Stayed here for 4 nights on a family holiday with two kids aged 4 & 6. Lots of plus points but a few things that stopped me rating this 5/5.
Really good setting, just outside Aviemore centre. Very peaceful and beautiful surroundings.
All the reviews which reference the hotel/rooms needing upgrading are correct. We were in a family suite on the first floor. We accessed this through the back staircase and there was a slight mouldy smell. The carpet was also worn. Our room also needed some basic maintenance eg. one of the latches on the window was missing completely, wood on the top bunk was split, a panel from the wardrobe door had come off and was lying on the floor of the wardrobe. None of this was end of the world stuff though. The big thing that would improve the rooms greatly would be air conditioning. The rooms were just so stuffy during the night even with the windows open. A large fan is provided which is good but you can't keep it on over night.
All that said the rooms are spacious (we had a family suite) and very comfortable. The beds were lovely and the bathrooms lovely too.
Bit mixed to be honest. Staff at breakfast and dinner were faultless, very warm and friendly. Check-in again was very good, a lovely warm welcome however we did have cause to enquire at reception on a couple of occasions during our visit and didn't receive the same attention. At check-in we were not told anything about evening entertainment and we came across this by chance on our second evening. When we asked asked about times etc for the rest of our holiday we were just told 'if its on it will be in the cairngorm suite, if its not it won't'. A simple way to rectify this is to put up a what's on poster in reception which would help customers plan their evening. Our kids loved the entertainment which ranged from clowns, balloon models, magician, disco etc.
We booked on a dinner, bed & breakfast rate. Breakfast was amazing, so much choice and fantastic value for money.
Dinner....again a bit of a mixed bag. You get two options during busier periods. First is a family buffet served between 5.30 & 6.30. Second is a normal sit down 3 course meal (2 for the kids) from 7pm onwards.
We did the buffet on 3 of our nights and it did become a bit tiresome towards the end. Its also a bit of a free for all. It's an Italian style buffet, so mainly pizza and pasta but its the same pizza and pasta each night. There is also one meat and fish option which changes daily. Selection of cakes and ice cream also, again same each night. Buffet is great for kids, not so much for adults.
The sit down meal was a preferable option, food far nicer, far more choice but with two young kids the timing of service is an issue as if you don't book well in advance you struggle to get the earlier dining times - we tried to book on a second night and could not get a time before 8.30 which is no use with young kids. It really wouldn't take much to improve the buffet by providing a bit more variety.
Drink prices - a real let down and a particular bug bear of the holiday as they are simply extortionate. £5 for a small glass of house wine is a joke, more so is £2 for a very small glass of kids apple juice which was more ice than juice! You do expect this from a hotel chain like Hilton but equally the hotel gears itself to families and most families these days look for good value for money and Hilton lets itself down here in this respect.
Interestingly, if you wander across to the Woodshed bar (part of the complex) drink prices are far more reasonable, however at night if your kids want to see the entertainment you are stuck paying the higher prices in the hotel.
Decent swimming pool. Great kids playpark and tennis courts also. It's handy having the fun house nearby and also the activities at the woodshed.
In some ways this is a great family hotel but it lets itself down on some points. I feel this hotel needs to make up its mind what its identity is - are you aiming to families or not? If you are then do this properly. We would definitely go back to Aviemore, possibly to the Hilton but would probably book B&B only.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Coylumbridge resort hotel is set in a 65 acre woodland estate in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. It is located close to Aviemore and is a perfect holiday destination all year round. The resort includes five restaurants and two bars including the Woodshed Bar with its roaring log fire and the American Diner sure to please the kids. The resort also includes indoor swimming pools, outdoor tennis courts, play park, spa, outdoor activity park and The Fun House for the little ones. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Coylumbridge - Aviemore Hotel Aviemore
- Hilton International Aviemore
- Aviemore Coylumbridge Hotel
- Hilton Aviemore
- Aviemore Hilton
- Aviemore Coylumbridge Hilton Hotel
- Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel Aviemore, Scotland