“worst hotel I have stayed at in years” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
staffordshire UK
“worst hotel I have stayed at in years”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

A big mistake staying here, had we not have lost money we would have moved elsewhere, rooms the size of a postage stamp, inconsistent information from staff. I tied to ring guest services 5 times during my 2 night stay, the phone was answered once!
no room safe, no guest information in the rooms, no information in the room to tell you how to get on the the wi fi system,
the bed was reasonably comfortable but only because the old mattress had at least 2 toppers on it.
The only good point about this hotel is the restaurant Aspects , service good and nice food.
staff were pleasant

Room Tip: best way to get a good room is go to a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank espritguy
General M, General Manager at Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for the time taken to share your resort experience on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry that you feel left disappointed with your stay at the resort; we always aim to provide the best guest service possible and I am sorry you felt this was not the case.

Please be assured that all you comments and feedback has been passed onto the relevant departments for further investigation.

We hope you welcome you back again it the future.
The General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
staffordshire, uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in a tiny room, with an even tinier bathroom. There was a convector heater instead of a working radiator, no safe, no fridge but a glaring amount of light into the room from reception across the road and under the door. The noise from the corridor was enough to make me think I had left the door open but as it turned out the bathroom door offered just as little noise reduction.
The mattress was old and helped only by a separate topper, unfortunately covered by a stained protector.
However the rest of the room and bathroom were clean - credit to the housekeeping department.
There was no information in the room about services (restaurant times, how to access wifi, pool opening hours etc) and no answer from guest services telephone number on 5 out of 6 times that we tried.
No luggage trolleys and a receptionist that told us there was no indoor route between reception and our room, or our room and the pool (incorrect), added to the experience. (We had also asked the same receptionist about a larger room, and had been sent to see two other room of exactly the same size...)
The pool was nice when it was quiet and I have no problem with private cubicles in a communal changing room, but having to run a gamut of workmen (looking over which lockers needed repairing) between the showers and my clothes in a locker was a little too much exposure.
The most significant positive was that most staff were polite, pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review. I am sorry to hear of your disappointed resort experience – it is always our pleasure to provide the best possible guest service available and we take it seriously when guests do not feel that this is the case.
Please note that all your comments and concerns have been taken on board – however if you do wish to discuss your disappointment in further detail on a more private level, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us directly.

Thank you again for writing a review, and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

The General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights over half term with a family of 7, including children. We were very excited to arrive with the prospect of dry skiing, archery, t-shirt making, pottery, family entertainment in the evening, the swimming pool with huge slide. Sounds lovely doesn't it? That's what we thought too. We paid over £1000 for 3 rooms.
We arrived- OH, the dry ski slope and trampolines were closed. So what is on in the evening... Oh..nothing tonight ( this was a Saturday night) VERY excited child wanting to go swimming... Oh sorry slide opens at 10 and is only on for 15 minutes at a time every hour!!!
So we had a drink at the bar... 7 drinks at a cost of £43!!!!
Sunday came, we asked the receptionist, where can we find the children's entertainment to be told there was nothing happening, BUT we could travel 25 minutes drive down the road to their sister resort but pay for our own transport to use their facilities!!! WHAT????? We were told you had lots on here, only to be told numbers had dropped so actually they have NOTHING on.
So... we travelled 7 hours, paid in total £1100 for rooms, had no entertainment what so ever, very disappointed family and children. We thought the pottery shop looked like fun, so 2 of us painted a pot.. then told it was £32!!!!
I was told over the phone 2 days before we arrived that all entertainment was up and running, but we had nothing!!!! Spoke with the manager to be informed he would be in touch later that day ( Tuesday) or the day after. I rang on Wednesday, receptionist told me someone would ring me back... it is Thursday and still no call. Customer service is appalling!!! I would NEVER come here again and would advise people against it, if you want a good family break I would not recommend the Highlands hotel. Don't trust what your told, we did and had a very poor experience that cost us dearly and ruined our family trip away. I am so angry as I am sure you can tell. Lets hope MacDonald take note when they read this. If you want any further information please do get in touch with me I would be happy to share my experience and save you the money and upset.

Room Tip: Don't go!!!!!
5 Thank AntandGem
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for two nights last week. Check in is four o'clock which we thought was late. We were a bit earlier and was told to come back at four for a guaranteed check in. Off we went for a wander and came back at 4.15 to be told that our room was not quite ready. We did not get our room until almost five. Now I could forgive this if the receptionist was amenable when we checked out. I was told that check out was two but received a phone call from my sister to say it was eleven. I went straight to reception and this was confirmed. I thought that we had been given a later checkout as our room was late but no I was informed that this was an extra thirty quid. Needless to say I have never packed so fast in my life!

