3,387 results
All reviewswoodshed barfun housefamily suiteinverdruie restauranttoddler breakmain restauranttwo double bedscrazy golfswimming pooltennis courtskids clubgreat for kidsbreakfast and dinnerschool holidayssoft playoutdoor activitiespublic areas
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Marketed as a destination for families with toddlers is great for them, but not so good for the rest of us. Overtired children in pyjamas running around the public areas after 11 pm and jumping on their beds and slamming doors at 2 am is not ideal for a romantic weekend away but probably not the fault of the management. However, the management could do something about ensuring bookings of tables for dinner were made as requested and something about organising breakfast - we queued for half an hour before someone took our room number and tried to find us a table that had been cleared and set for breakfast (one person seemed to be doing the clearing in exaggerated slow motion) and management could have identified that a single breakfast queue regardless of the type of breakfast required led to further delays, then we got coffee instead of the ordered tea. To add to the injury we were told the chaos at breakfast was our fault for choosing to eat at a popular time! On the plus side dinner was delicious, though they forgot to bring us our wine. At bill time they tried to charge us for a child (we honestly were not harbouring one in luggage).

Room Tip: Order breakfast in bed - at least if you are kept waiting you can keep yourself amused.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen I
Reviewed April 2, 2012

If you're looking for THAT romantic minibreak in the Heart of the Highlands portrayed by VisitScotland, then this will be your hell-on-earth. Even if you've got young kids, which this place seems to be aimed at, you'll be hacked off by the level of service - it's dreadful ! We waited for 1/2 an hour in a corridor queuing for breakfast and when I complained, I was told too many people came at once, as if it's our fault. The truth is that the dining room was half-empty - it was just so badly understaffed that the tables weren't being cleared.

The night before (after losing any record of our table booking, and as if it was our fault) it took 3/4 hr and into the main course before they provided a bottle of obscenely marked up wine (probably 4x or 5x the shop price). The dining room has all the ambience of a cave and is noisy. They got the bill wrong.

The walls between rooms are paper-thin so rooms are very noisy, not that many of our fellow guests seemed very considerate anyway, adult or child. Rooms are very basic - not even a bedside table on each side of the double bed, no shower cap, mud sprayed up the walls.

No concept whatsoever of customer focus, though I suppose the average 5 year old customer was probably very happy until they got over-tired by being allowed to run around at 10pm. If I could give this place 0 stars, I would. It's a total embarrassment to Scottish hospitality !

Room Tip: Find another hotel - ANY other hotel !!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Stravaiging
Reviewed April 1, 2012

After reading some of the reviews, I nearly didn't book the hotel, but as we had stayed there before and knew the great location I decided to carry on.
The hotel has had a facelift and was very comfortable. The public areas were bright and spacious. The breakfast was very good and was a good start to the day.( Only slight complaint was that my wife had to wait 20 mins for a poached egg). Food in general was very good. The Woodshed is very good with deals on some drinks Mon, Tues and Wednesday. Enjoyed the swimming pool which didnt get too busy. Maybe the rooms could benefit from a minibar being available. Will go back.

Room Tip: Ground floor a must as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slicer123
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Spent 2 nights here last weekend by using my Tesco vouchers. Hotel is lovely, very clean and warm. Food was good and plenty choice from the breakfast buffet. Our room was a suite which was a double room and a seperate room with bunkbeds and a TV. On arrival to the room we noticed that the shower head had been left at the side of the bath in bits, but this was promptly rectified after calling reception. Only gripe with hotel was that my son who is 14 and his friend were not allowed to enter the pool without being supervised by an adult. As they are both strong swimmers I thought this strange, but came to the conclusion that this is to save a lifeguard from sitting poolside and observing instead from a screen at reception. My other issue was the prices being charged at the activity/play area outside the Woodshed. All activities cost £5.00-very pricey if you have a few children. Other than this we really enjoyed our weekend and now saving the vouchers for next year!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Cracking deal thru' Hotel Connexions. £40 D,B&B. per night. Stayed 3 nights. Staff were great. Service was excellent. Lovely groundfloor room. Mattress was sagging and needed replacing. Two double beds in the room.There's no lift and stairs are too much for me to manage. Entertainment on two of the three nights.
New style restaurant was nice, as was the food. Same menu for 3 nights.I've used the hotel for the last 40 years and probably preferred the original layout. might have chosen the wrong week,. Someone said that it was "toddlers" week. Most children were well behaved but every time in the restaurant there were "screamers" continually screaming and kicking the babies chairs. Surprised that dogs are now welcome. There might have been 6 or 7 large dogs there each night. One man had 3 Labrador size dogs with him.Majority of clients don't want dogs in the hotel rooms.And most people would object to a dog barking for 10mins. outside their room window. But I'll think carefully next time. Hopefully this doesn't spoil the Coylumbridge. Location was fine. It's central for most things. We'd a visit up the hill to use the Funicular Railway and a visit to Inverness on another day. Glenfiddich Distillery was visited on another day.

Room Tip: Request a groundfloor room. 2 years ago we'd a 2nd floor room and the fire alarm went off at 1am. They had the steepest stairs that I've ever come across.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank whiskyman24
HiltonCath, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Coylumbridge, I was sorry to read that you found your bed uncomfortable, the hotel has recently undergone a bed replacement programme so this I am surprised that you found the mattress to be sagging.

Hilton Coylumbridge has, for many years, welcomed pets to the hotel as it is the ideal location for walking. Pets are not allowed in any of our public areas and must not be left alone in rooms. A full pet pack is gievn to all of our guests who bring their pet with them. I am unable to ascertain which date you stayed with us but we do have a number of Toddler Breaks during the year. These breaks are tailored for our younger guests (5 years and under), with their parents/carers of course, and are very popular.

There is live entertainment within the hotel every evening except for Wednesday, and also in the Woodshed Bar which is located within the hotel grounds, Friday, Saturday and Wednesday evening with a Quiz Night on a Thursday evening.