“Hit and miss service”

Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Aviemore is a great place for a break but I won't be chosing this hotel again. On check in, I was requested to produce my confirmation email. I had my baby in my arms and the wifi was very slow. After 5 minutes of me struggling, I was informed that they could "check me in without the email actually" and they could see the email later.
The room was the temperature of a small oven despite the radiator being turned off.
Half of the pool was closed.
We booked the bistro for a very early tea (for the kids) and the front of house tried to put us right next to the only other couple in the empty restaurant, where we could not get the two high chairs in properly. When requested that we had a table a distance away to give them some privacy, I was informed no, there was not enough room. Eventually we did get a different table, but it was made clear to us that this was a huge effort for them. The Bistro was still empty when we left.
Saying this, there were some incredibly lovely staff, who did bring sparkles to an otherwise poor stay and bumped my rating up to a 2 star.

2  Thank flingdizz

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Have just returned from a 5 night toddler break at the Hilton Coylumbridge on db&b. As one of the other reviewers says the dinner was the same every night if you chose the buffet option. We did eat from the menu a couple of times but were quite disappointed in the standard of the food. The hotel itself is average, the public areas have been upgraded and are nice, the bedrooms look like they've been refurbished but theres just nothing "special" about it. The bedroom and the restaurant were extremely warm, the temperature in our sons room rarely dropped below 25 degrees with the heating off and the window opened in October!! The staff were helpful although I got the impression at meal times they were slightly overwhelmed. We did however have a great time, the facilities for children were good, the fun house has a small section for under 2's which was enough to entertain our wee one for an hour or so. The hotel also has a decent sized toddler pool which was warm enough for babies. There's bike hire on site with tag along carts for babies and theres plenty of off road paths for a safe ride. Theres more than enough to keep little ones entertained, and if he's happy then we are!

Room Tip: no lifts in the hotel
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Couple of things about this hotel, on arrival we were told we would either have to go to the buffet (pizza hut) or wait until 20.45 for the main restaurant. With our four year old twins the later was not an option so opted for the buffet. When I tried to reserve a table for earlier the next night there was nothing available until 20.00. This annoyed me a little and on the night the kids were getting hungry and we decided to take our chance and he'd down 15 minutes early. To my amazement the restaurant was half empty.

The hotel is catered for kids and this is we're it excels with lots to keep them entertained .

My biggest gripe was that there had been an animal in the room before me. I have an allergy to animal hair and it made for a very uncomfortable stay. I am afraid for me dogs holidays are at the kennels and not sleeping on a Hilton bed, that really is a pampered pooch.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if animals have been in before
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just returned from a 4 night family break, booked as DB&B. On arrival was asked when we would like to book for dinner during our stay, the only times available were 5.30pm and 7.15pm, with 2 small children we booked the 5.30pm. We were then told it was an italian buffet for the night. But no, it was actually an italian buffet for the next 4 nights!!! Same pasta, pizzas, ham, night after night, kids were not impressed. Two out of our 4 nights we had to feed them elsewhere at our expense whilst us adults had to make do and eat more pasta!! Information was not forthcoming at all from staff, we were never told what entertainment was planned for the week, this information should have been passed on at check-in. Kids missed out on attending the disco and the supervised play & games at The Fun House. It was on our last day that we were told by another family about the entertainment (thankfully the kids managed to see Bobby the Clown) and were also told that we could have asked for a kids menu during the italian buffet - this should have been told to us at check-in or at least have kids menus on the table. A good breakfast menu but that was after you had to stand in a queue, waiting to be seated for at least 10/15 mins! Not sure if we would return, will probably try a different hotel next time.

1  Thank ScotlandBruno
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Firstly, for those who have complained that this doesn't live up to the Hilton brand, the Coylumbridge was originally a Stakis hotel before Hilton bought the chain moons ago. I used to stay here when I was a child (around 25 years ago) and while much has been improved, some of the hotel still goes back to its Stakis roots!

There are no elevators and the staircase carpet to the bedrooms hasn't been changed in years. It is very 1980s and I bet is the same carpet from when I used to come as a child! The hallways are also old fashioned, dark and dingy. We stayed in a deluxe suite and, while the bathroom was fairly new, the suite was tired and cramped. While the furnishings were fairly modern, the fixtures and fittings were all very old adding to a very dated feel.

The facilities for kids, however, are excellent and my son loved his stay. The food included with the dinner, bed and breakfast option was also very good - 3 courses and very tasty (and the restaurant has been recently done up) Breakfast also excellent although we had to wait for a few minutes. Costa coffee kiosk far too expensive - £4 for a medium latte!

This hotel could be excellent but needs thoroughly modernised. If bedrooms and communal areas were brought into the 21st century it would probably have received 4*.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had no problems with this hotel, lovely large room, excellent reception staff, had room service for breakfast which i had no complaints about. Location is perfect for Rochiemurchus, Loch Morlich with its beautiful sandy beach , and Loch-an- Eilien. The centre of Aviemore is only 5 mins away,
Would use this hotel again,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Have just returned from three nights at Coylumbridge Hilton. Food lovely and no major issues with our room, except maybe a bit cramped for two adults and a tall 11year old. Really upset by the ladies changing area at the pool. Dirty towels lying around, hairs and grit on the floor, balls of hair in the shower area and generally tired and in need of a facelift or at least a good clean! In general not much to do for older children and poor value for money in relation to the activities that are available. Glad to be home!

2  Thank CWils_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
The Boat Hotel
Macdonald Morlich Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Nethybridge Hotel
Nethybridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge

Been to Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!