3,480 results
All reviews woodshed bar fun house family suite inverdruie restaurant toddler break main restaurant crazy golf kids club great for kids breakfast and dinner soft play school holidays outdoor activities public areas lounge area games room play park
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Just returned from our first Toddlers Break visit to this hotel and found it to be a fantastic week.

My 4 year old daughter had a brilliant time from start to finish (except for the fire alarm going off on the first night) and we would definitely return for one of these breaks again (just a pity my daughter can't stay 4 forever!)

The toddlers package included two passes for local attractions. We chose the Waltzing waters (terrible, but hilarious) and the Wildlife Park (brilliant choice). The park includes Amur Tigers, polar bears and you can also drive round the park to get a close up view of various animals.

As for the hotel itself, dont go on a toddlers break week if you dont have kids because they take over the place and run wild but if you do have kids it is excellent to see them all having such a good time. For 4 of the 5 evenings the hotel try to put on some evening entertainment for the kids (clowns, storyteller, disco, magician) and they all went down well apart from the dj not turning up for the disco.

As mentioned in other reviews the price of wine at the bar and in the restaurants are way overpriced. I honestly dont know why they cant review this as they would probably sell a lot more if they could knock off a couple of quid for a large glass. My advice would be to stick to beer or cider and enjoy a few glasses of wine out of the £10 bottle you get at Tescos in your room!

However, this week was all about the kids and was helped by a large snowfall at the start of the week so snowmen and sledges were in abundance.

Overall, excellent value (except for the vino!)

1  Thank colandjo
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I have recently returned from this hotel with my husband and my 2 year old son, what can I say, we all had a great time!. I would highly recommend the toddler break and we are now thinking of taking our main summer holiday here. The food in the Grant room was delicious and catered well for my 2 year old son. The service was beyond our expectations. We stayed in a family room which was clean and serviced all of our requirements. There are not places that I would go back and visit however this break is on my to do list again!!I

1  Thank dawnb99
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Stayed in this hotel with my partner & his nine year old daughter and i was throughly disappointed with it, having stayed in other hiltons i expected the same high standard but it was anything but !! The bed in our room squeeked at even the slightest movement and it was the worst nights sleep ive had in a long while. The Grant Room restaurant was average (kids under 11 eat free). We were asked the age of our chid on arrival for this purpose however when we dinned we were charged for her meal this was eventually sorted. We had drinks with our dinner and paid the bill before we left the table on checking out we were then issued with the same bill ! Drink in the hotel was so expensive £8.10 for a glass of white wine ! Stay clear of this hotel !

Date of stay: February 2011
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I had a very good deal when booking this hotel and because of this was somewhat concerned as to the state of the bedroom. However, I was very pleasantly surprised, my single bedroom was more than adequate with an excellent bathroom. The cleanliness and heating and hot water could not have been better. However, on the second night the room next door was occupied and I could hear everything that was said - telephone conversations and television. The downside was the evening meal. I am vegetarian and Hilton seem to think think that 'Fisherman's Salad', consisting of poached salmon, mussels and prawns, is vegetarian. When I brought this to the attention of the waitress I was told that they had been told to say that some vegetarians do eat fish and - there isn't much fish in it anyway!! I had risotto one evening which was 'awful' and on the menu this is considered to be 'vegetarian' even though it mentions 'parmesan', which any vegetarian will tell you this cannot be the case because Parmesan is an EU Protected Designation of Origin product and for that reason, it has to be made the traditional way, using calf rennet, so it's never suitable for vegetarians. I would not expect a small village cafe to know this but I would expect HILTON. It was also served with some very sad potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and swede. I ate in the Terracotta Restaurant after this, which was much better. On top of all this I did find £9.70 for a large glass of Shiraz a bit over the top.
I would like to say, however, that all the staff were very friendly, particularly Indra and David in reception.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2011

