3,387 results
All reviewswoodshed barfun housefamily suiteinverdruie restauranttoddler breakmain restauranttwo double bedscrazy golfswimming pooltennis courtskids clubgreat for kidsbreakfast and dinnerschool holidayssoft playoutdoor activitiespublic areas
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Would definately reccomend it was a great hotel food lovely staff very helpful rooms spotless. Will definately go back.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

My 1 star overall review may seem inconsistent with the individual scores but on those I have rated the hotel fairly. What irks now is that in hindsight there were key areas not up to scratch for a hotel that is kid friendly. Add to that a frankly terrible evening meal (valued at £20 by Hilton) and since then no reply except a 4 holding emails shows they just don't care.

My key concerns

At the the time of visiting we thought that there were a few anomalies for a kid friendly hotel...

no kids allowed in the pool from 5-6.30 pm - even though there were 2 separate pools
kids fun factory shutting at 6pm even though opening hours said high season they stayed open till 8pm (we visited in July!)
as stated above the evening meal - for me some casserole in a dish with one school scoop of potato simply not good enough for any hotel.

It has been almost 3 weeks since my 1st complaint and nothing from the hotel direct and simple holding emails - most of which state they are busy in their complaints department. The quality of the hotels and their sub-standard customer service post visits no doubt the reason why they are so busy.

Is the hotel horrible - no. main reception is nice and the bar good. Add to that an (albeit over-priced) costa concession (over £4 for a coffee!) then in theory this should have been a place I would take my family back to.

Aviemore is a place we return to at least once a year - next time the Macdonald Resort will get our custom.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I recently visited this hotel with my family as a last minute break during the summer holidays. The main problem I can see with this type of hotel is that they are willing to charge top dollar prices, but provide less than acceptable facilities and service...

The problems started when we checked in to our standard family room. Straight away my wife noticed there was no air con. A very uncomfortable night followed for all when the only relief could be found by opening the window and letting the noise from the bar area in...

Next we found that while the staff were happy to hoover around everything, there was still debris left from previous occupants. When we moved the bed, we found a selection of loose sweets, sweet wrappers, crayon, bits of biro... I looked heavenward only to notice the ceiling seemed to be the setting for the Rocky Horror Show going by the cobwebs on it and quickly averted my eyes... When my wife pointed this out to the cleaning supervisor, she was assured that the room would be cleaned again. It was. In almost exactly the same places as it had been cleaned previously so that when we returned there were still the same crumbs and wrappers that there were before...

Next we enrolled the kids in the kids club so they could burn off some energy and I treated my wife to a drink at the cocktail bar where I was relieved of almost £15 for what can only be described as a mouthwash sized margarita and possibly the worst mojito I have ever had that was so minty I could have brushed my teeth with it...

Still, onwards and upwards and the next day we took the kids to the soft play area. Nice surprise here where we were charged £8 on top of the room fee to allow our kids into the play area. Do Hilton not own this play area? I'm struggling to see the justification for charging residents this amount. Although, to be fair, the bug my wife found in her drink did appear to be free! It was, in all fairness, replaced immediately.

The positives at this place are limited. Good quantity of reasonably tasting food (especially the breakfast) and a good outdoor play area.

I'm sure the Hilton are making a LOAD of money from this resort and have no need to pay attention to the assorted gripes and moans from dissatified customers on here, however my wife and I agreed that they could easily increase their revenue with a few basic changes. Although my kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves *(Thank the Lord!) I can safely say it will be a while before we return, if ever, to what is essentially a more upmarket Haggerston Castle.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I would like to point out at the beginning of this review that I'm really not a difficult person to please and this is the first negative review I have ever given a hotel. I'm used to staying in basic budget hotels for work and am not at all precious! I was just so appalled with the disparity between price and hotel grade and what we actually received for our money that I felt compelled to write...

My husband and I booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary weekend expecting to spoil ourselves with a little luxury.
Unfortunately we were sorely disappointed; the place is like a cheap holiday camp - firstly, the rooms: finished to a poor quality; garish decor with curtains that finish an inch before the bottom of the window; wonky fixtures, fittings and pictures; no hot water, lukewarm at best; bottled water at £3.75 per bottle in the room, no complimentary bottle, which is expected at these room prices; no milk on the tea tray.

Secondly the food: we booked a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast package and were advised when reserving our table in the restaurant to avoid family dining times as the place is noisy/full of children with it being school holidays...fair enough, booked for 8pm - on arrival dining room was still full of - literally- screaming and shouting children, all running around tables etc. On asking for a table somewhere as quiet as possible, we were told 'no' just like that, no 'see what I can do' or anything, flat 'no'. Shown to our table right next to the kitchen, chairs bumped by waiting staff back and forth to the serving hatch. Tables crammed together, everyone hemmed in as if at Butlins (although don't want to blacken their name!) - food came, each course bland, mass-produced and reheated rubbish. No more than 30 seconds between each course and rushed out before even getting the chance to ask about coffee! Had us in and out in under an hour - so much for our romantic anniversary meal!
Same poor quality for breakfast and this time no waitress service - get the re-heated rubbish for yourself amidst the screaming hordes (despite again waiting until the later breakfast slot on advice from the hotel) - this meal came with the addition of paper placemats and crumpled paper napkins at our table - doesn't that just scream 4-star quality?!

Lastly, the general service - lacklustre to say the least, and most of the time, downright rude, with the exception of the first lady at the front desk when we arrived.

Something else potential guests might want to consider is the fact that the swimming pool is viewed by the entire hotel lobby and bar via a whole wall of window, presumably so parents can keep an eye on children, but not very nice for adult visitors wanting a bit of relaxation and privacy.

In addition, we couldn't park in the hotel car park as it was full (it is very small given the size of the hotel) so we had to park elsewhere and walk back to the hotel. I feel for a hotel of it's size it should provide sufficient parking for the number of rooms it has.

In conclusion, incredibly disappointing and I would go as far to say the hotel ruined what should have been a lovely anniversary weekend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stayed in an Executive Family Suite. Clean, freshly decorated. Kids liked having their own space with bunks. Breakfasts excellent, great choice, hot foods well cooked and regularly replenished.
Evening meals in the Grant Room rather 'school dinnerish'. Don't stop eating for longer than 30 seconds or waiting staff will whisk away your plate. If you make your 3 course meal last longer than 45 minutes well done!
Drink prices are absolutely extortionate.
Good entertainment for all the family in the evening.
Nice pools but dressing room floors v dirty - take your flip flops.
Expensive - £200 per night DBB for 2 adults 2 kids - but beware, you have to pay for food (incl breakfast) for over 11s as taken.
We really enjoyed our stay, would have scored 4 (or even 5) out of 5 were it not for the negatives mentioned.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family