During 2011, my husband, 4 year old son and I went to stay at the Macdonalds Aviemore Highland Resort as a birthday treat for my husband. We booked for a 4 night stay on the official booking line and chose the all inclusive deal. This included, we were told our bed and breakfast and evening meals, plus drinks and use of all the facilities.It seemed an amazing deal and we were really excited about the trip, especially as it was a present for my husbands birthday.
When we checked in we were extremely impressed with our room and the general surroundings. The checkin staff could have been a bit friendlier but that did not seem a massive deal at the time. When we went to dinner for the first night we began to see that the deal was not all that we had been led to believe after all. We were only allowed to choose from the meals with stars by them which left us with a really poor choice of 3 starters and 2 mains, no veggie option. The dessert menu was quite reasonable. My main was very nice but my husbands was an extremely bone dry, overcooked salmon dish. The kids menu was chips, pizza, chips, nuggets, chips, chips and more chips. You get the picture. We were then told that none of our drinks were free, not even the soft ones, which was absolutely not what I had been told when I booked the trip. Everything went down hill pretty much from then on. The kids menu did not get better and when after 2 days our son was begging for some veg he was called weird by the waitress, who incidently had to send out to one of the other hotels to find some greenery for him. We thought it was a disgrace that a hotel that boasted of a great kids menu was serving up crap fast food morning, noon and night.
The next day we also discovered that we did not have all inclusive use of the facilities at all but had to pay for everything except the pool and gym. Non of the kids club stuff was free at all.
To top it all off our son was injured by a large, heavy metal 3 pronged bathroom door peg which was not screwed into the door but just sitting loosely in the hole. When we reported all this to the manager it actually looked like our complaints would be taken seriously. Alas no. They admitted wrong doing in all of the above mentioned and assured us that each individual incident would be taken care of. 3 days after my son was injured the hook had still not been screwed in to the door and this included on the day of checkout. We were given a paltry amount of cash back in light of the dreadful mis-sold holiday, our drinks bill reimbursed, which was not a huge amount as we drank soft drinks mainly. Eventually after a month I got a letter from a member of management saying sorry and here is 1 night B and B For you all. This was not likely to be any good to us as it would be a 5 hour round trip, check in, eat a terrible meal, stuff my son full of junk, sleep and then drive home. This was not really compensation. The company was extremely lucky that we did not sue them for the injury to my son. I sent an e mail saying pretty much all that word for word and never heard another thing.
The shame of it is that generally 80% of the staff were lovely and the pool and gym were lovely. The breakfast was extremely good and our room was lovely. All the other stuff really lets the place down and ensures that we would never, ever visit again and would absolutely not recommend this place to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is one of three 4-star hotels located within Macdonald Aviemore Resort situated at the very heart of the Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands. This hotel is most popular with families who enjoy the special family rooms featuring special bunk rooms giving kids their own space within their parents room - a popular option with all family members! You'll find everything you need and more within the wider resort - luxury brand shopping, a cinema, top-class restaurants, state-of-the-art Aviemore Activity Centre, family activities, swimming pool - and for golfers, the Spey Valley Championship Golf Course. Recently voted one of the best in Scotland, this course boasts some of the most breathtaking views in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Aviemore Highland Hotel Aviemore
- Macdonald Aviemore Hotel At Macdonald Aviemore Resort Scotland