“Good lesuire facilities, central location, bad beds !”

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Enjoyed our stay here, kids loved the swimming pool with wave machine, flume ride etc. Beds were very flimsy and not a great sleep to be honest. Rooms clean and tidy, breakfast was lovely and relaxed and best of all not too busy! Central location for all activitites and right on main town street.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort

Reviewed July 18, 2009

Have just returned from a trip to Aviemore with my husband and three sons staying in the Woodland lodges at the Macdonald resort. The lodges are well spaced out in a wooded area and were very spacious and clean. They were well equipped and we were able to use the other facilities in the resort - the kids enjoyed the leisure pool and flume (the only negative was that the flume only ran intermittently) I would recommend the activities at the Rothiemurchus estate if staying in the area. My husband and two of the boys went fishing and caught 4 rainbow trout which we cooked for dinner. I went canoeing with my other son on one of the most beautiful small lochs called Loch an Eilean. Great experience - the company that Rothiemurchus use was called Boots N Paddles - the guide Becky was great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2009

As part of a tour, we stayed at one of the hotels of the Aviemore Highland Resort. Since we were on tour and only stayed there one night, I'm assuming we got what we paid for. The hotel we were in was old, not updated and the rooms were small and quiet hot even with the heat turned down. The other hotel building with the main check-in looked luxurious...hence the getting what you paid for.

The town itself was very beautiful but very small and there was not much to do at all.

The breakfast and dinner was very good - excellent food and we had a choice of what we wanted.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed June 19, 2009

The good points about the Highland Resort (where we stayed for 3 nights) : the very friendly well trained staff, the location, the leisure centre, the views from the breakfast room (in good weather)
Not so good: the appearance - ugly concrete monstrosity - what were the planning committee thinking? When you first arrive it can be difficult to find your room - we were actually very close to the restaurant but went in by a back door and spent 10 minutes traipsing up and down looking for the room, The Aspects restaurant - very expensive, very minimalist (i.e. very small portions) and not good value for money but happily there are lots of options nearby. However breakfast is good and the girl who greets you is very friendly.
Aviemore is a great base to get out and about and the leisure centre is great to relax in at the end of the day. Bring your thermals though - even in June it was very cold and there was snow on the mountains.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I had the misfortune to stay at the Macdonald Aviemore Highland Resort for work one Sunday night and apart from the views from the Aspects restaurant and leisure centre with excellent swimming pool I could not find one redeeming feature about the resort. Be warned as there are two hotels - one is the ugly office block Four Seasons immediately on your left as you enter the resort and the other is the luxury rooms which is nearer the leisure centre and has the Aspects restaurant.

My room was in the Four Seasons. Upon arrival at 2.30pm I expected my room to be ready. A half hour wait later, after lunch in the uninspiring food hall, I walked back to the hotel lobby and went to my room. This was dated and overall not very nice. Why did I not complain? I was tired after my flight and drive so did not feel like going back to the main reception to complain in person.

The leisure centre was clean, modern and had excellent facilities. I ate at the Aspects restaurant (smart dress recommended but I saw groups in jeans and t-shirts which I would not class as smart) where I had food which was alarmingly quick to table. The view was lovely of the mountains.

When I returned to my room which was at the front of the hotel, I discovered the joys of listening to the smokers' inane conversations as the smoking area was directly underneath. Combine this with the cigarette smoke wafting up through my open window, you can imagine the scene where, in my dreams, I emptied a glass of water over their heads. Alas, tiredness luckily overcame me and I feel asleep only to be woken up by the phut phut of the tour bus emitting fumes as it waited for the tour occupants to finish their breakfast.

Which brings me onto the worst breakfast I've ever had in Scotland (for England, try the Quality Inn at Wembley). This included the choice of tinned grapefruit which looked as it had been mixed with ash (only made better with salt), greasy meat offerings and sweaty mushrooms. The claim at lunch that at breakfast 'real' freshly squeezed orange juice was served must have escaped the Four Seasons as I imagine all the oranges were billetted to the kitchens of its luxury sister hotel across the way.

Aviemore itself is lovely but I would never stay at the Macdonald Aviemore Highland Resort again so check where they put you and say no to the Four Seasons.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We stayed in the Highlands Hotel in the Macdonald Aviemore last week for 2 nights on a bed and breakfast basis. After checking in at the main reception centre, we drove round to the hotel to be told by the receptionist that the best way to get to our room would be to go back outside and in by the fire escape. As previous reviewers have said, this fire escape entrance is pretty grotty and run down and leads to a small lift to take you to the higher floors. We were confused like others have said, as you then have to carry your luggage back down a half flight of stairs to get to the corrider if thats where your room is. We were very disappointed with the view from our room as we expected to have a mountain view (on the macdonald website it says "standard rooms have a mountain view"...."hotel has 151 luxury rooms-with-a-view"). Unfortunately, as the hotel is in a U-shape we faced directly onto the opposite side of the building onto a roughcast wall, we could only see the mountains if we pressed our nose against the window and looked to our right! We contacted guest services and were told we could upgrade to an executive room for an extra charge but these rooms all face to the back of the hotel. We did decide to move to the executive room as we were so disappointed in the first room (it was small with quite a tiny bathroom) and despite the view still not being that good but at least looked out onto a hillside, we found the executive room to be very nice - these appear to have been updated more recently. It was a large room, with a large comfortable bed, large bathroom with a good, powerful shower. Breakfast was very good, the lady who greets you at breakfast is very friendly. The Highlands hotel is very strange as it is very modern when you enter reception, as is the bar area and Aspects restaurant (4*)however as soon as you open the door to go to the bedrooms it all seems very dated (2-3*). We didn't eat in the hotel at night or use the leisure facility next door though it looked as though it would be good fun for children. We enjoyed our stay in Aviemore as there are so many places nearby to visit but would not choose to stay at this hotel in future. My boyfriend played golf on the Spey Valley course and found it to be a good challenge with some very pretty scenery.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Just returned from our third trip to Academy Hotel at Aviemore. Have been on two "Santa Breaks" - which are excellent value for money and great fun for kids.

Staff always very friendly and helpful, only complaint is quality and cost of food in resort, particularly Giovanni's. Kids buffet is £7.50 per head, with cost of drink £1.50 on top. We were £50 for a one course meal with a glass of wine (£6.00!) and a lager.

Would recommend Cairngorm Hotel for meals - food excellent and very reasonably priced.

This is my only complaint with Aviemore HIghland Resort - would not hesitate to recommend it but just don't eat in resort!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family