“Lovely B and B”

Ranked #22 of 29 Aviemore B&B and Inns
Sheffield
“Lovely B and B”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but this time I felt I must.

We spent 2 nights at Hillside Lodge to break our journey between Edinburgh and Skye. We could not have chosen better. The room was lovely, comfortable and exceptionally clean with wonderful views of the Cairngorms. Breakfast was delicious and filling with lots of choice, suffice it to say you will probably not need to eat any lunch. I particularly enjoyed the granola and the salmon and scrambled egg.

Maggie is a warm, welcoming and caring host and nothing was too much trouble. If this is only 4* I don't know what Maggie has to do to make it 5.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grannyjan81

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed one night at the hillside lodge before travelling to the Loch Ness marathon. The lodge accommodation was perfect, luxury standard and such a comfortable bed. Magpie made us feel so welcome and her hospitality was excellent. She even went out of her to give us jelly babies for the run and made us breakfast at 6am as we had an early start ahead of us! I would recommend this lodge to anyone and is only a few minutes drive away from shops, pubs and restaurants

1 Thank Joanna P
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

As a touring motorcyclist, I stay in dozens of b&b's every year, & this is the first time I've ever felt compelled to write a comment on trip advisor, although I always read everyone else's.
The best endorsement for me is word of mouth, & that's why I chose this b&b.
The rooms are huge & luxurious, the quietness of the surroundings are great, the location was perfect for me as I didn't want a town centre, but enjoyed the 15mn walk to the bars and restaurants.
I agree with the comments about the friendly atmosphere & great breakfast. Absolutely 1st class.
Without doubt, I will stay there again when I'm touring & will be recommending this establishment to those who want luxury surroundings & good quality friendly service over searching for the cheapest available search option.

Room Tip: only 2 rooms, both huge with beautiful views. Very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Pauloffshore
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed for two nights at The Hillside Lodge in Aviemore, and from the initial viewing and contact we were highly impressed. Having spent many years visiting Aviemore, and staying in numerous B&B's, hotels and even campsites. The Hillside Lodge setting was perfect for our two night stay, which Maggie made us feel warmly welcome. A more warm, interested and pleasant hostess you cannot find. You do not get that large hotel group 'commercial and clinical feeling' at a B&B, it is the personal, homestead feel we wanted, and that's what I understand most people look for in any B&B. You get that in buckets at The Hillside Lodge. So I do struggle with anyone describing Maggie as cold and aloof? We have stayed in many B&B's, tell me if I'm wrong here, they are all someone's home, aren't they?
So to criticise this B&B on its demographic and setting, I do find extremely odd and weak, particularly when it is in the magnificent Cairngorm National Park!
The house is a new build, stunning with magnificent views over the Cairngorms.
Breakfast was amazing, 7 choices to suit all palates, and the scrambled eggs were even cooked without butter to my wife's delight, who struggles to get her favourite breakfas; scrambled eggs with smoked salmon cooked like that anywhere. lol!
We shall return and highly recommend The Hillside Lodge for any travellelor, we cannot wait to return in winter!!

Room Tip: Next time we would get the South facing room over the Cairgorms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Britain
Reviewed September 6, 2013

If this is luxury accommodation with outstanding views then I don't wanna see anything basic or budget. We were received and quickly shown to our room. Our bedroom was OK - nothing more - it was sparse and had no luxury to it. Breakfast was fairly standard. It could have been better cooked - especially the meat parts. The owner was indifferent - not overly friendly - but not rude. The street and area lack any charm or beauty - in fact it was a depressing location. If Aviemore Hillside Lodge was graded three stars - or very cheap - then I might not have complained or been so negative. 2 out of 5.

3 Thank stageshow
stillonthemove44, Owner at Aviemore Hillside Lodge, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review about Aviemore Hillside Lodge and I am really sorry I did not meet your expectations.

This new B and B accommodation was assessed by Visit Scotland on 11th July 2013 and was judged to be a high 4* accommodation scoring 18 exeptional grades and 23 Excellent grades across the criteria. I was delighted to achieve 'excetional' for my breakfast and the many choices on the menu. A recent guest could not sing praises high enough of the locally smoked venison and beef served with local cheeses. I would be only too happy to prepare an alternative breakfast for any guest who is not satisfied with their breakfast. To date all my guests have been extremely complimentary about their breakfast .

I am sorry you judged me to be indifferent for which I apologise but at the same I find puzzling as I am passionate about the service I provide for my guests and pride myself on the attentive service and warm and friendly atmosphere I strive to generate.

As I do know who this reviewer is I hope you will contact me in order to resolve any issues you may wish to discuss with me either over the phone or in writing as I am always keen to ensure my guests are happy with their room and the breakfast I prepare. Please rest assured I will listen very carefully to any complaints and do my very best to put right anything that may have not been to your satisfaction on your visit.
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

As experienced users of bed and breakfast accomodation, we were highly delighted with our three nights spent at Aviemore Hillside Lodge. Maggie was a delightful host for our entire stay. We found the room to be of a very high standard. Beautiful comfy bed and excellent choice of breakfast which was beautifully cooked and presented. We can not recommend this place to stay highly enough. We enjoyed a gentle walk into aviemore ( 15 minutes) for our evening meals. We will defiantly stay again in the future and will look forward to meeting Maggie again who went out of her way to make us feel welcome and at home.
This is an ideal location for exploring the surrounding areas of Aviemore.
Rob and Ruth.

1 Thank Ruth S
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

After a long trip, we could not have asked for a better welcome from Maggie. We were stopping in Aviemore on the outward leg of our trip to Lochinver. We stayed in the large ensuite room with views of the cairngorms. We like space and the room provided it in bucket fulls with plenty of natural light and a lovely kingsize bed. A welcome site for weary bodies and minds.

The B&B is ideally located with a short walk into Aviemore, where we enjoyed an excellent meal at the International Starters restaurant.

We recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast. I have a reasonable appetite and was not left wanting following the breakfast. An excellent start to the next day of our trip.

When we are in this area again, we will certainly be contacting Maggie to see if see has room to squueze us in. We enjoyed our stay and our chats with Maggie and on reflection, it was the perfect start to our trip. A slice of luxury.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple