“Not a good experience”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Carp, Canada
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the property as part of a group. We got to the property late and left early in the morning, so we did not experience all of what the resort may have to offer.

There are issues with this property. In most cases, the small lift will not get you to the floor you are at. You will end up half-floor, and have to go up or down stairs. The room was tiny and uncomfortable. Cleanliness left to be desired. Internet is for a fee. Breakfast was fine.

I was not impressed by this property at all and would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rene B
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Services at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Rene B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you feel left disappointed after your stay with us as we always aim to provide the best guest services available. I do wish you would mention any issues with getting to the room to us during you stay in order for us to find a room more comfortable for your stay.
Complementary wireless is offered in our conference centre for all guests, but I am sorry that you were not informed of that. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant breakfast experience.
Thank you again for writing a review and we hope you welcome you back again in the future.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Was booked to stay here for one night on 6th Aug with a group of 4. When checking in was told we had been upgraded to a lodge, which was beautiful and had 2 double en suite rooms and a twin en suite room large living area and galley kitchen. The lodge was spotlessly clean and we spent a lovely night there. Breakfast at the Highland resort was very good lots of choice from cereals, fresh fruit to a full cooked breakfast. Would defiantly go back.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear JulzShel
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you had such a great stay and found the lodge accommodation for your party, it is always a pleasure to read – thank you for your kind words.
The breakfast is always popular with our guests and I am happy that you enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the future.
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a family room on the ground floor. Well equipment with additional fancy toiletries & fab power shower. Two glass bottles of water which were replenished daily. Reception staff fine, card machine problem meant we missed out on our free £10 booking gift. The pool area was much improved since our last yearly visit - wave machine, slide & warm much better. Our young daughters enjoyed the conference centre inflatables on a soaking wet day. Italian restaurant very good alth wine a little pricey but what's expected at resorts. House keeping fantastic since I left my expensive GHD's in room draw - was found that day an ready for return upon my inquiry. Only fault was service at breakfast - arrive near closing time and you'll pay. Lack of tables (alth large tables of 8 free) so myself, husband, child plus child in high hair cramed on a table for 2! Had to repeatedly ask for cutlery, napkins, cups etc. Dissappointing on our last day. Would recommend & look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear LittleMissKR
Thank you for the time taken to write a review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the facilities offered on site and had a comfortable stay with your family.
I am sorry to hear that you were not able to make use of your £10 voucher towards any incidentals. Please get in contact with us directly in order for us to refund you the £10.
Please note that your comments regarding the breakfast have been passed on to the relevant department.
We look forward to welcome you back again in the future.
Montrose
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We recently stayed here for 3 nights. On first appearances, we went to the resort reception and pre-registered as our room was not ready (we were early). When we finally went to check in at The Highlands Hotel, the receptionist asked for my credit card in case of any charges to the room, and I advised her I had already provided this at the resort reception. She told me there was not one on file and asked again for my card. I gave her a card, which happened to be a different one to the one I had paid with (the one they referred to at resort reception), and she said that it did not match the one she had... so she did have one! Not a good start.

On first appearances, the reception area and bar are really lovely, worthy of the 4* it boasts, so we were hopeful for the rest of the hotel... do not judge a book by it's cover!

We found that the bedrooms were small and so hot and stuffy, no air con or fans were provided to help with a good nights sleep... come on even the Premier Inn provide these! The TV's were so old and the whole room could be doing with an upgrade. Our room was situated on the 3rd floor and to get to our room we had to walk through a corridor which smelled really strongly of mould or dirty wet towels, very disgusting. Our room was made up by housekeeping way after 3pm each day which I felt was quite late, given that we were sometimes back in our rooms by then. The exception to this was on our day of check out, when they were knocking at our door at 9:15am! On the day of check out no-one should ever be making up the beds for someone else, and even if housekeeping were aware we were checking out that day, surely someone could have provided a list of those who had already checked out!

We did not eat at the hotel as the food and drink at the hotel was very over priced. My friends had a drink each at the bar and it cost over £11! A large glass of wine was £9.95.

I was very disappointed at breakfast when a member of staff said that my family could not all sit together. I advised my disappointment to another staff member, who made sure we could sit together the rest of our stay.

The swimming pool, sauna, steam room and changing facilities were excellent. The Jacuzzi did not appear to be working though. The first time we visited the pool, it was covered over, the second we were told there were no bubbles as it was a hot tub and not a Jacuzzi... Maybe someone should point out that it is marketed as a Jacuzzi and also that hot tubs HAVE bubbles! The water in the 'jacuzzi' was also colder than the pool...

Resort entertainment was not up to much, we took the kids to the cinema first off, where we had to queue for 30 mins to get a tickets, so the kids were missing the start of the film as there was only one staff member serving tickets, juice, popcorn and snacks!! Absolutely ridiculous!! We (along with many others), ended up sending the kids in and standing in the queue ourselves to pay. That didn't last long however as there seemed to be problems with the screen and everyone came out complaining to the one staff member, who could not go to get any assistance as he was still serving!

