“Cooked in old fat and floating in grease.”
Review of Mountain Cafe

Mountain Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Aviemore
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: We use some of Scotland's best local produce to create healthy, wholesome & interesting food with a Kiwi twist. We opened our doors in 2004 and have been gaining awards and accolades for our antipodean style coffees, delicious breakfasts, superb lunches & fresh home baking ever since. Our service is friendly & casual with a professional team from all over the world. The café offers excellent views of the Cairngorm Mountains - enjoy our balcony area during summer and the cosy log burner to sit by during the winter months. All the pictures are of our food - why not come in and sample our hospitality when you are in the area next?
dundee
“Cooked in old fat and floating in grease.”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This café was recommended to me when I asked at a nearby café that did not serve breakfast, where was good to eat. The food was terrible and overpriced. I was served bacon and egg with mushrooms and baked beans on a plate swimming in grease. Both the bacon and egg were flecked with black as if it had been cooked in old fat. As the staff were really nice though stressed and I was very hungry I mopped up the grease as best I could with paper napkins and eat some of the food.

On the positive side the staff were good and the food was hot as was the coffee. I am told the food is better in the evening but would not go there again. In future I will wait until I get to Ballinluig - better food at a reasonable price.

3 Thank Boycebabe
Kirsten G, Owner at Mountain Cafe, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
I am truly sorry that you had such a terrible breakfast with us, I am totally gutted, as the standard that I have set is much higher than this & we have rules in kitchen that food must not be oily & that our griddle must be scraped clean at all times. This has not clearly not happened in your case & I have spoken with our team of chefs to insure this will not happen again in the future.
This is a very rare situation as we can cook up to 50 all day breakfast on a busy day & this is our first serious complaint about greasy food.
We change our fryers every other day & I can assure you, your breakfast was not cooked in old oil, I do believe it just wasn't cooked to our usual standards & for this I can only apologise.
I understand you do not want to return, but if you would like to give us a second chance then please contact me direct on mail@mountaincafe-aviemore.co.uk as I would like to send you some vouchers.
Kind reagards
Kirsten Gilmour
Owner & head chef

Aberdeen
“Great cake”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Popped in for cake and coffee during our break in the area. Cake was really good and with an amazing choice of homebakes it was difficult to pick. I opted for the freshly baked chocolate and beetroot cake which was delicious. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Loved the view over the cairngorms. Great pit stop if your in the area.

1 Thank Damamaaberdeen
“Staff need training!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited twice during our week stay in Aviemore. The food was to a high standard, fresh and beautifully presented. The menu has alot of options for varied diets and was also at well priced. However, what let it down was the staff! We gave our order to a waitress who did not smile at us once! Then our meal came out and it was wrong. My daughter had asked for a steak sandwich with no cheese or onions and no seasoning on the chips, however, when it came out it had all of the above. When i informed the waitress she just stared at us then walked away with the meal. We were left clueless about what was happening! The young blonde waitress then came back, was very unfriendly and mumbled something about ten minutes then walked away.My husband was very annoyed at this point and asked another member of staff to speak to a manager about what was happening with our daughters lunch. A girl came over and introduced herself as Yasmin, the supervisor and explained that there had been a confused with our daughters meal but a new one was being made at the moment. She offered our daughter another drink just now but she had not finished her milkshake so were told she could get another drink for free if it was wanted and a piece of cake to takeaway. We felt much better after speaking to this member of staff as we know knew what was happening! True enough our daughters meal arrived 5 minutes latee and she very much enjoyed it. Upon leaving we were very disgusted to past the cultery stand to over hear the blonde waitress who had 'served' us and another femail waitress moaning about the supervisor telling them to do things. We thought this was highly unprofessional and disrespectful. Upon leaving we were given a free piece of cake as an apology for the confussion over our meal. When we returned to have breakfast the following weekend before leaving Aviemore, we were 'served' by the same blonde waitress. This time she spoke to us with a tone of voice that made us feel as if we were stupid! She did not have any manners and tried walking away before we had finished ordering our meal. We were highly disapointed with the service and would not be returning! Major let down considering the food was amazing ! Some staff need basic waitress training.

1 Thank Julieferguson79
Kirsten G, Owner at Mountain Cafe, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
You are totally correct staff training is need & also some communication skills are to be learnt by this team member! I have looked into this in great depth & the mix up with the food was because there were two steak sandwiches going to two different tables. The plain one for your daughter was taken to the wrong table & your table received the all singing all dancing version. This should not have happened in the first place.
You are absolutely correct you should have been told what was going on, you also should have been apologised to about the mix up. This staff member has been spoken to about her approach, her manners, unprofessionalism & we are aware that she does not cope well when stressed, this is something we are working on with further training. I am really pleased you enjoyed your food, but really sad it was let down by the terrible service you received. I would love to post you some vouchers so your give us a second chance. Please accept my humble apologises, I am constantly striving to make sure everything is perfect for our customers, but as I am sure you aware we don't always get it right.
Yours
Kirsten Gilmour
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great breakfasts”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had to queue for a table on a busy Saturday morning but breakfast was well worth the wait! The pancakes with bacon, berries and banana were superb and the scrambled eggs my partner had were the best he's tasted! This cafe is very child friendly with a separate kids breakfast menu. My sons loved sitting out on the balcony where we had a fantastic view of the Cairngorms and the steam railway. As we were paying our bill we noticed the amazing cake selection ! Can't wait for our next trip to Aviemore so we can come back .

Dunfermline, Scotland
“They do all things well”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

After years of traveling up and down the A9 and enjoying three Mountain Cafe's cooking and baking I feel I owe them a review. To keep it brief, they do all things well. The breakfasts are brilliant, the main courses imaginative, the baking superb and the coffees are pure art. Apparently they are compiling a cook book. I’ve signed up to receive the details when its published to see if any of their magic can rub off on me. They are sometimes busy ... Aviemore is busy at certain times of the year but I’ve always found the wait worthwhile and the service excellent.