“cold mould snowed in”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
northampton
“cold mould snowed in”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

when we arrived the rooms were mould in the bath room and windows the room was colder than out side i have been going to hilton for 30 yrs i shall never go to another and neather shall i put any of my staff in one

1 Thank henryNorthampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Kendal, Cumbria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

We have stayed in quite a few Hilton Hotels in recent years and so chose to stay at Coylumbridge whilst we were skiing in Aviemore. We have always had very good service, excellent food and accommodation at Hilton - the name just suggests to us excellent quality and value for money.
This time it was not meant to be. From the moment we arrived at check in, the receptionist checked off our names and told us our room number. She didn’t wish us a pleasant stay or even manage to make eye contact or smile!
Our room, was on the first floor. Surprisingly there are no lifts, so we carried our luggage up a very unpleasant smelling stairwell. The room was clean but not very warm. We realised a little while later the small old radiator under the window was not on.
After traveling from Cumbria, 275 miles I tried to run a relaxing and warming bath before dinner but I soon realised there was no hot water. I rang down to reception and ten minutes later a porter came in and twisted a few taps and came to the conclusion it would be a thermostat and maintenance wouldn’t be able to fix it until the morning. I wasn’t very happy with this outcome, but he said we couldn’t move rooms as the the hotel was full (actually overbooked!) but he would bring us a fan heater for our room as we were cold. He was as helpful as he could be under the circumstances.
We went down to dinner for our 7:30 booking slot. We waited our turn in the queue. Before being allowed into the ‘restaurant’. It was very, very busy. The international, seemingly untrained staff were rushed off their feet. The atmosphere of the restaurant was more akin to a supermarket cafeteria at lunch time. Hectic! The food was poor, not what you would expect from Hilton. We have had excellent food in the past at other Hilton hotels.
After a day skiing you expect to be served decent food in generous portions. The serving dish was divided between three of us. Six new potatoes cut into halves to look like more and two small portions of veg to go with the main course- not adequate for my husband, teenage son and myself!
Puddings I think were bought in frozen- not cooked in the kitchen- very poor. Apple pie had sold out so I was told there was apple crumble and custard. It was disgusting, served up like a school dinner... warm custard poured over- not in a jug. I could go on. The food at the Ptarmigan restaurant 3000 feet up a mountain was first class, why couldn’t they get it right down near the town?
At breakfast time every morning we were queuing at least twenty people deep before going into the restaurant. Again service was poor. Tea, coffee, and hot chocolate came after we had almost finished and hot chocolate was just cocoa with hot water poured on- they didn’t know how to make it! No bacon or baked beans on the Wednesday morning. One international ‘chef’ said it was because the delivery van couldn’t get through because of the snow. I think he was having us on as even the local buses were going up the mountain roads!
In all, a very disappointing Hilton experience in what otherwise could be a good hotel in an excellent location.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

glenboig
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

Poor food
Poor rooms
Very poor service
Very poor response to dealing with the heavy snow
This is a Hilton in name only don't be fooled by the 4*, if you must go to Aviemore stay at the MacDonald resort.

Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

I had booked to stay here inbetween Xmas and the New Year but because of the poor travelling conditions, we rebooked for the half term break last week. I had contacted the hotel just after I had made the initial reservation to cancel it because of the poor reviews on Trip Advisor but was advised I would lose my money (which I had paid in full up front). I was assured that this was just the minority complaining and that things were not like this.

How wrong the hotel was. I also work in this industry and have been told that you should walk into your premises and look it closely as though you have just walked through the door for the first time. How blinkered the management must be at this hotel.

Breakfast is fine - the only meal I could recommend. hot buffet, cereal, omelette station, waffles, pancakes, fruit juices etc. Dinner in the evening is another story. The selection on the menu is fine and the food was of a decent size portion and quite tasty but food was only luke warm when served up. Hilton restaurants are renowned for the food not being of the best standard! Maybe the restaurant manager should look at his restaurant as though he was just going in for the first time - the radiators are filthy! The skirting boards aren't much better, and neither were cleaned during the duration of my stay.

We stayed in one of the family suites. The 'parents' room was of a good size but the kids bunk room was quite small but, hey, it suited our needs for the duration of our stay. However, the radiators were barely warm to touch and the window in the bunk room didn't close properly so the kids room was permanently cold. Reception did send us one heater - quite difficult to share between two rooms. Although there was four of us in the room, we were only given one small shampoo and one small showergel! Now, showering and having a bath was another story. The water in the shower was barely lukewarm and the trickle coming out of the tap for a bath was shameful. It took 45 minutes for the bath to fill just under half full. I did compain to reception on several occassions, but other guests leaving comments on Trip Advisor found the same as me - an I don't particularly care attitude.