The room itself was lovely. No complaints there and the power shower is lovely. Dressing gowns and slippers are provided so no need to take these. We were very pleased with the kids facilities for our two year old and the pool is great. There is also a cinema and plenty to do in aviemore so a perfect getaway for families.

The first night we ate in Giovannis. Do not order bruschetta if you are hungry. It's the stingiest portion I have ever seen in my life. The chicken dish was also small. Luckily my toddler did not want his tomato soup (which was delicious) so I filled up on this. Other people on my table ordered the carbonara which was lovely. The second night we ate in Aspects. Now if I ever go back I would eat here every night. The food is to die for. We were very impressed and the breakfasts were the best I have ever had from a hotel. Wonderful service too!

On the whole it has been one of the best breaks I have ever had so we have booked to come back at Xmas but at the Hilton nearby so I just hope it's as good.

Room Tip: The second floor is on the same floor as aspects restaurant
2 Thank Donna R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your resort experience with us.
I am delighted to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful break whilst staying at the resort.
I am sorry to hear about the delay of your room and the confusion with your check out time. Please be assured this has been taken up with the relevant department to avoid any repeats of the incident.
It is a pleasure to read how wonderful your dining experience was, especially in Aspects, your lovely words have been passed on a delighted restaurant team.

We look forward to welcome you back again, hopefully sooner rather than later, in that case - please do not hesitate to contact us in advance to ensure your stay will be free of any inconveniences.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Hotel was okay, not very clear on where the main reception was in the Highland Hotel ... poorly light at night as we arrived after 7pm .... a huge tree in front of hotel stops anyone at night seeing where to go ....

Receptionist upon arrival advised problems with the keycards and maintenance guy was coming to fix .... waited with 2 sleeping kids and wife in reception .. after 20 mins I asked her what was happening she said ... sorry the guy has fixed it for you so you can now go unto your room .. even tho she saw us standing there, chose to not say anything and let us wait around ....

£4 per child for the soft play area is a bit of a rip off to be honest .. so we refused to pay that.

We were also not advised what was included with the DBB option we had taken .. so we had to ask ourselves .....

Giovanni's restaurant was very nice, service, staff and food was great.

Overall I gave this a 3 outta 5, could of been better if our start to the hotel was not interrupted by the rude receptionist.

Room Tip: Hilton Coylumbridge is better value for money.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your check in experience after having trouble finding the reception. We always aim for the highest guest service available – and we take it seriously when guests do not find this to be the case. Please note that you comments have been passed on.
Thank you for your kind words regarding Giovannis restaurant – I am happy that you had an enjoyable dining experience.

We look forward to welcome you back again,

australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We booked a last minute two day break at an incredible price. We were very happy with our room which was comfortable and gave us a good nights sleep. The swimming pool, sauna and steam room was an added bonus which we thoroughly enjoyed......but.....Aspects Restaurant was just wonderful, food delicious, mmmmm I will definitely have to revisit even if just for the food!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review to share your resort experience.
I am absolutely delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you very much for you wonderful words regarding your dining in Aspects Restaurant. Your wonderful comments were well received by our restaurant staff.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Great location as a base for visiting the area with good sized pool (jacuzzi broken just now - no information provided on when it would be fixed when asking). Room was not luxurious but was comfortable, quiet and the bathroom had a powerful shower. Wifi at no charge a bonus (hopefully Hilton are watching their competitors on this point). Request to provide extra pillows and fix broken bathroom door handle was dealt with efficiently, however, we queried why only one dressing gown/slippers but no explanation nor resolution given. Breakfast was good with a wide range of food at a high quality - disappointed that our request to sit at a quieter table was declined; several noisy children running between tables were off putting. (I'm sure this was frustrating the staff as well.) Returning to the bar one evening after dinner elsewhere, we were welcomed with a smile and service was impeccable.
Only a 2 minute stroll into the village centre, this hotel is probably hard to beat if you can get a good rate. Some other reviewers have mentioned decor; our room was well decorated and furnished as were the public areas; a hotel of this size is always going to need attention somewhere; the only down side worth mentioning is the no doubt eco-lighting does leave the rooms and restaurant a bit too dimly lit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time and effort taken to write a review and share your resort experience.
I am delighted to read your review and learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
It is a pleasure to see that you found the staff so welcoming during your stay, I know they will be delighted to hear your lovely comments.
I am happy that you enjoyed the breakfast, it is always something that tends to be popular with our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.