“Amazing stay!”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Amazing stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel is a part of a big resort complex. The location is amazing and the complex itself has everything from a golf course to a cinema and from a shopping mall to a mini water park. The hotel is only about a 30 minute drive from Cairngorms National Park and many Lochs which are great for a BBQ. The steam trains and main town of Aviemore are within 10 minutes wlalking distance. The rooms are large and the views are great. They have spared no comfort in the room and the hotel was the best one I have stayed at in the UK. There are some great restaurants nearby (the Italian and Indian restaurants are particularly good) and the towns only nightclub right across. Last of all, the hotel is completely value for money for a 4 star resort and the facilities provided. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Services at Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Amishi2490
Thank you for your excellent review about our resort. It is always a pleasure to read that we have exceeded our guest’s expectations and provided the highest possible level of customer service – as this is what we all strive for. We are happy that you had a great stay and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Thank you for taking time to write a review here on trip advisor.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Just returned from a stay here with my wife which we booked through bookings.com at a rate of £99pp for 3 nights bed and breakfast. Thinking we would be given a tiny room in a far away location we were to be pleasantly surprised. From the moment we arrived we were treated exceptionally well, from the staff at the reception to the leisure centre everyone was both knowledgable and extremely freindly.It was nice to know that the pool, sauna, steam room and gym were not extras as expected but free for hotel guests.
The breakfast was a buffet selection which included cereal, fruit juice, croissants and the cooked section of eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms and beans.You also get waiter service for coffee, tea and toast. Awesome! We also ate at the on-site Italian which does a buy one get one free on mains from Sunday to Thursday, although at £8.80 for a large glass of wine that takes away most of the saving. Again though the staff here were attentive and friendly.
The resort has plenty to keep you occupied including a 3d cinema, pitch and putt, shops, bars and restaurants on top of the leisure centre and although some of these are chargeable it was still a good value trip.
The room was large with a very impressive bathroom and huge bed but the furniture and tv could do with upgrading, however this is a minor detail taking everything into consideration.
The staff and the spectacular location of this hotel make it well worth a visit-especially if you get such a good deal as we did!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SRSTAUD
Thank you for you positive review – it is always a pleasure to see that we have delivered outstanding customer service as we take great pride at the resort in looking after our customers.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and made full use of and enjoyed the leisure facilities we offer on site. It is encouraging to read your wonderful words about our staff as this is something that each and every staff member works hard on and I know they will be happy to hear your positive feedback when it is cascaded back to them

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Staffordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

There were a couple of things which really didn't assist us in our stay and made the trip less satisfactory than expected:

The main problems was that there was no wi fi available across the site, either in the conference suite, accessible to purchase or though any other option. As a business professional, I need to get access to constant access for work purposes, even during a holiday/vacation. This caused me significant disruption and embarassment on a professional level that I was not able to keep in touch with key business contacts. I found it staggering that for such a large hotel chain, particularly as you are a conference hotel, the service was 'down' and had been for over a week. Having raised this with staff at reception and in the conference suite their attitude was passsive with little consideration or regard for how important this was. It was equally disappointing that dispite wi fi access being down there were no PC's available in the lobby nor in the business suite to gain internet access via a wired connection. I would have expected this an a minimum.

Secondly, but less importantly, it was disappointing for the children that the slide was only available for a limited duration during a short period of each day. I understand that there may be health and safety reasons as to why this was not possible however there were a number of lifeguard staff available to supervise the activity. Dispite accessing the pool for the 4 day duration of our stay, we did not manage to access the slide nor wave machine as it was 'the wrong time of day,' which was disappointing and would be useful if this 'inavailability' could be more widely circulated upon committing to a stay in the hotel.

Other than that we enjoyed our stay, love the location and the complex and would return, as long as the wi-fi and internet access can be guaranteed

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Caroline F
Dear CarolineFS1
Thank you for your balanced review of the Resort. We always appreciate it when a guest takes time out of their busy schedule to share their experiences with us.
I am sorry to hear that the wi-fi was not in working order during your stay with us, I can fully understand that must have been an inconvenience and a frustration. We do offer free wi-fi in the conference centre and having checked our records we cannot find anytime when it has been out of order for over a week. That said there was clearly a problem for you and we do apologise for that inconvenience.
Regarding the times of the slide and wave machine in our pool the times are standard and repeat each hour to give everyone a chance to use each of the facility types. We are sorry that this did not fit in with your schedule.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return and should that be the case please do not hesitate to contact us in advance so we can make sure next time we can hopefully make up for the inconveniences of this stay. We do hope to welcome you back to the resort in the near future and thank you once again for your feedback.
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights B&B, the service cannot be faulted! Aviemore was cold cold cold ! but the service in the resort was excellent. Clean too. I used the spa for a massage and a facial. The quality of the facilities and expertise was second to none. We'll be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AthenaGlasgow
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; it is always encouraging to read such wonderful and kind words. I know our staff will be delighted to hear that their guest service made your stay second to none.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the resort a few times but not in the Highland so as I got a reasonable deal I thought I would try it. The room was large enough. The bed huge and very comfy. The tv very outdated and bad reception which is pretty normal for Aviemore! The breakfasts as usual very good with a nice variety including fresh fruit. I just had takeaway meals as have tried the resort restaurants and not impressed with any of them. I don't like Italian, found the food dried up in the daytime cafe and Aspects is just too chefy. A plain good steak from nearby Rothiemurchus with some salad and baked potato would be great....good honest fresh no frills quality food. I tried the food at Dalfaber a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed with it either. Take a look at the Cairngorm...they do it right!

