“Great family hotel”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
scotland
“Great family hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from 22nd July-26th and had a great time. We had gone to Aviemore for a few days camping but discovered that life in a tent is not for us and approached the hotel to see if they could fit us in. The front of house manager, Patrice Borman, could not have been nicer. He could not fit us in immediately but phoned round other hotels in the area to see if they could accomodate us. We had a nice enough night in the Academy hotel before checking in at the Coylumbridge where we were given a clean and spacious family suite. When this room proved to be a bit noisy due to an extractor fan from the kitchen, we were moved to a room of equal standard without any hesitation. As the previous reviewer has criticised the staff I must make a point of mentioning Indra by name. A beautiful girl who always had a smile on her face.

I agree that the food is not great, some of the concoctions on offer were a bit strange, but we always managed to find something to suit. Our kids of 5 and 7 loved the self service buffet and there were lots of healthy options with fruit being plentiful.

The pool was cold in the adults section but the children's pool was warm enough and the slide kept our two happy . We didn't find the changing area especially unclean when we were there and I am known for my fussiness.

There was entertainment on every night for the kids and, although a bit "holiday camp" our kids loved it. This is the first time our children have actually cried on leaving a hotel and they have stayed at quite a few.

This hotel is not for the discerning traveller looking for good food in exclusive surroundings. It is a big fun hotel which caters for families very well. Loads for kids to do on the doorstep which makes for a relaxing holiday for parents. Rooms are everything you will need and if you are not looking for Michelin stars, the food is adequate. The staff we dealt with were well managed by those in charge, both in the restaurant and in the front of house and were never rude or grumpy ( omelette chef may be an exception to this).

We will definitely be back,

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank bonvoyagescotland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
northumberland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

Despite a fantastic location this hotel sadly fails to deliver on all fronts. Firstly there is no lift, just a long, long walk along shabby corriders and up flights of gloomy stairs lugging all your bags with you...what a way to start a 'relaxing' break! Our family suite which cost us over £600 for 3 nights appeared to be a standard room with a weird triangular shaped bit walled off to make a tiny second bedroom. The whole room was shabby, the carpet dirty and the bathroom sloppily cleaned. Our requested 'mountain view' turned out to be a view across a flat pebbled dashed roof strewn with plastic pop bottles and cigarette ends. Our meal that night in the hotel restaurant was horrendous. We were told there was no table available until 8.15 but on arriving in the restaurant at 8.10 the place was deserted. We were given brown bread (no choice since the white had 'run out' ) and despite endless requests the butter has yet to appear. Portions were miniscule...a goats cheese salad starter for example was served in a dish 3 inches across and the quality was just about the worst food I have ever had the misfortune to be served. Ravioli was microwaved to a point where it could not be prised free of the plate, a cheese and onion tart main course was a tiny individual quiche, burnt to a cinder and served with five tiny potato wedges and a limp lettuce leaf.
When we complained a very weary member of staff said no problem, they would deduct the extra money we had paid for dinner each evening and refund it to our credit cards. For the rest of our stay we had 2 great meals in Aviemore, one at the Indian restaurant, can't remember the name but on the High Street next to shops, fantastic food and very nice staff. Also try the Winking Owl for great food and again very friendly staff.
Talking to the locals we learned that the Coylumbridge Hilton has a very poor reputation in the town.
It is no way a 4 star hotel, it is sloppily run and shabby and dirty.
I know other people have raved about the breakfast but I wasn't all that impressed. The orange juice tasted watered down, and towards the end of the servcie (30 mins or so) nothing was replenished, the waffle machine was cleared away and the omelette chef disappeared.
Just to continue my moan, the pool was freezing cold, the changing rooms cramped and grubby and the staff miserable and unhelpful.
All in all, a very disappointing experience...definitely AVOID!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank loulouham

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton in Coylumbridge on the 6th of June with a friend. On our arrival at the hotel we were upgraded to a deluxe family room which we were delighted with.

We spent a pleasant day in Aviemore and returned to the hotel for our dinner at about 7.00pm. I had the pear and pecorino cheese salad for a starter, a goat’s cheese and onion tart for main course and a chocolate orange cheesecake for dessert.

Once we finished our diner we went to our room to get organised to head into Aviemore for some evening entertainment. Both myself and my friend had to lie down at this point as we were feeling nauseous. After about 20minutes I vomited. I decided I was not going to let this spoil our night away so we headed into Aviemore. I vomited several more times before returning to the hotel later in the evening. I wakened up feeling feverish at 5.00am and had a huge rash on my chest and on my thigh. I spent much of the night being sick and was unable to eat my breakfast on the Sunday morning. I was unable to eat anything for much of Sunday as I still felt nauseous. My friend also vomited on the Saturday night but she did not appear to have been as affected as me.

I felt absolutely fine prior to eating my dinner and I was back to normal by the Monday. I can only assume that my illness was related to something I ate at dinner.

I wrote to the Hilton to let them know about my upsetting experience. I got a letter back saying that no one else had made a complaint about the food the night in question.
This reponse did not satisfy my complaint. Regardless of whether other people were affected, I was very ill and had a really uncomfortable night at this hotel.

I had hoped I would be offered some form of compensation to alleviate my dissatisfaction about the Hilton Coylumbridge. As this was not forthcoming, I will certainly not be staying at another Hilton hotel again.

I have to give this hotel a one star due to my sickness after eating here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
east midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

If you enjoy badley behaved children, poor restaurant service ,waiter staff with little grasp of english ,extortionate bar prices,lounge bar area full of chrildren running around screaming ,.and shouting at turned 2200hrs.then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2009
merthyr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

Great hotel only one fault no lifts so if you are infirm ask for ground floor room.
Bar prices not so high as most Hiltons in the long Happy hours, Good food, good staff, some times hard to make your self understood with some waiters, but head waiters and managers first class, Breakfast BEST EVER IN A HOTEL!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robMerthyr
Bakewell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

A bit basic for a Hilton, but get one of the special offers and you have a great bargain.
We have stayed many times.
Superb.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller3333333
Darlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

We were very close to cancelling after reading some of the reviews, but since we'd already shown the children the photos of the pool and play park, it would have been impossible to find an alternative nearby. However, every low expectation was met with a totally positive experience.
We were in a family suite (173) and the room was clean, spacious and quite newly updated. The bathroom was great. If I wanted to find things to criticise, I'm sure I could, but it wouldn't be reasonable to complain about the heat when it was 24 degrees outside. The chambermaid was really pleasant. Like all of the staff we spoke to, she had a lovely manner - very professional, but friendly too.
The DBB rate was good, and we didn't end up spending too much. The tennis courts were not expensive, and the pool staff smiled at guests as they passed. No complaints about the pool either. It was reassuring to have a large pool that children could stand up in, as well as a deeper pool for adults. When we arrived at 3pm, it was empty. I think we must have been very lucky, but at no point in the weekend was it offputtingly busy.
The dinners were fine, very much as you'd expect when catering on such a scale. We asked for a quiet time for dinner and 6.00-6.30 was suggested. We didn't wait long between courses, and the dining staff were attentive, bringing jugs of water and checking everything was as it should be. The puddings weren't fantastic, but the seabass and the mushroom risotto (except for the peculiar drizzle of balsamic vinegar) were just right. We enjoyed the breakfasts, and making our own waffles!
The location just next to the Rothiemurchus Forest is just perfect for walks and cycling. It's great not to have to drive anywhere for the whole weekend. The scenery is of course totally stunning in good weather.
I realise that this review may seem unrealistically positive, but I wanted to balance the comments made in other reviews. I don't think that our brilliant experience was unique. There were lots of happy faces about except for ours.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family