We have stayed here before about 3 years ago so I'l make comment on changes from then and now.
Parking - only just enough parking and can take a while to find a space.
Reception - ok, as a Scottish family in a Scottish hotel I find it frustrating when I'm not understood because all the staff have heavy European accents and do not have an ear for scottish accents. We had booked online and I was happy with the room provided (271) although there is 2 flights of stairs to climb (no lift) to get to it so not for the infirm or those with buggies. The staff generally were quite depressing whether it was restaurant or reception or bar area - no smiles - unwelcoming manner - not happy to be there - it's just a job type expression. Exception would be staff in outdoor activity area.
Room - a family suite with good views of the mountains if you looked straight ahead. The hotel is lowrise so it is impossible not to have some view of a carpark or restaurant roof even with the good view behind it. The room was clean and well appointed with separate rooms for adults and children with own flat panel tv's. Good sized hallway with wardrobe and full length mirror, area for cases. Bathroom was clean and modern. Hallways to rooms appear to have been done up from 3 years ago.
Dining - we were on a halfboard basis. Breakfast was fine, cereals, tinned fruit and meats, cooked breakfast and omletes (guy was useless though) and pancakes/waffles (self service - no instructions how to use and first timers were getting mix stuck to the device). Dinner was ok but you need to book this when booking your trip to get a reasonable time for eating with kids. There was a kids buffet which had improved on 3 years ago, the adult menu changed daily and again I felt the food choices and quality had improved in 3 years. Ok it wasn't fine dining, more canteen, drab dining area that was noisy and plates clattering etc but the food did the job and it was nice that the kids could eat with us ( 3 years ago they ate earlier which was a pain if they aren't the type to go to kids club to let you have your dinner - our aren't the type so........).
Bar Area - drinks pricey and quality of drink/cocktail depends on staff like any other pub.
Evening Entertainment - only saw the magician - kids liked it. Other entertainment didn't grab us and they now use the function suite instead of the bar area which felt a bit cold and impersonal.
Pool area - loved this for the kids. They have 2 pools. 1 large graduated pool with sauna at the side and one lare kids pool on the same level (no deep area) means kids can have plenty space without worrying too much. This pool had a good slide for primary aged kids. Most kids pools are token gestures but I felt this area was well planned and thought out and worked extremely well.
Funhouse - kids too small 3 years ago but used it this time on a wet day and seemed to enjoy it, putting good laugh too.
Outdoor activities - quad bikes a bit tame compared to other centres so my 7 year old was a bit bored. Climbing wall - no climbing shoes provided so difficult to have the grip especially if it has been raining as hand holds are full of water. Staff were pleasant and helpful in this area.
Days Out - Obviously Cairngorm for views and walks, on wet days try the ceramic experience at the MacDonald Resort and also weather permitting the Landmark Park (use your Tesco vouchers to get a chaeper family ticket - circa £10 for the family iso £35ish.)
Would we return? Yes, rooms great, pool area fab, good location, food does the job for a family holiday, entertainment is what you make it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Coylumbridge resort hotel is set in a 65 acre woodland estate in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. It is located close to Aviemore and is a perfect holiday destination all year round. The resort includes five restaurants and two bars including the Woodshed Bar with its roaring log fire and the American Diner sure to please the kids. The resort also includes indoor swimming pools, outdoor tennis courts, play park, spa, outdoor activity park and The Fun House for the little ones. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Coylumbridge - Aviemore Hotel Aviemore
- Hilton International Aviemore
- Aviemore Coylumbridge Hotel
- Hilton Aviemore
- Aviemore Hilton
- Aviemore Coylumbridge Hilton Hotel
- Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel Aviemore, Scotland