coming from the smokers at the entrance and is terribly sign posted.The room was small, shabby and dated.

Upgrade??? Only if they meant from the building site which is now the Four Seasons.

On the positive side, we ate in the Aspects restaurant which was the only positive aspect of the whole stay. It was under staffed. but the staff were very pleasant and did their best. The food was excellent.

On saying that, breakfast was understaffed as well and a bit of a shambles.

If the Four Seasons is closed why not tell people, rather than con them into believing that the hotel which they've viewed on the website is where they will be staying and putting them in another hotel and conning them again by saying it's an upgrade.

I welcome some response from the hotel management, who were conspicuous by their absence during our check in and checkout.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dalethedog
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Relations Manager at Strathspey Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear Dalethedog

Thank you for your review about the Four Seasons Hotel, the title of which we do not agree with. We obviously do however want to solve what is clearly a very complicated scenario as we do not have your contact details to be able to respond directly to you. To this end please at your convenience please feel free to contact me at the telephone number provided below so we can resolve this issue for you.

Best Regards

01479 815 123

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Had a really nice room with a fantastic view. Staff were friendly and helpful made you feel very welcome. The food on the resort was of a very high standard.
Excellent Leisure Facilities according to my partner. I decided to opt for a couple of treatments in the spa which were great again the girs in the spa were fantastic. The Resort is located a couple of minutes from the village. Had a Great Stay and will return soon.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dgm037
Dear Dgm037
Thank you for your feedback – it is always a pleasure to read such positive comments about the resort and the staff and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Belfast
Reviewed January 20, 2011

As with the previous reviews the hotel is tired and in need of a complete refurbishment. Stayed for Hogmanay, food was horrendous, service was terrible and the brochure was misleading. I would recommend the Cairngorm Hotel at the bottom of the hill where the food is home made and every member of staff smiles and wants to have a friendly chat, you can tell this is the place to eat & stay in Aviemore the restaurant & bar were heaving.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank AmyThomas
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Relations Manager at Strathspey Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your dining experience whilst staying at the Resort. Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is very important to us and we would strive to improve this where this has not been the case.

If you would like to contact me at the hotel directly, Gina Macpherson, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and to resolve any issues for you.
Newcastle
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Sstayed here for skiiing break with friends over new year on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast deal. Food was good with plenty of choice on the buffet and was of decent quality. Staff were friendly and helpful. Bedroom was clean and comfortable but in line with all public areas was in need of renovation as the furnishings are dated and worn throughout.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Relations Manager at Strathspey Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
Dear GillWBay

Thank you for your review, I know our executive chef, Mark Swinney and his team will be delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience while staying with us.

I have passed on your kind comments to all of the staff and we are happy to have been of service to you.

We note your comments on the room and will ensure that we take these points on board when completing our refurbishment planning for the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Aviemore Resort in the near future.
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Nice hotel

Helpful and efficient staff
Good location
Rooms nice as you would expect in a 4 star

But the same menu 2 nights running at the Aspect restaurant is not acceptable given the narrow choice of just 3 things. I hope it changes tomorrow!

There are other places to eat but I was hoping to take advantage of a traditional hotel dinning room.

• Stayed December 2010
Dear York 21

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay with us.

I have checked with our Executive Chef and he assures me that there is always a choice of six main courses available on the Aspects restaurant. The menu items reflect the seasonality of our fresh produce.

Across the resort we have several dining options available to guests including Aspects, we also have Laggan lounge bar and Giovanni’s Italian Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.