“Nice resort - poor hotel.”

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
“Nice resort - poor hotel.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have recently stayed here for 3 nights. We found that the communal areas of the hotel and resort were worthy of the 4* however the bedrooms were not. Our room was situated on the 3rd floor and to get to our room we had to walk through this corridor which smelt of mould and was very disgusting. Our room was very small. The TV was very old fashioned. There is no air con in the rooms or no fans available. Our room was made up by housekeeping after 3pm each day which I felt was quite late, apart from on the day of check out and they were banging at our door at 9:15am! The food and drink at the hotel was very over priced. My husband and I had a drink each at the bar and it cost over £11! A large glass of wine was £9.95. I can not fault the swimming pool area and facilities there they are excellent. I would not waste my money on staying here again. I think the rooms at a Premier inn are far superior and at least half the price!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Services at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Beaglemad1981

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor – guest feedback is very important to us for continuous improvement.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay – please be aware that if there is a specific time you prefer to have your room serviced do not hesitate to inform us in order to make your stay more comfortable.
Please note that all your comments regarding the corridors have been passed on to the relevant department.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Booked this as the for the last night of our holiday on the way home thinking that as it was a Macdonald resort it would be excellent!! I was very disappointed! The check in procedure was a nightmare, there seems to be very little staff and we had to wait around 10 minutes for someone to come and check us in, there was no queue I might add. The staff were very friendly and helpful though. We then went up to our room which was a family room at the Academy hotel ( think there are 3 other hotels in the resort). The room was not what I had expected, dingy is the word that comes to mind. But dated would maybe be fairer, it is in need of a serious revamp. We had stayed in a Premier Inn in Livingstone the night before and I was far more impressed with it in comparison and I did pay a lot less for it. We then went downstairs later on at night and the staff showed us where to go to the family games room. My 9 year old daughter was excited about this as we all had great expectations for this. The look on her face said it all as we walked in to yet again a very dated looking hall with a bar and a pool table, some family games room this was. Decided to use the facilities in the morning after breakfast which was quite good and go for a swim, pool was great. It even had a flume so that kept the daughter happy. Changing rooms and toilets were immaculate which was impresssive compared to the rest. Overall I really don't think this Macdonald resort lives up to the name and would not recommend it to any friends or family based on the accommodation.

Room Tip: Cant speak for the other hotels on the resort but the Academy is one to be avoided.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear rosco19
Thank you for your review – it is always highly appreciate when guests take the time out to share their experience.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room during you stay – we are continuously investing into the resort which gives us the opportunity to always keep the guest services at the highest possible level.
I am happy to hear that you got the chance to use the leisure facilities and found them enjoyable.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back again.
Guest Services

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Glenrothes
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Having had to stop unexpectedly due to my wife having an upset, we booked into the above in the belief this would be similar to other Macdonald hotels we had used previously. The best price available was £161 or £201 including dinner. An upgrade was an additional £40 for a bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine [ not really necessary when feeling unwell] which was declined. We informed the front desk we would decide about dinner later however as it happens we ate a very light meal in their Italian establishment and paid directly. The room was poor - small and dirty with a huge stain on the carpet, the grouting of the bathroom tiles was disgusting and one would not have considered walking around in bare feet. The next morning we wnnt to settle our bill to be informed we were due £201 and our explanations of having paid the restaurant direct fell on deaf ears and a duty manager had to be called to sort matters out. Eventually after insisting on details of what exactly happened it now appears that instead of taking an imprint of my credit card initially, the woman took £100 and then unexplainably at 2am on the following morning proceeded to take an additional £101 hence her insistance this was what we were due. I believe the financial side has been adjusted back to £161 however to date I have not had the till receipts for the card transactions and despite a promise from their customer care department, nearly 2 weeks later I am still awaiting their comments. This establishment is seriously in need of a comprehensive make over and staff re-educated on how to conduct themselves and deal with issues such as we experienced. We were left with the impression that this is high season in Aviemore with many many bus parties and tourists ready to fill rooms at inflated prices so manners and customer service was in short supply. Visit Scotland would not have been impressed and regrettably I am sure many foreign tourists must be sorely disappointed with our Scottish hospitatity in Aviemore.
Allan Adam

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldAviemore, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Allan A

Thank you for your comments however you state that you have been waiting nearly two weeks and have not had any comment from the customer care department on investigation I can see that a response was sent to you on the 24th July, which was a week prior to you posting this review, addressing the concerns you raised in your email.

Kind Regards
The General Manager
Glasgow
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in the 4* hotel. While the reception area and bar were worthy of a 4* hotel but the rooms were not. We had a cot in our room (which we didn't ask for), the headboard was not long enough for the bed, the duvet stuck out about a foot from the end of the cover and we looked out onto a brick wall! The window was broken and the tv was very old!
We went to the pitch and putt on site, it was in very poor condition. Most of the grass was yellow and poorly kept. If it was free, we wouldn't have minded as much but it cost £14 for 4 people for 9 short holes.
The spa, gym and pool were good.
The food and drink were vastly over priced for what you got but that is the same across all McDonald hotels.
On the Saturday night, my dress was ripped as I waked passed one of their pictures. I'm still waiting on the outcome of this!

• Stayed July 2013
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Services at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Fiji777
Thank you for your time taken to write a review, we always appreciate all guest feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room you stayed in during your stay. The ongoing investment into the resort ensures that we are able to always offer the best possible guest service available.
I am happy that you had the chance to make use of and enjoyed the leisure facilities offered on site.
Please note that your comments regarding the pitch and putt have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant department.
We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

my friend and i visited this hotel. staff wonderful food excellent, clean rooms, but would like to see a small fridge in rooms, as some of us are on medication which requires refridgeration.
wonderful stay looking forward to the next one. well done aviemore hotel and resorts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Janet A
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review – I am absolutely delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I am geniounly happy to hear that the staff made you feel welcome as that is something that we work very hard on. Thank you for your feedback regarding the fridge – please be aware that if you do need to store anything in a fridge we are more than happy to keep it in the bar or kitchen for you.

We look forward to welcome you back again to the resort – and please do not hesitate to get in contact with us beforehand to request a fridge in the room as we might be able to accommodate that for you.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My partner and I came here for a few nights for a break. I want to start by saying the staff at this hotel are excellent they can’t do enough to help. They are friendly approachable and caring. The breakfast is great with all fresh produces. Our room was clean neat and the décor was appropriate for the location. The location of the hotel was great as it’s close to many restaurants and shops. The sights of the mountains where also very beautiful. Now on to my negative comments about the hotel. I didn't particularly enjoy the leisure facilities.. The pool was ok. The sauna and the steam room was good. The Jacuzzi was not on throughout my stay and appeared to be broken which was disappointing. Overall I don’t think I would return to the resort due to the fact that I don't think it was good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ctobin93
Dear Ctobin93
Thank you for the time taken to share your experience on the resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the room and location was accommodating for you. Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our staff – I know they will be absolutely delighted to here that they made you feel welcome.
Please be assured that your comments regarding the leisure facilities have been taken on board – I do appreciate the frustration that the Jacuzzi was not working during your stay, and I apologise about that.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner went to this hotel as we stayed in it before and he was playing in a golf comp.

We got there early and I went for a sleep as we traveled all morning.

I woke up and found a work man in my room. I was shocked and upset. I couldn't call my partner as he was out on the course.

When my partner came back he told me to email the manager which I did. Two days after we got back. I didn't want to ruin his comp or stress him out even more, m

The manger said I should have told them on the day it went on. Like I said to them I wanted it in writing and didn't want to ruin our trip

All I got was a sorry. It's not nice some random guy walks in when am sleeping. Anything could have went on.

Think the mangers need to get there work men told whos in each room. Not a happy person

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Nicolastevenson1
Dear Nicolastevenson1
Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a review – all guest feedback is always appreciated in order for us to continuously grow and develop.
I am genuinely so sorry about the incident that occurred during your stay with us, I can understand the extent of frustration you must have felt and I do apologise about it. We do have contracted workers on site occasionally and I am sorry that a miscommunication caused him to accidentally enter your room.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with us directly if you do wish to talk more privately about the incident.

Guest Service