“Great place to relax after skiing” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Bristol
“Great place to relax after skiing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

We went to Aviemore for a ski-ing trip and enjoyed our stay at the Mcdonalds hotel.

Room was very comfortable and breakfast was great.

Also nice to have pool for use after ski-ing.

Restaurant food was also good although it would have been nicer if there was a little more variety. Service was also good but be felt dinner was a little rushed. (guess this is because we were there mid week so not many people around but staff were used to high turnover of customers in busier times)

Overall it was a relaxing experience and we had a great time. It was also really good value and we would certainly use it again.

1 Thank Edstu
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Relations Manager at Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2011
Dear Edstu

Thank you for the positive feedback that you have written about our hotel.

We note your comments regarding dinner choices and we will look at this feedback when conducting our menu reviews.

Thank you again for taking time out to provide us with your views and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

The Highland is based on a complex almost as big as the town itself. The resort has a central reception and the Highland is in the block furthest from the entry road.

The room was okay but didn't come with most of the amenities it was supposed to as listed on both hotel and Expedia website. No DVD player, CD player, premuim TV channels etc. Not what you'd expect from supposed 4 star. Bed was good though and we didn't spend too much time in the room to be bothered by lack of 'gadgets'. Also didn't want to waste time going back to reception to complain and also with not having web access there was nothing apart from my memory to confirm these features were actually missing.

Breakfast was excellent buffet-style though busy.

We also didn't use the gym / pool but they looked quite good, and instead prefered to just walk the 5 mins into the village. Also we used the town's pubs and restaurants rather than those in the hotel.

Dear cpb_100

Thank you for your feedback.

The rooms do not have DVD or CD player as standard however we do have a selection of DVD players at Guest Services if one is required and all rooms advertise the guest services number for any such query.

Our company offer competitive Wifi pricing across the resort which is supplied by BT Openzone

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and we regularly receive positive feedback regarding the quality of our the breakfast service and offering on the resort.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Macdonald Aviemore Resort in the future and thank you once again for taking time out to offer us your thoughts.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

Very good stay as usual at The Highlands Hotel in Aviemore.
Slight confusion as I had booked into the neighbouring Four Seasons which was closed for rennovations apparently.
However, when we made the very short journey to The Highlands Hotel, a very polite receptionist apologised and assured us that our booking has been changed to The Highlands Hotel.
Room quality is always good - bed very comfortable.
Breakfast among the best I have had in any hotel.
Hotel staff always very polite and helpful.

Ill definately be visiting The Highlands Hotel again...

Dear thecrock02

Thank you for the positive comments that you have made about the Highlands Hotel and its staff. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

May I take this opportunity of thanking you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the future.

Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

If you have any other options for places to stay in Aviemore, I would pursue them. I will say that the couple we traveled with had a renovated room, of which, there were only 2 in the hotel, and that room was actually pretty nice. The rest of the rooms were pretty sketchy. Unless they finish renovating the rest of the rooms, do no stay here. The walls are also very thin, and the room next to us had a bunch of kids that were up yelling at 2am. It is a good location, though, right by all the pubs and restaurants. As an example of the bad service, our toilet didn;t flush, and when we called the front desk, they sent a guy up who pumped the handle about 30 times, and when it finally flushed, he looked at us and said, "it works fine". That's not how toilets flush where I'm from! Again, good location, but stay somewhere else.

1 Thank HokieVol
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Relations Manager at Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear HokieVol

Thank you for your comments. Delivering the highest standards of service to all our guests is the very basis of our company core values and we would always welcome your feedback where you feel this has not been the case.

If you would like to contact me at the resort directly I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and to resolve any outstanding issue for you.

Guest Services Manager

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at the Macdonald Highlands Hotel - what a disappointment. My previous visit was over new year for two days and all was well - as a result I opted to return for a 7 days stay in February ... i cant believe the change.

Firstly there are some positives:

The hotel is well located in the centre of Aviemore and with ample parking it is a simple walk from the hotel into the town for pubs, restaurants and shops

The hotel has an adequate Leisure centre which includes pool and gym

There is a 600 seat cinema on the site

The rooms are of good size and clean

Some of the staff are friendly and on occasions when things were going wrong it was not for want of trying from some of the staff

So why the disappointment???:

Given that this is a four star hotel I was surprised that the rooms did not have a fridge, DVD player, that the TV signal meant that some of the TV channels were fuzzy and that you have to pay in the region of £30 extra for a weeks wireless internet access.

The guest information in the rooms is non-existant. I cant be sure (as there was no guide provided) but I am under the impression that despite advertising itself as an ideal base for winter sports, there is no dry room for kit on the site.

You will also find that the hotel is a rabbit warren. There are lots of handy exits but the majority are fire exits which are seldom open when you return. As a result you have to always go the long long long way round to get to your room. It screams out for an entry system on the doors which can be accessed with room cards.

If you are working to a tight timescale - ie to get out on the ski slopes or climbing etc dont expect to get through breakfast quickly. The service from the staff is terrible. They are not capable of adequately managing the numbers on the resort leading to lengthy Q's (on one morning i was in a queue for 15mins and when i got to the front i was told to sit in a waiting area (essentially a holding pen) and i was now in another queue to wait for a table!). Dont bother trying to ask for anything unusual ie something as simple as two rounds of toast ... the staff dont seem to be able to compute when you are seeking the most basic of bespoke service, and when things are not going well and you try to explain why you are disappointed, dont expect them to engage with you and show any real concern. Only one staff member seemed to be concerned and tried to resolve the problems. Of the 7 breakfasts i endured at the hotel, 4 were scared with inadequate service. Not a good strike rate for what is supposed to be a 4 star hotel.

I could also not get to the bottom of why breakfast is advertised as being available from 7am but that hot food is never ready before 7.20/7.30 ... odd

If you do stay here and things are not going well - do be prepared for the struggle when you try to communicate with the general manager - you will be fobbed off with the customer feedback form and a rather dull insight into company policy. I recommend you hold your ground.

You may take the view that 'little teething' problems when it comes to service are no big deal, and if you are staying for a couple of days and not in any real rush you are probably right. If you are booking here because you are expecting four star service, and you have little patience for lots of little and irritating deficiencies ... this is not the hotel for you.

1 Thank tourist04
Dear tourist04

Thank you for your comments. We have always had a passionate approach to hospitality and we would always welcome comments and suggestions from guests who do not feel we have succeeded in this.

Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

stayed here for the second time,staff lovely as usual at check-in and through out our entire stay.great room decor,but beds are too soft as are pillows ,so didn,t sleep very well.no views from room,looked out onto parked cars outside. aspects restaurants charge a supplement of £7.00 supplement for steak on top of the £20.00 per person allocation for dinner for a 2 course meal,but this is mentioned in menu,the chicken was served on a bed of mash which was nice,but not enough on plate -even veggies are charged as an extra supplement-on this particular dish i think this is a bit steep and should have been included anyway. great breakfast plenty to choose from.would certainly return to this hotel. girl at check-in and waiters/waitresses in aspects very attentive and efficient.

Dear sootyboy

Thank you for your comments. Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I would always welcome your feedback where you feel has not been the case.

We note your comments about the beds and pillows and will ensure that we take these points on board.

Your comments pertaining to menu pricing and portion size have been passed to our executive chef and he will review this feedback when he is planning his next menu revisions.

I have passed on your other kind remarks to the relevant staff members.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the future.

Somewhere on the Highland Main Line
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

I came up overnight on an impulsive last minute trip to chase a slim possibility of seeing the Northern Lights. So I was only in Aviemore for 13 hours, overnight, thus did not sample the full range of facilities at the hotel and the complex of which it is a part. However I was more than happy with my luxurious Highland Executive room which was so impeccably clean I felt as though I were the first person ever to stay in it. At the same time the comfortable armchairs and cushions gave a feeling of cosy pampering and prevented it from feeling too formal and "sterile"; a winning combination. Some reviewers have found the arrangements at this resort to be somewhat complicated, with reception, meals and accommodation being in different buildings (though this particular hotel is the one which also contains Aspects restaurant where breakfast is taken); I can relate to that impression but once you realise that the layout is as it is and expect it, it's not too taxing to get used to it. There are signposts at regular intervals and in every place where there is more than one way forward. I am rubbish with directions and managed to suss it out in a brief overnight visit, with the help of the staff who I found to be cheerful, courteous, professional and infinitely patient! Getting to my room involved one brief return to the outside through what looks like a fire exit and across to the next part of the corridor, which was unexpected and made me question whether I had followed the signs correctly but once I had figured it out, the only other complication was finding out how to operate the keycard to get into my room. Rather than put it in the slot and wait for a green light, you have to put it in and withdraw it quickly. Once inside the room, the keycard is placed in another slot just inside the doorway to activate the heating and lights; anything plugged into a regular socket with an on-off switch still receives power when the keycard is removed, so anything in the refrigerator is perfectly safe. If there are two of you sharing, one person's keycard can be left in the inside slot in order to keep the heating on and the lights can be switched off manually on going out while the other is kept with you to regain access to the room; if like myself you are staying alone, another keycard will be provided if you wish to keep the heating on for your return. Having the inside slot right by the door serves the useful additional function of making it less likely guests will forget their keycards and accidentally lock themselves out! The bed was extremely comfortable and the food in the well organised breakfast buffet delicious with a wide range of options and friendly service; I saw staff giving helpful updates to guests who had come up for snowsports as the road to Cairngorm Mountain was closed first thing in the morning. It was an enjoyable getaway. Oh, and those Northern Lights? Well, I cannot say that I definitely saw them; it was largely cloudy and the full moon dominated the gaps of clear sky but there was a definite greenish, electric quality to the light coming through. Aviemore rocks. Any time spent there is worth it. If you stay here, expect to invest just a little time and concentration into getting to know your way around the complex and then enjoy the rewards!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank InterCity125
Dear Intercity 125

Thank you for your feedback - it is always a pleasure to read such positive comments about the resort and the staff. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Aviemore Resort in the near future.