“Chilled Coylumbridge” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Chilled Coylumbridge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed another couple of nights as we love it here in the middle of the Cairngorms.The hotel was its usual thing chilled,relaxed and calming.All the staff as ever fantastic well nearly all the staff,We booked into the bistro for one of the evenings.....and its just does not seem to be the same staff as the rest of the hotel?We have tried it a few times before and thought it may be different this time?but no it was the same,the staff are just not friendly,polite or professional.We felt that bad that we actually walked out which is a first for us as we can pit up with a lot.

When we arrived to be seated the girl looked at us and treated us as if we were a bother.Not a hello ,good evening or even a smile.We sat at the table and just seemed to be forgotten and ignored,and I like to think that we are both polite and mannerly.We went to the main hotel restaurant and what a contrast.Met by a lovely genuine smile and a good evening by Laura.Our waiter for the night was Antonio really nice polite guy.The food in this restaurant has improved dramatically this year since the refurb,and we shall never bother with the' Bisto' again.

So it all worked out in the end but I just don't understand how the staff have always been so different between the two eateries?But we still love the hotel and a big thanks to the staff in the Inverdruie Restaurant (main one) ie Laura and Antonio.Breakfast as normal superb loads of choice and top quality.Had nice room looking out to mountains and the woods also squirrels outside our window in the morning.We shall definitely return as the hotel as a whole is great if you like a chilled feel with comfort in the middle of the highlands.

Room Tip: get a mountain view
1 Thank RobertAnne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Indonesian first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

i stayed here for 5 nights in October. The location, service, rooms all fantastic. BUT the menu never changes. I know this because other family members were there in July and had the exact same menu. There wasnt much choice especially if u are a plain eater like myself. All i can say at least i wasnt there for longer.

• Stayed October 2011
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

On arriving at Hotel Colyumbridge my husband and I thought we had arrived at the wrong destination as the first building we saw was The Fun House. We didn't realise that this was a family resort. We booked in at Reception and we were given a room on the ground floor. Our room was very clean but the decor was tired, in fact the decor in the whole hotel was very tired.

We had booked for dinner, bed and breakfast and booked into the Bistro restaurant. On arrival we were shown to our seats and very quickly were given the menu and the wine list, then even more quickly our order was taken, my husband hadn't even swallowed his last bite when our plates were cleared. One of the waitresses was so efficient or even brusque to the point of rudeness. I mentioned to her that there was no avocado in the starter. She didn't comment on this so I wrote on our bill that there was no avocado, but, unfortunately was still charged for this!

On retiring to our room we realised that our view was limited to the swimming pool, the walls of which were no more than 3 metres away. We were able to hear next doors TV better than our own!!

Breakfast was great, in fact I have never seen so much choice. Unfortunately only one cup of coffee was on offer.

The hotel is great for families but I was surprised that it had been awarded 4 stars and thought that the price we paid was far too expensive for the quality of service.

Room Tip: Try a room on the first floor with a view!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fionamul
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Hilton Coylumbridge is composed of the hotel itself and timeshare lodges. In addition, the resort has a range of bars, restaurants and leisure facilities. The leisure centre is being renovated but is still open, it provides a swimming pool, sauna and gym.

It is situated in magnificent countryside on the Cairn Gorm Mountain road within walking distance of Aviemore. Some of the lodges overlook the River Druie and there is easy access from the hotel and lodges to the Caledonian Forest, the lochs, the RSPB Osprey Reserve, the Cairngorm Mountains and Aviemore itself. An ideal base for walking, mountain biking or exploring by car. There was no need to stray far from the hotel to enjoy the countryside. All in all, a beautiful part of the Highlands.

We stayed in a lodge, it was comfortable and clean. The lodge kitchen was well equipped with the usual equipment that you might expect: dish washer, hob, oven, microwave and toaster, etc. There was also a washer/dryer. The lodge could sleep four with privacy, each of the two bedrooms had an ensuite shower or bath room. The television service was limited in choice and the picture quality not particularly good; Freesat is available in the area and would have provided a better television and radio service.

Wifi was available in the main hotel building, but it was not free.

There are several different types of lodge and, from what I could see, they appeared to be well maintained and furnished to a high standard.

The staff were friendly and the service good. There was live entertainment in the large, comfortable, and welcoming hotel foyer on most evenings. The Foyer Bar was more expensive than the average pub, but that is the norm with many hotels. The bar though, was not as dreary and lifeless as those to be found in some hotels. The draught beer and lager was cold, clear and well presented, I particularly enjoyed the Flowers bitter.

Dogs are allowed in the lodges and, with direct access to the woods, makes this a good place to bring your pampered pooch, as we did. For us, staying in a lodge was ideal, the comfort of your own space with the facilities of a large hotel readily to hand.

Local wildlife could be seen right outside the lodge from the comfort of your settee: red squirrels, rabbits, lots of chaffinches, robins and more. Of course, there is a wide variety of wild life in the area.

This, to me, this one of the best places to stay in the immediate vicinty of Aviemore. A country hotel with a reasonable range of facilities with more available in nearbly Aviemore itself.