The most disappointing thing though is the pool. It is marketed as a spa and yes you can get a spa treatment there but to me a spa pool has to be for adults only and have a hydrotherapy circuit with jets and hydrotherapy beds. This pool is just a kids playground. The one time I did try it a couple of years ago I hated it...it was noisy, you couldnt swim for the folk messing around in it, a group of people totally hogged the spa bath and the steam room and sauna didn't work. I have brought my cozzie every time I have come but cannot bring myself to use that pool again! I believe that there is an unused pool in the Four Seasons. How I wish that the company would consider refurbishing it for use as a proper adult spa with a proper hydrotherapy circuit, jets etc.....I for one would use it whether I was staying at the resort or not....in fact I would come for day trips! This part of Scotland really needs a proper spa facility. I love Aviemore and remember fondly the old centre which used to flow from one part to another culminating in Santa Claus land. It lay unloved and derelict for years and I am glad that Macdonalds rescued it but I do feel that a lot has to be done to utilise the space and refurbish the hotels. Walking into some of them is a bit creepy...the Aviemore inn has a huge ground floor area totally unused apart from the Italian. I've not been in the Acadamy or Four Seasons....yet! The lodges are magnificent though.....I was upgraded into one once and had only red squirrels for company...magic!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear jetice_10
Thank you for taking time to write a review as we always appreciate guest feedback in order for us to continually improve our resort and guest service.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room – and I can inform you that all of our executive rooms and family rooms in the Highlands Hotel now have flat screen televisions following guest feedback like that you have provided. The ongoing investment into the resort will ensure that we can continue to offer the highest possible guest service and facilities.
Please note that all of your comments regarding our leisure facilities have been taken on board and both the steam room and sauna are now in working order.
We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the near future and that you will give us another chance..
Guest Services.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights as part of my wife's birthday celebrations. The room was a good size and very comfortable. The hallways could maybe do with a spot of redecorating but not so much that it spoilt the hotel. The leisure facilities were good and the swimming pool was very good and up to date (despite having read one review that said it was outdated - utter nonsense!) Although it is used for swimming lessons for local school children. Not a problem in itself but when we went to try and use the pool we weren't informed that a lesson was in full flow, reducing the main part of pool area to one 5ft wide lane- not ideal.
Breakfasts were excellent for both choice and quality of the food. I can't comment on the dinner menu as we ate in the village both nights; not a slant on the restaurant or food, the menu just wasnt really our taste- nothing more.
The central hub of the resort was very good, if a bit pricey for some of the clothing brands, but that was expected. Overall we enjoyed the stay immensely, with facilities and staff being excellent in general. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Mickeyblue1970
Many thanks for your positive feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we genuinely appreciate your kind words regarding our staff members as that is something that we work hard on to get our customer right. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the leisure facilities that we offer on site – they always tend to be popular with all of our guests.

Thank you for taking your time to write a review.
We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Manteca, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were there on a tour, so I can't comment on value.

The service in the restaurant was incredibly bad. We were ignored by all the waiters, and even getting the restaurant manager to intervene worked only for a while. At one point the waiter brought the entrees for the other 3 folks at our table and asked me what I'd ordered. Then he came back twice to ask me again. It took another 15 minutes to get served. The food was mediocre when it did arrive.

I think I've never had such bad service in a restaurant.

Later I needed to get an extension cord so I could use my nasal cpap machine. That took a hour, 3 visits to the front desk, and It was hard to get the attention of the front desk attendant who was too busy flirting with someone in the adjacent bar to man the front desk. The on duty manager finally said he didn't want to help because he expected me to steal the cable. He was quite aware of the outlet issue but wasn't motivated to help. Pushing harder, I did get the cord and, yes, I returned it to the front desk.

Needless to say, if there had been any electric outlets at the head of the bed, I'd not have had a problem.

Other than the electrical problem, it hotel itself was ok. Just eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you need an extension cord, bring your own (BYOC?)