“Best place to eat in Aviemore”
Review of Ben Macduis Inn - CLOSED

Ben Macduis Inn
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family friendly restaurant/bar serving a wide range of Scottish dishes prepared daily on the premises using the best of Scottish produce,Our chefs are very flexible and more than willing to accommodate any request.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Best place to eat in Aviemore”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Exasperated at the sameness of the eateries in and around Aviemore we ventured here earlier this year. As a previous respondent states looks are very deceptive. Who would have thought that this restaurant would provide such interesting "specials" or that service would be so good and attentive. Great for couples singles or families. This restaurant has now become a must visit every time we are in the area. It doesn't have to be the specials as the core menu is enough for most tastes. The service is certainly attentive with all ensuring that your experience in the restaurant is an enjoyable one. In fact this place is such a find I was almost loathe to share. Been there at least 5 times this year and have yet to be disappointed. Go, enjoy but leave room for me!

Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and value! Brilliant for the family!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us whilst visiting Landmark. What a find! We live not too far away.....so will definitely be regular visitors with our family and friends from now on! It's so refreshing to have friendly service and brilliant food too! Our kids have already decided they want to have their birthday meals there!

teesside
“Best bar in Aviemore Kids Welcome”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Smart but chilled.
great atmosphere and very comfortable surroundings, SanMiguel on draft great pint.
kids very welcome aslo a huge bonus for families.
Grab a booth and waste a few hours with easy music great service and a beer or 6 with some nice food to top it off

1 Thank markofdboro
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Superb Steak & Ale pie”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Attentive service, delicious Steak and Ale pie. Excellent house wine too. Would definitely eat here again if I was passing through.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Portions, Great Service, Tasty Food, Nice Atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

First time eating at this bar/restaurant and as it was a very busy bike rally weekend we had to wait for a table for 20 minutes, but we didn't mind as this was expected. We had not booked and just got a drink and sat outside until we were called in to be sat at our table.There are different styles of seating, when you are in the bar area there are benches and longer tables but then at the top of the bar, up a couple of steps and there is some more cosy seating at smaller tables. For me, as I walk with a stick or crutches it was a little cramped, however it didn't really cause an issue apart from when the person behind got up and banged into my seat which hurt like hell, but that's just because of my injury. The staff were very helpful and noticed I used a walking aid and helped carry drinks to the table. I didn't want a starter but my friend ordered the beef nachos started and I had my main course at the same time, mussels with white wine and cream. Well, the surprise when the nachos came out!! The portion, for a starter was enough to share between two people. We did ask the waitress if this was the started and not the share portion, she did confirm it was indeed the starter, so he ate as much as he could and I pinched a few to help ;-). The mussels were cooked well and came with some lovely rustic bread that soaked up the light, creamy and garlic sauce beautifully. It's the first time I have had a dish like that and haven't eaten the lot and wanted more. I had to leave some on my plate which is not because there was anything wrong with the food, it was because there really was enough for even a greedy guts like me! My friend had ordered the steak pie for his main course. A lovely individual pie which had a gorgeous light pastry crust and the filling was ample. He enjoyed the tender meat and delicious gravy which he mopped up with some of the chips it came with, there was a choice though of potatoes etc.
Well, the question I think most of us dread because if you're anything like me, you just can't resist a desert, no matter how full, there is always room for 'pudding'.
I opted for apple and cinnamon pie, which I expected would be a triangle of slightly under filled pie with a dollop of icecream. OH NO!! What came out looked like a large pork pie and a nice scoop of vanilla icecream on the side with a fruit coolis and side dressing of kiwi and strawberry. Firstly I was very impressed with the presentation, how nice to have something different than what I had described I expected. Tucked in with great delight and pleased that there was no skimping on filling and it was DELICIOUS!!
All in all absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Wish I had tried you out last year!! Will definitely be the top of my list of places to eat in Aviemore next year, or if I get there sooner.
Ben Macduis Inn also had live music on, not sure if this is seasonal, or because the Harley rally was on. Either way, great, free entertainment if you weren't booked in to one of the main venues.

• Visited August 2013