My rating on the rooms refers to the lodge accommodation.

Obviously, you can buy a timeshare should you wish but there we did not experience any high pressure sales techniques.

Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

We took advantage of low season rates at a hotel I have been to many times before as a child myself. For this reason (£93 per night family suite with brkfst) I have no grumbles on the value and cost but do agree at over £170 a night normally it would be steep. Let's be honest here, for families what more do you need? Swimming pool, fun house, games room and endless outdoor things to do. I really do recommend it for this alone.

The one thing I would say is that during our stay my wife and I were lucky enough to get a babysitter so we had dinner in the bistro (restaurant at the front of the hotel not the main restaurant). The welcome on arrival was nonexistent, and the service by one particular member of staff was almost rude throughout. We were made to feel most unwanted to be honest and this spoiled an otherwise good day in the hotel. This might be an isolated example but one that has made me consider this hotels strengths in the family market and not couples. As a result we will not be back until the next family room deal!

• Stayed September 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We paid £156 for a family room (2+2 kids) dinner bed and breakfast. The family room was pretty tight for space and very hot but acceptable for a single night. Check in was 4 pm But disappointingly the swimming pool was adult only from 5-7pm.
Dinner was a bit of a disappointment. Our booking had been lost, resulting in us having to queue for 10 minutes. Navigating the self service was chaotic and not a fine dining experience although the quality of the Italian food was fine. Wine was over priced at £25 for a value product. We were accidentally charged extra for our kids looking over 11 years old even though they were 6 and 9 years old.
Nighttime entertainment was a single guitarist playing a large venue. We liked his efforts and my daughter enjoyed jumping about the dance floor with the other little girls and their dads. Fine for young families only I'd suggest.
We enjoyed the swimming pool before breakfast. Other than the queuing and rather chaotic scenes, breakfast was excellent with plenty of quality choices.
The Aviemore area fantastic for a quick break but I think we'll use other hotels in future unless the Hilton reduces its charges for the current offering or improves on some of the basics.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Independence101
Wentworth Falls, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I checked into the Hilton Coylumbridge for a three night stay as it was the ideal location from which to base a driving trip exploring the north west of Scotland.

The first thing I failed to notice when booking was that this hotel is clearly geared to families, which is fine of course, but it's not the place to visit when you're travelling solo or you're after a quiet, relaxing break away. This will not meet those needs. But as it was a Hilton, I'd expected a certain standard that would compensate. I was wrong.

Check in was reasonably straight forward but it seemed that the staff, although very pleasant, were unable to deal with any issues solo. Queries from people ahead of me seemed to take up two/three staff members at a time which meant an unnecessary wait to check in.

Heading to my room demonstrated that the physical nature of the hotel is in dire need of refurbishment. There were no elevators and guests heading to the second floor rooms had to do so using a narrow, dingy stairwell with doors at each end that opened inconveniently - totally unsuited to lugging bags. Bizarrely, when I was taking my bag upstairs, I was following a couple who were taking their huge dog upstairs with them!!! I didn't think pets were permitted.

The room itself, although reasonably clean and tidy was very tired, with fittings that have clearly seen better days.

The room had no safe and the telephone was not working. I had to ask on two separate occasions for the phone to be fixed. This of course meant that ordering room service was not a straight forward exercise - having to walk downstairs to reception and then to be pointed to the restaurant to give my room service order somewhat defeats the purpose.

The room had no air-conditioning, and as the highlands were experiencing a lovely warm indian summer, it meant the room was quite stuffy. Opening a window even the fraction it was able was problematic as it tended to attract wasps. The view from the window whilst looking towards some lovely country scenery, also overlooked the waist-level roof of the rooms below and which were nicely littered with cigarette butts. The walls also seemed very thin as you could hear most of what guests in adjoining rooms were saying. Also as it was a family hotel, the kids would like to run up and down hallways and this also reverberated around the room.

In terms of service, the hotel gets a couple of ticks. However, the staff, although very polite and courteous, seemed to lack any personality. You didn't feel like you were being regarded as an individual and when being served, it seemed like most were going through the motions. I had also ordered a paper to be delivered to my room in the mornings, however as these weren't making it to my room until well after 9am (when I'd already left for breakfast) it was pointless and so I had the paper cancelled for my last day. In my experience, a newspaper if ordered should be by your door first thing!

Breakfasts on the whole were of a good standard but I recommend if you are there on your own or without a family, get in early as this is when it's quiet! Arrive any later than 8:30 and it's like you've walked into a day care centre at morning break. Finding a quiet corner at this time will be difficult. The breakfast buffet was pretty good but the staff could sometimes be slow bringing a pot of tea/coffee after seating you.

Overall, I get that this is a family resort and they have their place. But even taking that into account, I don't think this venue is of a Hilton standard. Their rates are good value but they'd need to be as I'd have objected to paying more than I did for the standard of the room.

There are plenty of positive reviews for this hotel from those who go there regularly with families but if you're heading there on your own or with a significant other, I'd recommend checking other options first as I'm sure you'll find something more intimate, quiet and of a higher standard.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank MiniGee100

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels