“Decent Hotel,Lovely Place”

Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We went here last year for my wife's birthday in February, it was snowing and the scenery was fantastic,i have been reading some of the reviews about this(busy)hotel and i'm confused by the negative ones, yes some of the hotel is old looking but we booked a Deluxe room which was decked out in tartan that made it look a wee bit dull but it added to the scottish-ness of the hotel.we booked the DBB deal and the breakfast and dinners were always warm, the restaurant was also a wee bit dull looking but i took it to be cosy looking.The pool would have an adult only hour where the kids had to be out for an hour to let the adults chill for a bit.The drink was a bit pricey but i think you should know that it is a HILTON after all. we are going back in February to celebrate my wife's birthday again and i can't wait. so don't make you're mind up from the negative reviews on here go and make you're own mind up...And NO i don't work for this hotel....Lol

Room Tip: Go and make you're mind up
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Piper met us at door of Hotel, lovely Scottish Welcome, checked in at reception then went to a table set up to book dining options for our xmas stay, then welcomed with a glass of Hot Mulled wine and mince pie. Lovely welcome. Stayed here a few times , this was first time at Xmas.Lovely setting Xmas day Santa was in his lovely old fashioned sleigh with his reindeers at the door to meet all, the reindeers were actually present in the main fuction room in a special corner whilst santa elves called each individual child to receive a gift whilst all the parents and grandparents snapped photos till their hearts content, lovely memories. I am in my late 60s and loved seeing all the happy children , it was magical.I went with my daughter husband and teenage grandson, who loved the whole experience,I have often thought about going away on my own at Xmas, but I dont think this is for Single OAP, As you can feel more alone in a crowded family room in a busy hotel, but with others it was lovely. no cooking cleaning etc.totally relaxed. Staff lovely room great.Loved all the lovely toiletries in bathroom very upmarket, best that I have had in my travels cruising hotels etc.Dining room staff gave a lovely welcome each time we entered , I did not like vegetarian options at Xmas dinner very disappointed and family were not happy with the amount of vegetables not offered at all meals , had to ask for vegetables to go with main Xmas dinner, and two vegetables in one dish were brought for 4 of us, the time they arrived we were half way through our meal.Not impressed.Like other reviewer stated our meal was spoilt by unruly children and family at next table, throwing food on floor and expecting staff to pick it up. So very much children orientated, which is good, if the parents would keep them under control, as it can spoil it for others.

Room Tip: ground floor good for convenience and if you have dogs, wish they had a different access to Pool ins...
3  Thank PRIMADONNA64
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed in a family room with separate room and bunk beds. The room was clean well furnished, and the hotel was the same. Staff attentive, curtious and well drilled. The layout at breakfast had changed from previous years, unfortunately for the worst. Avoid peak times from 9 - 10 when you have to queue for everything, not good with two hungry kids. Overall would recommend for nice family break close to all that the Cairngorms have to offer.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Booked 3 nights Dinner Bed and Breakfast rate, Children aged 14 and 11 in twin room therefor paying full rate.
However when we arrived we were told that only children under 10 eat FOC off children menu and that our children would have to pay, I explained that I have paid full DBB rate for 2 rooms one standard and one suite and that DDB was for 4 people , this cost well over £1000.
They were adament and quite rude, Children would have to pay, this is nothing short of a scam, if your children are under 10 then no issue , if they are over ten you are led to believe that their breakfast etc is included as you are paying full rate and paying for a separate room for them, well this is not the case at the Hilton Coylumbridge kiddies creche hotel..
Service is fair and the food in the main resturant( if you can get a table ) is good. Avoid the family buffet unless you want your kids to have high colesterol its all processed crap..And do your pocket a favour, take wine with you and consume in your room, you will pay 3 times the going rate in any of the 2 bars.
I wont be going back.