In an attempt to entertain the kids further, we took them to the karaoke and disco night, where there were approx. 5 people. Therefore they ended up in the cinema again and had to choose the only film there was on. There is on 2 different films shown over the course of one week and this was the 2nd.

On a plus point, my Mum had a lodge, and they were nice!

Overall I was very disappointed with the whole experience. I felt really let down from what promised to be a really good weekend. Definitely not a 4* hotel. I would not waste my money on staying here again. EVER.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
2 Thank lcs8010
Dear Ics8010
Thank you for the time taken to share you resort experience with us as we always highly appreciate guest feedback.
I am sorry to hear that you felt left down with the resort during your stay as we always strive to provide the best guest service possible.
Regarding your check in procedure – it is a company standard for all of our receptionists to physically see the card that guests wishes to use despite having a card on the system in order to confirm that it is in fact the guests card.
I am sorry that the time your room was cleaned was an inconvenience for you – please note that in case there is a specific time you wish to have your room serviced, do not hesitate to inform us in order to make your stay more comfortable. I understand that the cinema issues must have been frustrating. Unfortunately the day that you decided to attend we did have some issues with the 3D, which I do apologise about.
I am happy to hear that you had the chance to use the leisure facilities and found them enjoyable.
Please note that your comments regarding the rooms and corridors have been taken on board – the continuous investment into the resort will allow us to grow and develop in order for us to always provide the best possible guest services.
If you do wish to discuss you comments more privately directly with us – please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to speak with you.
We hope you get the chance to welcome you back again.
Guest Services

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

scotland
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I hope this helps those of you who a planning a trip to aviemore.
I would only recommend the highland and not the academy or the inn both look very run down in appearance.
The highland is four star and it is really comfortable. It has the aspects restaurant on site for a wonderful breakfast and a fantastic supper.
We also ate at the Italian on site and the food was also excellent there too.
I do feel though although your swim and gym is included in the price of your stay they then expect you to pay out again for the soft play and outside activities. I think that's abit much really. The pool is great. Very clean and good showers.
My advice is go flexible dining and you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Go for a view of the gardens on the ground floor. Flex dining Aviemore highland hotel only.
1 Thank m a
Dear m a
Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and found the resort accommodating.
It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed the dining on the resort – I know that the restaurants will be happy to hear that.

We look forward to welcome you back to the resort again.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have recently stayed here for 3 nights. We found that the communal areas of the hotel and resort were worthy of the 4* however the bedrooms were not. Our room was situated on the 3rd floor and to get to our room we had to walk through this corridor which smelt of mould and was very disgusting. Our room was very small. The TV was very old fashioned. There is no air con in the rooms or no fans available. Our room was made up by housekeeping after 3pm each day which I felt was quite late, apart from on the day of check out and they were banging at our door at 9:15am! The food and drink at the hotel was very over priced. My husband and I had a drink each at the bar and it cost over £11! A large glass of wine was £9.95. I can not fault the swimming pool area and facilities there they are excellent. I would not waste my money on staying here again. I think the rooms at a Premier inn are far superior and at least half the price!

Dear Beaglemad1981

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor – guest feedback is very important to us for continuous improvement.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay – please be aware that if there is a specific time you prefer to have your room serviced do not hesitate to inform us in order to make your stay more comfortable.
Please note that all your comments regarding the corridors have been passed on to the relevant department.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Booked this as the for the last night of our holiday on the way home thinking that as it was a Macdonald resort it would be excellent!! I was very disappointed! The check in procedure was a nightmare, there seems to be very little staff and we had to wait around 10 minutes for someone to come and check us in, there was no queue I might add. The staff were very friendly and helpful though. We then went up to our room which was a family room at the Academy hotel ( think there are 3 other hotels in the resort). The room was not what I had expected, dingy is the word that comes to mind. But dated would maybe be fairer, it is in need of a serious revamp. We had stayed in a Premier Inn in Livingstone the night before and I was far more impressed with it in comparison and I did pay a lot less for it. We then went downstairs later on at night and the staff showed us where to go to the family games room. My 9 year old daughter was excited about this as we all had great expectations for this. The look on her face said it all as we walked in to yet again a very dated looking hall with a bar and a pool table, some family games room this was. Decided to use the facilities in the morning after breakfast which was quite good and go for a swim, pool was great. It even had a flume so that kept the daughter happy. Changing rooms and toilets were immaculate which was impresssive compared to the rest. Overall I really don't think this Macdonald resort lives up to the name and would not recommend it to any friends or family based on the accommodation.

Room Tip: Cant speak for the other hotels on the resort but the Academy is one to be avoided.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear rosco19
Thank you for your review – it is always highly appreciate when guests take the time out to share their experience.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room during you stay – we are continuously investing into the resort which gives us the opportunity to always keep the guest services at the highest possible level.
I am happy to hear that you got the chance to use the leisure facilities and found them enjoyable.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back again.