“Good food”

Mackenzies Highland Inn
Ranked #26 of 29 Aviemore B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stopped by for a late lunch with friends. Menu has a good selection and there is also a specials board with a selection of main courses for £5. Had a Mackenzies sharing platter for 2 @ £10. In a word - fantastic. Friends had filled rolls of pulled pork with melted cheese and red onion - looked tasty and we were informed, were very tasty. No hesitation in recommending this place. Food good, service good ans all reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went here with my wife, we where drawn in by 2 meals for £10 which is very good. I was not expecting much but I was surprised when my burger game out, the portion size was very good and it tasted great! My only complaint would be that they forgot to put the pasta in my wife's pasta bake but I think is was a genuine mistake and over all the food was good and I would go back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a lovely stay here. There was a slight problem with our room that was handled extremely professionally and I can honestly say that I think the customer service skills of all staff at McKenzies is exemplary. The food is amazing and very reasonably priced. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hipster4ever
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Spent one night here, on way to Elgin. Hotel is in need of some TLC, rooms were clean and had everything needed but were rather shabby. Shower was tiny with an electric shower that had very little pressure. Had dinner which was excellent, no complaints. waitress at night was a bit dour and harassed but at breakfast we had a lovely breakfast served by a smiling lady who was ever so helpful. Entertainment on Friday night was excellent, a guy playing guitar and singing, asking for requests, he managed to play most of the songs requested.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Gourmet burger and a pint ( or wine or soft drink ) £8.50 - we all had burgers , they were delicious , it's free pool until 5 pm and they let us play on a bit after that. Loved the sunken hammocks in the garden . Great value for money .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Poor all round, breakfast horrible, greasy - I could not eat much of it, toilet floor wet, some sort of leak.

Kettle would not switch off, scalded my hand when I went near the on/off switch.

Gardens full of weeds, generally uncared for.

I am embarrassed, being a Scot, that this sort of place is serving up for our tourists...

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I booked 2 rooms at this place for 2 nights after reading the reviews and stupidly believing the one which said " Don't believe the negative reviews- some people are just grumpy". Sometimes that's true and I was prepared to give it a chance. What a mistake- Yes the place is 'Tired' - no provision to hang wet towels or clothes in the bathroom, a double bed which is tight to the wall for half its length,wallpaper peeling off the walls,breakfast which was sodden with grease. All that I could have lived with but we booked the rooms in order to sleep in them and that was not possible until the live music ended at 12.36am. We turned in at 10.30pm tired from travelling and could not believe how loud the music was. We kept thinking ok it will stop at 11pm, 11.30, 12.00 and 12.30. Just as I was about to dress to sort things out the live music stopped and recorded music played for another 15 minutes.
The next morning we checked out , wrestled a refund of the second night from the manager ( could that explain why he needed payment in full the night before?) and moved further along the street where the food quality was better , the rooms were as hotel rooms should be and their live music could not be heard in the rooms.
Best of all, the manager was totally indignant, never once did he apologise. The refund only came more promptly when I pointed out that his manner could cause things to become nasty if it continued.
I must question the positive reviews - yes people have different standards and expectations but folks I have travelled around Scotland : Perthshire, Fort William , Skye, Harris and Lewis a lot during the past 2 weeks and it is easily possible to get much better quality than this place for the same outlay or even less.

Room Tip: Try other hotels to the left or right of this one