Room Tip: No lifts and no bagage assistance offered.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
HiltonCath, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at Hilton Coylumbridge. Our Family Policy is made quite clear both on our websites and also through our booking agents. All children 10 years and under eat for free. Should children over this age and up to 17 years stay then they are required to pay for all meals as taken, if booked as adults then meals will be included on whatever tarriff is chosen, not a scam and quite straightforward.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel when our children were younger and this was our first visit for a few years. If you are travelling with young kids you will love the hotel. If you are not travelling with kids I would strongly recommend you book elsewhere. The whole set up is around the kids: large lounge area where families can sit, good pool, child friendly dining at all times of day and a good playpark, funhouse, and many other activities to keep the young ones amused (small charges but they mount up). We were travelling in a group with children aged 8-13 and I have to admit by the end of the break I was getting a bit fed up tripping over other peoples toddlers (be prepared to be woken by them on their way to breakfast and still be on the go in the lounge well into the evening).
During our stay (between Christmas and New year) the hotel was busy and although there were lots of staff in the restaurants service was very slow. Breakfast was a particular issue with a long wait for everything from being seated to getting a cup of coffee/tea (up to 35 minutes). There were disorganised lengthy queues for cooked items and some basic items were not available as the hotel had run out.
It is worth being aware of bar prices if you are a wine drinker. Wine is very overpriced with a large glass of Pino grigio being £8+ and a Sauvignon £12 + ( £38 ish for a bottle). On the first night of our stay our table bill, came to around £125 for kids drinks, 3 bottlles of wine and supplements for cheese (£5 per plate). This was not including the meals themselves which were included in the cost of our break,or our predinner drinks in the bar. Food is fair but not great, you would expect better. We didn't try the buffet option as it was sereved earlier that we like to eat but kids menus are available in the restaurant and the bistro. The restaurant is the better option as 3 courses are included ( although not coffee), there is a good choice and the food is better. In the bistro you get £16 credit towards what you choose. Its is more fish and chips (£14), bar food etc. although you would have to choose wisely if you wanted 2 courses for your £16.
To escape the crowds in the hotel I would recommend the woodshed bar, located behind the hotel. It is nice and kids welcome until 8pm.
Whether you like this hotel or not will depend upon your priorities. If you want a break with toddlers and are not too bothered about fine dining, drinking and efficient service go for it. I do like the hotel set up, although we have probably outgrown it, but when you add all the extras I am not sure that it represents quite the value for money you are lead to believe.

Room Tip: If travelling with children opt for a suite as this gives the children a small bunkroon separate of...
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Catalogue of basic service errors spoiled our belated Christmas get together.Hot food served cold,childrens meals served cold ,breakfast pots of tea served cold,apologies and offer of freebies seemed to be the only solution on offer by members of staff,but replacemnt items still cold. HOT FOOD AND DRINKS NOT A LOT TO ASK FOR!!!

1  Thank annefos20
HiltonCath, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Hilton Coylumbridge. I am sorry that you encountered these problems but as I am unsure as to the dates that you stayed with us I am unable to comment on why this would have occurred. We did encounter some issues at breakfast purely on how busy it was and we extended our opening times to allow for this which helped but am unaware of any issues with the points you have raised.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

I've organised a couple of trips to the Hilton Coylumbridge now and intend to go back again soon as it is in an ideal location next to Cairngorm Mountain Ski Center.

The hotel is nice but is lacking a few standard hilton amenities. No individual concierge desk (a lot of the time only one staff member is working as concierge / reception), no lifts to the upper floors and no steam room in the leisure facilities. As im a young man the lift issue doesn't pose any problems to myself, but this may be problematic for more elderly couples. (The reception did however offer on both occasions to take my bags to the room which if I accepted would have relieved some of the burdon).

The rooms are quite well equipped and as i was staying with a few friends the gold card upgrades to double double rooms or executive family suites on our second stay proved very conveniant as I reallly dislike sleeping in a single bed in the standard twin rooms. The first stay was in the old wing and the hallway does have a damp aged sort of smell, that however was the only downflaw, the rooms were still modern and clean and the hotel offers a complimentary fruit platter to its Hhonors gold members. The word platter is a litle deceiving as it's a small bowl of mixed fresh fruit but all the same its free and very refreshing.

This hotel is unique in that it features a timeshare complex which is catered for by an on-site bar (the woodshed bar) and also various other activities (the fun house, climbing wall, small dry ski-slope etc) aimed at children but not restricted to (we might have had a quick shot of the climbing wall which was good fun).

The hotel also puts on live entertainment most nights and some quizzes etc in the woodshed bar. Overall this hotel is excellent, I did however have a run in with a member of staff who refused to sell me the last nip of a bottle of whisky I wanted to taste as it was not a full nip, even after insisting on paying the price as I really wanted to try the whisky she still refused to sell me it and took a bit of an attitude with me. I reported this to the nighttime duty manager after the bar closed and was met with a reluctant agreement to get back to me in the morning. The manager never did get back to me in the morning to explain why the member of staff refused to sell me the drink. However on my subsuquent stay the duty manager clearly remembered as took a very hostile manner at me when asking standard check in questions such as keeping my bags till the room was ready (she stated she would check them in after coming back from the dinner they were still laying on the floor infront of the reception desk contained over £1500 of electronic equipment - ridiculous). I then had to explain her hostility as it was picked up onby the person accompanying me. Completely and utterly unprofessional and not what I expect from Hilton. That said this is the only bad experiance I have had with the staff, the blonde headed female bar member and the unhelpful and abrupt duty manager. Every other member of staff has been extremely helpful and accomodating throughout my stays and especially the young guy who works on reception with glasses (forgot his name), but he was by far one of the most helpful friendly and efficient receptionists I have encountered in my travels.

Overall this is an excellent hotel, with excellent facilities and one of the best value for money. They just need to sort out a couple of members of staff who seem to have forgetten their purpose within the facility.

Room Tip: There is an old and new section to the hotel, if possible go for the new section. Also if you get of...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
The Boat Hotel
Macdonald Morlich Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Nethybridge Hotel
Nethybridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge

Been to Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!