All reviews aspects restaurant executive room leisure centre aviemore resort steam room leisure pool buffet breakfast huge bed weekend break stayed here for two nights tea and coffee enjoyable stay restaurant staff both mornings spey valley play area two night stay
Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

We are travelling to Aviemore for the weekend and staying locally with friends. I called to check the prices for a swim for a family of 5. We have used this place the last couple of years. I explained we are only visiting for one night and was quoted the price of £30 per adult & £20 per child for a weekly pass. If we wanted to swim one day it would be £100 - WHAT???? In the past we used the pool, soft play area, swimming, cinema, cafes and restaurants all at an extra charge - which was no problem as we were non- residents. Well this year we won’t be using any Macdonald facilities. We will eat and play elsewhere. Absolute rip-off. I did even consider staying at the hotel but the reviews changed my mind. Time to explore somewhere new.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2017

Dear RenateBelle,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The primary aim of the swimming pool is to ensure the experience for residents of the hotel and for those who are members of our local Highlife scheme and as such we now only offer a weekly pass to non-residents. This weekly pass works out at £4.28 per day for an adult, so this is very reasonable for unlimited access. Again, I am sorry that the change in the policy has affected you but this is something that has been in place for some time now.

Reviewed October 19, 2017 via mobile

Stayed in this so called 4* hotel last weekend, good points room was clean,good location,big bed,Wi-Fi, breakfast really nice. Would not say hotel is 4* to be honest I would rather of stayed in a premier Inn. On arrival to our room decided to make cup of tea after our journey only to find on tray there were no tea bags or sugar and only 2 little pots of milk unacceptable for a double room asked for some to be sent to our room. Housekeeping service is appalling still no refil of tea on tray, no water left, cups and glasses left dirty, shampoo and shower gel not replenished, they made the bed and that was all. Didn't use leisure facilities did try after a long day out went to use Jacuzzi but were told it was closed as too hot. I have stayed in 4* hotels before that were far superior to this don't know if we would stay here again to be honest

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear mutter14

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see that you liked the room, the location and the breakfast was really nice. I am sorry to read your comments about the housekeeping and I will be sure to raise this with the team.

Reviewed October 11, 2017 via mobile

While on our annual family trip to Aviemore, we went to use the swimming pool at the MacDonald hotel, which we have done before.
On this instance we went on the second last day of our week trip as the weather wasn't good.
Unfortunately we were told that to use this facility now we would need to buy a weekly pass, which for 2 adults & 1 child was a total of £80!!
As non residents, I feel this was way too high a price & felt discriminating against us for not being residents.
It has put us off using the resort for anything in the future!!

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2017

Dear Littlegillyc,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that you don't feel that the weekly passes are not value for money, they do work out to £4.28 for an adult and £2.86 for a child per day and allows unlimited access to the pool and we do feel that this is very good value. Guests staying with us at the hotel have unlimited free access to the swimming pool, as do local Highlife members and with increased visitor numbers we have taken the decision, as to ensure the best experience for all, to switch to weekly memberships. This has been in place for sometime and I am sorry that you were not aware of the change.

Reviewed October 10, 2017

We decided to return to Aviemore for a break this year. No busy airports , delays or the unknown. We love the quiet , the walks and the amazing landscape. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The restaurant was fantastic, the food very tasty, the staff were friendly, approachable and professional. The gym and pool were clean and easy to use. The pool was being shared by a local school one afternoon. I find this a great use of facilities, local kids being able to share the facilities of a multi national company. When we were there the " owner of the company was visiting the hotel" yet we were treated in as much a professional manner as we had been in previous nights.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2017

Dear Catherine L,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff team. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2017

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and could not fault it. We booked a year in advance and got a really good deal so wasn't sure what to expect but were very pleased The room was of a good size and very clean. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice and hot buffet. Staff helpful. The breakfast staff were particularly efficient. Large free car park Free wifi. The hotel itself has a burger restaurant which, we eat in one night but are not particularly burger lovers, There are other restaurants on the site. The swimming pool was large with 2 lanes for for length swimming, which allowed plenty of room for the children to play as well. Sauna and steam room. There is also childrens play areas and soft ball areas. The Spey Valley food court look very nice but was only open at lunchtime which was a shame as we would have used this had it been open in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2017

Dear Sue R,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.