This hotel was one of the Stakis group taken over by Hilton. Built in the 60s, it's set in Rothiemurchus Caledonian Pine Forest in the newly designated Cairngorm National Park, and the grounds are pretty much unspoilt woodland, full of wildlife, such as a range of birds, red squirrel and even deer. The Timeshare lodges on site are sympathetically designed, and do not detract too much from the natural atmosphere. There are attractive walks through the large site, and across the ski road to Cairngorm, there are miles of pathways which you can explore on foot or by mountain bike. The holiday village of Aviemore is something of a blot on the landscape, about a mile or so to the West, but provides all the services you would require, with plenty of restaurants of good standard, an expensive filling station, pubs and hotels. There are shops, ranging from the ubiquitous Tescos, to various outdoor clothing outlets, a few independent local stores, and the expensive retail area up at Macdonald's Highland Resort. So much for the setting.
The Hilton Coylumbridge has undergone something of a facelift over recent years, and this is most evident in the foyer area, which comprises a large seating area and raised bar with typically high prices. Opposite the bar are two restaurants, the Grant, where dinner and the included breakfast are served, and a bistro-style smaller restaurant. Don't be foooled by the Costa Coffee counter, and it's Costa by name, and Hilton by pricing. Let's face it, Costa coffee is not cheap when you buy at Costa, but when you parachute it into Hilton, you pay £3.50 for a weak Americano, and the strains of Rip Off Britain ring in your ears. Jump in your car, and take a run along the road to Mor, at the Visitor Centre on the shores of Loch Morlich or the Mountain Cafe in Aviemore, for excellent and reasonably priced coffee and cakes to die for.
There are two pools, jacuzzi and sauna, but we didn't use them on this visit, so can't comment.
We took an inclusive DBB package, at an extremely attractive price of £63 per couple per night, so we were obliged to take dinner in the Grant. The menu was varied enough, unless, like my wife, you are vegetarian, in which case there are only 3 choices. The menu never changed on our 3 night stay, and although as an omnivore, I could have manged a week's worth, my wife ran out after two nights, and we were forced to head into town for La Taverna on the third night. My two meals in the Grant were adequate. Nothing special, but edible. The veggie food was dull and overcooked, and the pasta with supposedly roasted vegetables bordered on the inedible, with both pasta and vegetables ruined by over-cooking.
Breakfast is a buffet, with omelettes and waffles cooked to order. The buffet is better than average, but they did struggle to keep up, even though the hotel was not busy. Only about 1/3 of the restaurant was open. Expect bacon, sausage, eggs, haggis, beans, mushrooms, potato scones, fried bread, etc. The waffles are good, but expect to get sticky, as they haven't the gumption to put the syrup in jugs, and the squeezy bottles are covered in the stuff. Coffee tastes of old tin cans. There is quality bread, a few pastries and muffins, and a poor cold buffet.
Our room was on the ground floor, and although it had been refurbished to an extent, this was pretty superficial. There was no mini-bar, and you will be charged £3.95 for the £1 bottle of still water. The only internet connection is the chargeable wireless in the foyer, so you can't get on line in your room, and in this day and age, you should expect free room internet in a hotel of this standard. The bed was creaky, but not uncomfortable, but pillows were insubstantial and unsupportive. You get a kettle and instant coffee/tea and some Walkers shortbread, a desk, side table and a decent flat screen TV (some hotels still seem to be the last bastion of the cathode ray tube). The windows have been replaced with UPVC, but somehow still managed to be draughty, and the room was cold throughout our stay. Heating consisted of a small radiator underneath the window, and was no more than lukewarm throughout our stay. Although we had snow, it wasn't all that cold outside, just above freezing, so God knows what the room would have been like in winter, with -20C outside. The shower was barely a trickle, and the economy buttons on both flow and temperature were broken, making it difficult to adjust from low trickle to slightly higher trickle. As is so common in hotels, the remote waste plug on the sink was badly adjusted, so the water wouldn't run away and I had to remove the plug altogether, as the mechanism was buried behind fascia boards. No heated towel rail either.
In short, the room was of the standard of a tired Travelodge, and worse than a Premier Inn. Definitely not Hilton standard, and it's a national embarrassment that we allow foreign tourists to suffer these shoddy standards in our country.
On the plus side, the staff were generally cheery and friendly, and they even had a few locals employed, to dilute the Eastern Europeans (who provide excellent and efficient service, so no disrespect to them).
This hotel is adequate, but the rooms and corridors need investment. If they are going to have the same set menu for days on end, they need to provide more choice for veggies, as many if not most groups have at least one in their company, and they need to make more effort to provide food that tastes freshly cooked, instead of tired and overdone.
The heating system needs to be replaced with something that works, and the rooms need to be upgraded. Bolting some wooden panels on the wall, and buying a new TV does not make for a refurbished room, and everything needs to work, especially the plumbing.
I do sympathise with hotels; it must cost a fortune to refurbish a large rambling 60s pile, but if you commit to owning it, do it right, or your reputation suffers.
Finally, get it into your head that people don't like getting ripped off. I can afford £3.50 for a coffee, but I also know what coffee costs, and I know what it should taste like too.
There is no justification at all for charging more than Costa do for Costa coffee, and there is no excuse for serving dirty dishwater disguised as expensive coffee. If Costa can make money at their prices, Hilton can too, and it's these little things that are guaranteed to leave customers with a bad taste, and put them off returning. The same applies to the bar pricing, which is way over the top. As an out of town location, Hilton probably think they have their customers trapped on the premises, and can charge what they like. Their cheap deal was no doubt intended to draw people in, so they could milk them on the extras. Fair enough, if the prices were fair. I am old enough to remember when Stakis owned the hotel, and it was a bit of a hot spot. The bar and function rooms were buzzing, with hundreds of people out having a good time, proving that it's far more profitable to sell a large quantity of drinks and coffee at sensible prices, than have somebody grumbling over their two hour pint, and wandering off to bed.
Given decent coffee at decent prices, we'd have been happy enough to spend a couple of hours over the morning papers in the foyer, but chose to spend our money elsewhere instead. Hilton's loss; not ours.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple