“Food was disgusting, and hotel was generally in very poor condition”

Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Food was disgusting, and hotel was generally in very poor condition”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

The food was absoulely disgracefull, it is the first time in a restraunt where I have only eat two mouthfuls of my dinner. The dinner I ordered was sirlon steak, chips with diane sauce. Firstly I asked for the steak medium to rare and it came out medium to well and extremly tough, The chips were the most disgusting chips I have ever tasted and this is not an exaggeration, it was like they had been fried in year old oil, I could still taste the horrible taste in my mouth an hour later and I only had two chips. The diane sauce was equally as bad it was watery like gravey consistency with mushrooms chopped into it and this was an extra £2.50 into the bargin. Overall it was absolutely disgracefully, I wouldn't have expected the quality of food in a cheap resturant never mind in a hilton resturant. The rooms where also pretty tired looking and in need of a good make over. The shower was like a dribble and took ages to even get the shampoo washed out of my hair. I have stayed in many hilton hotels over the years but of late my last two visits have been really poor and I feel some Hiltons are in disperate need of a revamp. I have never minded paying for Hiltons as I always felt they offered good value for money but of late I just feel they are very much over priced for what you get and in future would prefer to look around for alternative hotels

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Br H
HiltonCath, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you for your comments. i am sorry that your food was not up to our usual high standards. You do not say if you returned your dish or if you advised us at the time, our staff would have been more than happy to replace any item of your meal that you were unhappy with. With regards to your room, I am sorry that you did not find it to your liking but do hope that you will continue to use Hilton as your preferred accommodation provider.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel is excellent for kids and I came here a lot when I was a kid. I was sadly disappointed by the food though. The restaurant used to serve excellent food but has gone downhill dramatically. I had to send my food back as it was unedible. There are many great places to eat out in aviemore though. Especially the Mountain Cafe.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Hilton Coylumbridge. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience but can assure you that your comments have been passed to our F&B team for their attention and is certainly an area that will be looked at in depth during the current remodelling and planning of our Grant Room Restaurant.
Kemnay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stayed here a few times now and it seems to get better each time. The hotel is set up great for families with different activities for all ages. The staff are all friendly and helpful. This hotel suits families, but also couples as it is a great base for sight seeing as well. It has a happy atmosphere and the bar area is a great place to get to know other guests. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. I can't wait until we're back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments and am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Room with 2 double beds which kids loved but found decor tired and bathroom grubby and basic. Leisure pool has 2 pools, one with a deep end and 2nd 1m depth for younger kids. Lounge and bar areas relaxing but bar prices shocking, £7.00 upwards for a glass of wine !! Decent Live entertaintment both evenings. Grant Restaurant under refurb so eating in main function room which lacks atmosphere but sure it will be ok when restaurant reopens. Food was just ok but kids did enjoy their buffet choices however found the service is very rushed and impersonal, probably as mainly all Europeans with very basic English. No chance of wine with meal at £25 for cheapest bottle! Went to Landmark Adventure park which still offers a great family day out......water slides, high rope tree trekking and smaller version for younger kids, small rollercoaster, free fall jump, climbing wall, play areas, maze, Forrest walks and much more.

• Stayed September 2011
aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

My only adverse comment was that the price of drinks were exceptionally high but service and staff generakky were good and particularly friendly towards my young grandchildren. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AberdeenBraveheart
Naxxar, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

We needed a hotel to serve as a base to visit the Aviemore area, and the hilton seemed to be an obvious choice. However, it was utterly disappointing. It is a mega complex which seems to be geared towards families and medium to large groups... definitely not recommended for couples. Staff are very impersonal, maybe due to the sheer size of the complex. Rooms are OK although bathroom had no window or extractor fan. Cleanliness was average. Drinks and food quite on the expensive side. For food lovers, this place is a nightmare. We had the dinners pre-paid, but we ended up having to go out and eat elsewhere... F+B needs some serious re-shaping. They wanted us to give them a time for dinner while I was still walking in with my luggage!! They told us the menu is always the same except for the 'special' of the day. The food looks like a factory style canteen. Sorbets were painted with the worst artificial colours I ever encountered. There is a hot drinks bar, but they cannot produce a decent cappuccino or macchiato... I can go on. On the bright side, there are some nice sports facilities - such as tennis courts and an indoor pool. I have learnt to be careful when analyzing hotel websites, as they can be very misleading, but I was a disappointed by hilton on this one. By the way, there is no elevator in this hotel - so I am not sure it is suitable for physically impaired guests. Overall, I think that it is not worth spending the money to stay at a place like this if you are just using it as a base for the evenings and night.

Room Tip: try to get rooms overlooking the back and not the front carpark
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
HiltonCath, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Hilton Coylumbridge. We are a family resort but outwith the school holidays we are usually quieter and do have a lot of couples staying with us. We do ask guests to book a dinner slot upon arrival so that preferred times are available and the guest is not disappointed when there is only a very early of late slot available. Concerning the lack of a lift as 70% of our rooms are on the ground or first floors it has not something that would be considered and we do have a number of accessible rooms available all on the ground floor. Our Grant Room restaurant is currently closed for a major refurbishment and is due to reopen in November and your comments on the F&B operation will be passed to the F&B team.

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed in one of the older units, thus some wear & tear prevalent but very spacious and accommodating for our family of four! Great base to explore Scottish highlands.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family