“Not A Great Birthday Treat”

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed September 20, 2012

During 2011, my husband, 4 year old son and I went to stay at the Macdonalds Aviemore Highland Resort as a birthday treat for my husband. We booked for a 4 night stay on the official booking line and chose the all inclusive deal. This included, we were told our bed and breakfast and evening meals, plus drinks and use of all the facilities.It seemed an amazing deal and we were really excited about the trip, especially as it was a present for my husbands birthday.
When we checked in we were extremely impressed with our room and the general surroundings. The checkin staff could have been a bit friendlier but that did not seem a massive deal at the time. When we went to dinner for the first night we began to see that the deal was not all that we had been led to believe after all. We were only allowed to choose from the meals with stars by them which left us with a really poor choice of 3 starters and 2 mains, no veggie option. The dessert menu was quite reasonable. My main was very nice but my husbands was an extremely bone dry, overcooked salmon dish. The kids menu was chips, pizza, chips, nuggets, chips, chips and more chips. You get the picture. We were then told that none of our drinks were free, not even the soft ones, which was absolutely not what I had been told when I booked the trip. Everything went down hill pretty much from then on. The kids menu did not get better and when after 2 days our son was begging for some veg he was called weird by the waitress, who incidently had to send out to one of the other hotels to find some greenery for him. We thought it was a disgrace that a hotel that boasted of a great kids menu was serving up crap fast food morning, noon and night.
The next day we also discovered that we did not have all inclusive use of the facilities at all but had to pay for everything except the pool and gym. Non of the kids club stuff was free at all.
To top it all off our son was injured by a large, heavy metal 3 pronged bathroom door peg which was not screwed into the door but just sitting loosely in the hole. When we reported all this to the manager it actually looked like our complaints would be taken seriously. Alas no. They admitted wrong doing in all of the above mentioned and assured us that each individual incident would be taken care of. 3 days after my son was injured the hook had still not been screwed in to the door and this included on the day of checkout. We were given a paltry amount of cash back in light of the dreadful mis-sold holiday, our drinks bill reimbursed, which was not a huge amount as we drank soft drinks mainly. Eventually after a month I got a letter from a member of management saying sorry and here is 1 night B and B For you all. This was not likely to be any good to us as it would be a 5 hour round trip, check in, eat a terrible meal, stuff my son full of junk, sleep and then drive home. This was not really compensation. The company was extremely lucky that we did not sue them for the injury to my son. I sent an e mail saying pretty much all that word for word and never heard another thing.
The shame of it is that generally 80% of the staff were lovely and the pool and gym were lovely. The breakfast was extremely good and our room was lovely. All the other stuff really lets the place down and ensures that we would never, ever visit again and would absolutely not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank caroline m

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We've stayed here for the last 4 years in October half term. We always rent one of the woodland lodges and love it. There are four of us but the lodges are for 6 so we have lots of space. There's lots to do even in October; Treezone nearby which is fantastic, Lots of lochs to walk to or round (Loch Enilien) is our favourite. The little village of Aviemore is nice too and the 4 ish mile Spey Way makes for a great bike ride or torch lit walk.
The Macdonald resort has a swimming pool and gym, both of which are clean and well equipped. The pool even has a fairly big curly slide, kids pool and jaccuzzi.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: any woodland lodge
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here two nights while on vacation and were pleased to enjoy a slower pace in Aviemore than we had in Edinburgh. When we arrived at the resort, we made our way to the front desk to find that we had been upgraded to a newer facility on the resort campus b/c our original hotel was overbooked. This was our first visit to this resort and were curious about all the facilities and offerings onsite.The manager that checked us in was very personable or interested in answering our questions. Thankfully, our experience got better from there. We were pleased with our room- very comfortable and so many things to do at the resort. Got some great deals shopping onsite and the restaurants were high quality. Breakfast each day was excellent. They had something for everyone and far more than you can eat. We looked forward to each breakfast. The service in the restaurants was also top notch. We did lots of walking through town and throughout the resort. There were bunnies everywhere enhanced the feeling of being out in the countryside. it was so charming and they were fun to watch.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank midntmtncatfarm
Reviewed September 10, 2012

room ok but not 4 star unless 4 out of ten stars!
breakfast on saturday when they took your order then you had to wait 45 mins for service useless!
on sunday breakfast buffet much better and more efficient
ridiculously overpriced bar - £12 for a double oban whisky which cost £6 at a bar in the main street
on night 2 I bought a lovely bottle of chilled marlborough sauvingnon blanc from tescos at £6 which was cheaper than the £6+ large glass of HOUSE wine at the bar
the downside I had to stay in the room but actually the bar was completely dead and lacking atmosphere (probably everyone else had been to tescos too)so was no bad thing
another annoying thing was that as I purchased a dinner bed and breakfast deal I didn't expect to only choose random "starred" items from the menu
all in all very poor would not go back and did email them to let them know but received no reply!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The MacDonald Resort consists of four hotels: The Highlands Hotel is a four star hotel and very nice although the staff could be friendlier and more professional. The Four Seasons is a concrete high rise but has reasonably sized rooms. The food is average but it's certainly ok. The Aviemore Inn is a bit of a hit and miss - if you're in the rooms facing the main reception you will have hot water pipes running through your room uninsulated. So your room temperature will be around 27 degrees. If you want to open the window t o cool it down you have to open the curtains which lights up your room at night because of the nice bright spotlights outside the building. Apart from that the rooms are old and the bathrooms could use an overhaul. The Academy seems to be reserved for big groups like school trips or other youth groups. The rooms are ok but it doesn't have its own restaurant or reception so you have to walk to one of the other buildings for your food or if you have any problems/questions. One the upside the resort is very central, has loads of parking space and a leisure centre, free for every hotel guest. It consists of a swimming pool (with wave machine), a sauna, a steam room, a gym and a 'drop-your-kids-off'-playground. To avoid complications I'd book the Highlands Hotel straightaway.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We have stayed in one of the resort's chalets on three seperate occasions and in a different chalet each time. They are excellent value for money, convenient and private. They come equiped with a flat screen tv, dvd player and small but very servicable kitchen. They have all been very clean and we have enjoyed our stay each time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

It has been 30 years since I last stayed in Aviemore and my memories were of a run-down, shabby resort trying to be something it never quite managed to achieve. My return last week merely served to reinforce those memories.

I booked a room in the MacDonald Four Seasons on a last-minute website and when I arrived, the place was deserted apart from a lonely receptionist who told me I had been upgraded to the sister hotel 200 yards away in the MacDonald Resort.

The reception was warm and efficient and I had a drink and sandwich before bed. The service was prompt, friendly and professional and the surroundings plesant.

The hotel is laid out in a series of dormitory blocks and on entering mine it was plain to see that Time had not been kind to its interior: peeling doors that close with difficulty, drab old decoration, dim lighting, a lift that looks like a service elevator - and the room itself has a tired feel about it.

It just screams for investment and renovation.

However, the staff were pleasant, the breakfast was great, the service was very good and the value for money at £70 for B&B was about correct, in my opinion.

The bottle of wine and sandwich was a bit expensive at £34 but it would be churlish to complain on that front, given it was around 11pm.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family