The resort style of this hotel complex may not appeal to all; there are 4 hotels with shared facilities built within 100 or so yards of the railway station. The Macdonald group are catering for all tastes, being peasants we went for the cheapest! Actually we were advised that the Academy Hotel had larger rooms which suited our group of 2 adults and one child. Our room was a good size with a smallish bathroom but a full sized bath. Our daughter had a proper bed not a Z bed which was one of the reasons we opted for this hotel. Generally the condition of the hotel was OK but in many areas it was tired and tatty with worn carpets and scratched doors in the corridors. The resort seemed to be popular with tourist coaches and the range of nationalities was wide. Quite why an American from sunny California would want to endure a wet and miserable Scotland in preference to his homeland remains a mystery. Presumably in search of his Highland ancestry he would undoubtedly have discovered why so many Scots left; it was not a result of the Clearances but the weather! Some noisy occupants of an adjacent room disturbed us late at night having one of those unnecessarily loud “corridor conversations”. We enjoyed disturbing them next morning when making our way to an early train. Small pleasures! The complex has a range of dining facilities and a superb swimming pool. There is a great outdoor play area for the kids which we made the most of during a lull in the rain. Buses pass right through the resort but that said the main street is right next door. A Tesco supermarket lies just below the Academy Hotel and there was a degree of noise from early deliveries. Nothing special about the resort but it’s in a good location, is clean and tidy and provides reasonable accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is one of three 4-star hotels located within Macdonald Aviemore Resort situated at the very heart of the Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands. This hotel is most popular with families who enjoy the special family rooms featuring special bunk rooms giving kids their own space within their parents room - a popular option with all family members! You'll find everything you need and more within the wider resort - luxury brand shopping, a cinema, top-class restaurants, state-of-the-art Aviemore Activity Centre, family activities, swimming pool - and for golfers, the Spey Valley Championship Golf Course. Recently voted one of the best in Scotland, this course boasts some of the most breathtaking views in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Aviemore Highland Hotel Aviemore
- Macdonald Aviemore Hotel At Macdonald Aviemore Resort Scotland