“Please,please don't stay here!”

Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Possibly no no actually the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying at!.PLEASE don't bother!!!!. I've stayed at a few of the hotels this company have to offer throughout the UK and have always been more than happy,but this hotel/resort is by far the worst hotel they have in their portfolio,to be honest its an embarrassment to the brand!.Ive always enjoyed my stays at the Manchester hotel however my experience was that bad I probably will never stay in another again!!!!.

Room Tip: Don't book a room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark W

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had a lovely stay with my family for my sons 2nd birthday.Everyone was very helpful and accommodating.
There was plenty to do with the pool,cinema and soft play area for the little ones plus a good choice of dining options.
In the literature in our room we noticed the complex are doing packages for families throughout december with santa visits and a pantomine etc which looks amazing.
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 10, 2012

we did book this on an offer and got a good price but we had the option of the 3* Aviemore Inn or 3* Four Seasons and paid the higher amount for the 4* Highlands Hotel. I'd be curious to see the rooms and public areas in the others as I would definitely not rate the Highlands Hotel as 4*.

The corridors were very shabby and not that welcoming. The door to get in the block was more like a fire exit and not very easy with a pram (we had our 14 week old baby with us). The lift was very old and juddered a lot, could do with upgrading.

Though our room was big enough it just felt tired and dated - a lick of paint and new carpets would make a huge difference. We were delivered a bottle of water minutes after arriving in room which was a nice touch.

The restaurant was lovely and the food was pretty good, smallish portions at dinner but breakfast was very good and service all round in restaurant was excellent. Very attentive staff and showed interest in the customer. The only negative about the restaurant was it got really chilly towards the end of our meal and we left taking our drinks with us to finish in our room instead of enjoying the restaurant surroundings, which were very pleasant.

On returning to our room however it was freezing and the wall heater had gone cold, it took ages to get it working again - we reported it and an electric stand alone heater was brought to us but as i didnt feel safe to leave it on overnight the room never really warmed up. At check out we mentioned it and were told the heating goes off when you remove the key card - would be helpful to tell custs this at check in, especialy during the winter months! The girl couldn't have cared less when we said we had been cold and our baby had too! I was gobsmacked at her lack of customer relations!

After staying in a few other MacDonald Hotels we were disappointed - the facilities here were excellent and is probably the key selling points but the decor, ambience and general appearance really let down the brand name. Not sure we would book into this hotel again - definitely not if paying full price anyway.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel itself is in good condition. The staff were excellent and tried to be extremely helpful. Unfortunately, they live in fear of "The Management". There was a minor issue with my room - but the receptionist wasn't empowered to do anything about it without permission .. and "The Management" wasn't available. In the morning, the porters were taking bags down the main elevators. Why don't they use the service elevator? "The Management won't let us". Until "The Management" figures out that the way to happy customers is through empowered, happy staff I would avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Visited end of week with boyfriend. The whole place (including town) was eerily quiet. So boring, we left a day early & headed to Newcastle instead - not the fault of the hotel.

The hotel staff were friendly. We stayed 2 (of 3) nights BB. Breakfast was lovely. Staff pleasant.

The bar was expensive - be warned. No TVs, just horrific "calming" music played in every area. No standard access to wifi - unless you want to pay!!! Found that a joke, as advertising conference facilities. These days I assumed that it was practically standard.

My boyfriend fancied watching a football match on the evening we arrived - the sports bar had closed at 6pm, useful (personally I wasn't too disappointed).

The room was clean. Nothing exciting. The soaps were ok, but not replenished daily which is a surprise given its 4* rating. I had asked for a room with a view - this wasn't ready when we arrived at around 5pm (check in 4pm). We were provided with room 2335 - no view. Bathroom was small but clean. No need for the warnings on "heated" towel rail - it was never on. We contacted reception about our cool room, there was a large radiator under the window but according to reception staff they are "never in use" but we should use the wall mounted electric heater - we had done this two hours previously & it didn't seem to heat the room. Receptions answer was "oh well, I'll let estates know". Hardly an appropriate response! This was supposed to be a quiet few days away & I really didn't have the heart to argue...

The pool (open 8-8) was large, good sized changing areas, towels supplied but the pool was freezing! Although other swimmers were in it was unbearable. I mentioned it to the pool attendant. I had expected to have access to dispenser style shampoo, nope, it was necessary to head back to the room to shower again!

One things for sure, the little things added up - I doubt we'll be back unless some serious changes are made. So disappointed with this trip.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As we were in a holiday let in the area we thought it would be a good idea to get a pass as we have 4 kids who all love the water. It cost us 80 which also allowed us to use the gym and the fun house soft play area. Getting towels included was fantastic as don't think I could have laundered 6 towels a day! The pool and changing area were pretty clean and temp was fine. Slide opens each hour so the kids enjoyed that especially. Wave machine did not seem to be working and the spa pool was broken. Steam room and sauna were both fine and the soft play area was enjoyed by the kids.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jayse21
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and i stayed at this hotel for a weekend break. We did use our Tesco vouchers to pay for this break so cant complain at the price but had we paid i would have been very annoyed! The room was incredibly shabby, the carpet wasnt very clean and bathroom tiles were broken. For a 4 star hotel i think this hotel is in major need of upgrading. Aviemore itself is fantastic, therefore, this hotel is a great location. The shopping resort, cinema, leisure facilites and restaurants are of a good quality but the hotel is not of the same standard. We had stayed here a few years ago and were delighted with it but either it has just worn or we were given the worst room! I would be more inclined to opt for the HIlton Coylumbridge next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andybabx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort? Share your experiences!