“Nice hotel with sad views”

Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Delhi, India
“Nice hotel with sad views”
Reviewed June 24, 2007

This is a very nicely managed hotel. Just one problem: all the rooms seem to have a view of the parking lot!

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2007

We stayed here for 4 nights last week. As with another poster, we got DB&B through Tesco Vouchers. Got upgraded to the family suite, which was perfect for my 9 & 13 year olds. Must have got one of the refurbished rooms too, as everything looked clean and fresh. The view wasn't exactly inspiring, looking over roofs, but then again, I didn't choose the hotel for views from windows!

We LOVED the buffet breakfast. Great choice, and eat as much as you like. We had every dinner at the hotel too (well, it was included in the price for us, although we had to purchase a 'meal plan' for the children, which at £14 each per day for breakfast and dinner soon mounted up). I thought the menu was just fine. Good choice of meals, and you could pick off the a la carte if you paid the extra 'supplements'.

DD and I went swimming. Didn't notice anything amiss - seemed clean, and thoroughly enjoyed the warm water. Spent enough money in the Fun House on video games. Children didn't want to go on the adventure play area bit, but really enjoyed the 9-hole putting course. Too wet, alas, to try the outdoor equipment.

My niggles? That there's no lift, I didn't notice any 'narrow' staircases as previously mentioned, but if you had to traipse up and down the wide stairs every day with a pram/buggy - well, I can imagine that would be rather irritating rather quickly!

Be aware the various refurbishments will be continuing until 2008 - whilst we were there, they erected a temporary wall in the foyer. However, eventually the refurbishments should include improved swimming facilities, for example.

If you go without children, you may find it rather noisy. I felt sorry for people trying to have a quiet drink and listen to the music in the foyer / bar area. Even at 11pm, children were running around shrieking.

Wi-fi access exorbitant: £7 for an hour. If you just need wi-fi access then try Cafe Mambo in Aviemore, or for internet access, the public library in Aviemore gives you 30 minutes free.

However, these are niggles. The good points far outweigh the niggles. I found the staff to be very pleasant and attentive - delighted when one of the dining room staff greeted me by name on the 3rd night. Quite a relaxed, friendly place.

Whilst my children are young enough to holiday with us, I would have no hesitation about going there again, and would recommend the place to other families.

I would recommend it to adults without children on the basis that its location was great for activities - very close to Rothiemurchus Estate, and further down the road, the Cairngorm mountains.

• Liked — Very family friendly
  • Disliked — No lift
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Gilliganuk
Norway
Reviewed April 9, 2007

This was our third stay at this hotel (2-6 apr). As usual our kids (8 and 10) had a great time. The rooms are a bit small, but who cares when you're having fun. Didn't spend much time in our room anyway! The kids high tea was ok, and the dinner in the Grant room was good. This is not a hotel I would go to without my kids (too noisy, and not up to the usual Hilton standard), but we keep coming back because the kids love it. And when they're happy, I'm happy. I wish they would do something about the locker rooms though! I had to force myself to go into them, becaude they were tacky!

• Liked — Nice for children
  • Disliked — The locker rooms!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Marie23
ayrshire
Reviewed March 30, 2007

I have just returned from a 3 night break and had a really great time.Stayed in room number 46, recently refurbished, very nice,clean and comfortable. We had dinner on first night which was ok ,decided to eat out for the remaining nights as the dinner prices were quite expensive, breakfast was really good with plenty of choice, drink prices were ok for a hotel, 3.20 for a bottle of beer, the foyer bar had a happy hour between 5-7, 2.40 for a pint 2.45 for a small glass of wine. The hotel is really child freindly, my son had a great time in the swimming pools, the kids club was also good, my only complaint was if you wanted to use facilities e.g tennis, golf and the funhouse outwith the kids club times there was a charge. The staff were very freindly and professional and nothing was too much trouble for them. So as i said earlier had a really great time and for what i paid 207.00 for 3 nights with dinner on the first night i would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to my family and freinds.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank redvanman