“Fab u lous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mountain Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Aviemore
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Kids, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We use some of Scotland's best local produce to create healthy, wholesome & interesting food with a Kiwi twist. We opened our doors in 2004 and have been gaining awards and accolades for our antipodean style coffees, delicious breakfasts, superb lunches & fresh home baking ever since. Our service is friendly & casual with a professional team from all over the world. The café offers excellent views of the Cairngorm Mountains - enjoy our balcony area during summer and the cosy log burner to sit by during the winter months. All the pictures are of our food - why not come in and sample our hospitality when you are in the area next?
Manchester
“Fab u lous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I love this place! Great views and great food. Would highly recommend the veggie burger and the Cullen skink - only problem is the portions are so big I can never manage the cakes afterwards.....just as well they do takeaways too :))
Be prepared to queue at lunchtime though.

belfast
“Cakes to die for and the best salad I have ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I visited here twice in may 2013 with my hubby after cycling from Ballater over lecht to aviemore. So each time I arrived ravenous!! The cakes and breads are all made on site and the only complaint is that I wanted one of everything!!

I had the most amazing chicken and butternut salad. The nicest salad I have had. The dressing was fab. On my earlier visit I had a baked potato with smoked salmon which was equally delicious. Hubby had a salmon noodle salad which was super. On his second visit he had soup which was very hearty and tasty.

My only complaint is that when it gets busy people queue on the stairs and the staff don't necessarily know they are there! Service can be slightly slow at busy times but it is clear all orders are cooked fresh so it is worth the wait. Good kids menu and plenty of high chairs.

1 Thank redheadsturnheads
Stavanger, Norway
“Amazing home bakes and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stopped in Aviemore for a late lunch yesterday and decided to try Mountain Cafe based on the trip advisor reviews. It did not disappoint. We had to wait 10 minute for a table at 3.30pm which goes to show how popular it is. Unfortunately my first choice of quiche of the day was finished (again not surprising given the time) so I opted for the warm sweet potato, olive and feta salad served with home baked bread. It was divine. So much so I took a picture of my plate in the hope that I can recreate it at home! My boyfriend went for the steak sandwich served with homemade chips and salad and that was also very good. We finished off with delicious scones and coffees. Service was friendly and prompt and there was a nice view over to the Cairngorms from our seat by the window. When paying at the end of our trip we got to view the full selection of home bakes, it then took all of our self control not to buy a few samples. There was also a range of Mountain Cafe produced preserves and sauces on sale which looked good. All on all a lovely visit and I would highly recommend to anyone passing through.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“"Slow unpleasant.... could you call it service....no I don't think you can"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I have visited the Mountain Cafe many times over the past few years, when we first visited we raved about it but then we found it went down hill somewhat and so did not visit for quite sometime. We tried it again possibly about a year ago and it was good although not what it once was in my opinion. Anyway, we stopped off recently, this time just to pick up a couple of coffees & cakes. There was no queue, we got straight in, no waitress acknowledged us initially and there were plenty of them going about, the restaurant was quieter than usual and so they were not rushed. I asked one if they did coffee to take away which she informed they did... but she walked away. Anyway not deterred we stood beside the area that the coffee machine was and I was astounded at how long we were ignored with no eye contact at all. Finally, a rather abrupt waitress did take our order........ we stood for over 20 minutes (personally I would've walked out but hubby was desperate for something to eat and drink), in all that time the waitress never said there was a problem at all, if she had just said sorry there will be a delay for whatever reason I would have understood. To me it was terrible service and I won't be back. Also, whilst waiting I rushed to the ladies (no need to rush!) and have to say they were not fresh or clean.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Toonser
Dollar, United Kingdom
“Never disappoints”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Fantastic food, well priced, huge selection, what more can you ask for?
If ever we are in the area we have to visit. Delicious!