When we checked out I complained again, to a receptionist who had short dark hair, was quite tall. She exclaimed 'Oh my God thats awful'. I felt insulted. It was as though she was shocked by my feeling the way I did about the hotel

Although it may not sound like it, we really enjoyed our stay in Aviemore. It was really snowy and we booked skiing lessons - we're all hooked! Loch Morlich was beautiful and the kids also went sledging. The view from the top of the Cairngorms was breathtaking, even though it was -12 up there! We actually ended up extending our stay just to go skiing - and we stayed in the Cairngorm Hotel on the main street in Aviemore. The rooms weren't of as good a standard as the Coylumbride, but the food was amazing - and the bottle of wine with dinner was £14 per bottle cheaper than Coylumbridge.

The Hilton Coylumbridge is in such a fantastic location its a real pity that the management and their team are so lacklustre about their establishment - they could do so much with it and make it a more pleasurable experience for guests. However, as, like me, if families with kids take advantage of the facitlites such as pool, fun house etc, to book half term vacations, easter breaks etc, the management will not go out of their way to facilitate the very people that pay their wages.

Even with my gripes, I probably would stay here again specifically because the kids enjoyed the facitlites and the entertainment that was laid on for them, but I would only just go B+B.

Hale, Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

My advice would be to take heed of the reviews on here. A truly disspointing experience.

We'd booked a familly room which is as per the website but comes with added extras of very draughty window and a broken telephone (which despite being reported 3 times was not fixed until the day of our departure - meaning we could not use the child listening function).

Being half term the hotel was busy but that does not excuse the surly / uninterested and unhelpful service of a few of the front desk staff and the absolutley awful food served up of an evening.

Puzzling time restrictions on kids using the pool and the opening times of the soft play area - might work in summer but in winter when most there were out skiing (fabulous snow by the way!) just did not work and the response of the front desk to my query as to the logic was

Receptionist - "I do not set the rules"
Me - "That's not what I asked, I asked what the logic was"
Receptionist (with nose even higher in the air) - "As I said I do not set the rules"

A massive shame as it has to possibility to be a good hotel.

Great location and amenities completely ruined by the seemingly complete lack of willingness to provide a good customer experience.

If you like your food or enjoy good service I would advise you look elsewhere. If you can get past the food and want location only then may be worth considering.

We will be looking elsewhere next time. Poor.

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

We have stayed in the Hilton coylumbridge several times over the last couple of years, as we found it an easy option for a short stay with young children.

We always book a family suit, which gives you a reasonable sized master bedroom, separate kids bedroom with bunkbeds and a reasonably sized bathroom.

The rooms are OK, having been modernised a couple of years ago - we had a dreadful couple of nights sleep, as the heating pipework "clattered away" all night . We reported this to reception, but got no acknowledgement that this was a problem - just the usual Coylumbridge Hilton staff shoulder shrug.

The lounge areas have been modernised in the last couple of years and are OK, but not 4* standard.

The leisure areas are now showing their age - the changing rooms are abysmal and the pool areas are looking tired.

A major issue with the hotel is the quality of food on offer: breakfast is fine (standard Hilton), however, the quality of food and service at dinner on both nights were absolutely dreadful.

The quality of food / service has always been poor (over the last 5 years we have been going), but we accepted this trade off due to good hotel facilities and location. However, this year the standard was so awful we will not return:- dining room decor / ambience is 1970s style (not in a cool retro sort of way!), staff could not care less, food was truly dreadful in all ways - not one redeeming feature could be found.

I am not a serial complainer and we usually choose to stay at Hilton hotels when we travel. However, in this instance avoid Coylumbridge Hilton at all costs - pay the extra and go to the MacDonald Resort in Aviemore!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tartandevil
CURTIS3
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

This hotel is in a great location for everyone , especially families as the facilitiies allow some freedom for kids with kids activities and swimming pool etc. However it has rapidly deteriorated over the years and this years break saw at least twelve families complaining at reception over cold rooms and no hot water - they were advised that the heating goes off during the day, even though it was minus temperatures! The swimming pool was very cold and some parents complained and took their kids out very quickly.Also the main lounge area is also the open foyer and was so cold people were sitting on a Saturday night drinking and listening to music with their coats and hats on !! We paid £213 per night and you would expect the same standards you get in most Hilton hotels - we have Hilton Honors membership and stay in many of their hotels - but the food has also gone downhill. The menu sounded really nice but when the food arrived it was mass produced, bland and canteen-like.The Hotel is very often full because of location and child-friendliness so I doubt they will improve on anything.