“Sunday Carvery ? I DONT think so !!!”

Spey Valley Carvery
Ranked #43 of 60 Restaurants in Aviemore
Cuisines: Cafe
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Sunday Carvery ? I DONT think so !!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Was staying the weekend in Aviemore, not here thankfully, but on walking up to the resort, saw a huge billboard, advertising the Atrium Restaurant, which were doing a special offer, on a 'Traditional Roast Carvery'. Brilliant, we thought, as the offer was buy one and get the other one free. On the sign there was a picture of a huge roast joint of beef or pork, with fluffy yorkshire puddings at the side. Great, we thought, so popped into the restaurant and confirmed with the supervisor, that this was indeed the deal, and it would be available on Sunday, and told us there was no need to book. Excellent, we said, and went away, looking forward to this feast. Sunday morning, had a wander around this lovely area, skipping a large breakfast, in anticipation of our 'Traditional Roast Carvery'. As this offer was only available from 12pm till 12.30pm, we arrived at 11.45am and thought we would have a drink in the bar. The barmaid said 'will be back in a minute', and that was the very last we saw of her!!! While my husband was standing at an empty bar, I had a look at the drinks list, to see what wine was available, Well, I was so glad I did, as the prices were RIDICULOUS !! A glass of rose' was between £7.50 and £8.00 ! WHAT!!!!and a can of coke was £2.85. So, as there was no-one there anyway, thought we might skip this. The 'CARVERY' opened at 12.00pm and we went up to the counter, wondering where it was??? The chef appeared from through the back, with a big carving knife, still confused, we asked him what there was?? 'This is it' he said, and pointed to a joint of BACON !!!!!!!! and a jug of gravy?? and some mashed potato, roast potato and carrots and red cabbage, completely free of garnish or indeed flavour !! I pointed out that I had bacon for breakfast and didnt want it again, so he said, well you can have that then, and pointed to a dish of lasagne, curried vegetables or sweet and sour something !! I would have walked out at this point, but my husband was starving, so went along with it, and had the lasagne and roast potato, Dry and tastless, as expected. My husand went for the bacon, also tastless along with everything on his plate. He THEN asked me why I hadnt walked out !!! I complained to the supervisor, who didnt really care, as she was busy putting our money in her till. !!! I dont know in what country this is a 'Traditional Roast' but it certainly isnt Scotland, as we have a sunday roast every week and I have never had BACON !!! The fact that there was only 3 couples having lunch sort of explained a lot. The big advertising board at the bottom of the road, was a total mis-representation of what was ACTUALLY on offer. We were furious, as we could have gone to a proper restaurant in the village, and had an ACTUAL roast dinner cooked properly. There are many lovely places to eat in Aviemore, but this is NOT one of them. Sort of spoiled our weekend away, as we spent a long time looking forward to a Sunday roast that we havnt had to cook ourselves. It is about time the Macdonald Resort got a grip, and stopped treating their customers with the indifference that they do, they are not THAT exclusive, like they think they are, people can go elsewhere, and we certainly will in future !!!

2 Thank cavaqueen11
General M, General Manager at Spey Valley Carvery, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, I was sorry to hear about your experience with us, and I can only apologise for the missunderstanding and the way your order was taken at the time of your visit, , and I would like to send my heartfelt apologies if this was not made clear to you by the member of staff whilst taking your order. We do advertise carvery 7 days a week and not sunday roast only. All of our fresh ingredients are delivered daily, to ensure quality of produce, and are prepared to order by our team of chefs. We here at Spey Valley Carvery work hard as a team to bring the freshest of ingredients to our customer, So I will ensure that the matter of your concern is dealt with through on going staff training both within our front and back of house.Our Wine prices start from £4.95 and the can of coke is £1.10

Best Regards

The Genaral Manager

“Better then good”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Great breakfast and lunch with great costs coffee. Servers were great and place extremely clean and welcoming.

• Visited September 2013
MacdonaldAviemore, General Manager at Spey Valley Carvery, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments, I will pass them on to our chefs who are always pleased to hear of customer feedback, All of the produce we use is delivered fresh daily, and we only use locally sourced meat. This enables us to provide a quality product to our customers. We here at Spey Valley Carvery work hard on a daily basis to provide the best food and service, so to receive comments like yours are very welcome, and help to promote what we are trying to achieve here at Spey Valley Carvery

London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Experience!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We went with family to the Spay Valley Carvery for lunch before going to the Giovanni's Italian. The food was first class quality and for sure good value for money. We paid £9. 95 for two main courses as we were very lucky to be there for happy hour.. Received great service and walked out with a big smile. Would highly recommend to others.

Visited September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review,all customer feedback is so important to all of the team here at Spey Valley Carvery, I will pass on your comments to the kitchen team who are always happy to hear reviews from customers.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I cant say iv had a better experience anywhere else! Great staff and great food! Definitely recommend this place to everyone.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank jrory86
MacdonaldAviemore, General Manager at Spey Valley Carvery, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovely comments about your visit to us. I have passed on your compliments to our staff who are very grateful. We hope to welcome you back to The Spey Valley Carvery again soon.

Vilnius, Lithuania
“Good”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had a lunch on very busy day. Food was delicious, beautifully presented and nice ambiance.
Fast service and pleasant staff. Realy will be back.

• Visited August 2013
MacdonaldAviemore, Manager at Spey Valley Carvery, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your review, all of the team here at Spey Valley Carvery work hard to provide our customers with quality produce and service for our lunch time dining experience, our menu never compromise the quality of the dishes being offered and our chefs work hard to ensure that this is the case. I will pass on your comments to our team who are always happy to hear feedback from our customers