“Perfect place to stay in Aviemore”

and 1 more site!
Silverglades Holiday Homes
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I have just returned from a great week at Silverglades with my husband and 1 year old son. We didn't expect much but were really pleasantly surprised by this accommodation. We stayed in a very clean, modern 1 bedroom property located in a quiet cul de sac with it's own parking space, which was more than adequate for my small family. It was 4 star, recently decorated with a well equipped kitchen, comfy bed, lovely bathroom with underfloor heating and comfy lounge/dining area. The views from the front window were beautiful over towards the Cairngorms, and at the back of the property we had a nice wee garden with a picnic table, clothes line and bbq, and a great view of the Strathspey Steam Railway passing by which my son loved.

Silverglades is at the edge of town, but a path from the estate takes you in to the centre of the village in less than 10 minutes, and it's a very pleasant walk through trees and past fields with view of the mountains - probably best to take a torch for the walk back at night though!

The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars was because on our penultimate night a hen party arrived taking up several of the properties on the street, running between the houses and making a fair bit of noise - I have no problem with hen parties, but I didn't think that this was the right location for that as it is very quiet and family orientated.

There is so much to do in the area, we had a fantastic week. Staff at Silverglades were very helpful and solved any issues very quickly (for example our Sky box wasn't working when we arrived and they were round in less than 30 min to sort it). We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Glitterball2000
silvergladesllp, Public Relations Manager at Silverglades Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Thank you for your review,We love to hear from our guests and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.I have noted you comment about the hen party and we tend only to get a very few each year and I am sorry that this hen partie was during your stay.We look forward to your next stay with us at Silverglades.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

Took my husband and 2 daughters (age 5&2) away for a weekend escape to Aviemore staying at Silverglades. Stayed in the Osprey Superior and cant fault it. Good clean accommodation, the renovations have been well done and the place is well kitted out.
Been here a couple of times before in the un-renovated bungalows and they too are perfectly functional but the decor is just a bit more out of date.
The location is great too. When you drive there, it feels like it is a bit out of the way but there is a little path that takes you into Aviemore centre in 5 mins walk (5 mins when you are chasing 2 kids on scooters).
We used the silverglades discount card to get discounted access to the Macdonald resort leisure centre which the kids loved. The card could be used in loads of restaurants & activity centres too.
My only disappointment was when I realised that if I had booked a bit later I could have got a discounted price as part of their March madness deal. (I booked 6 weeks in advance.)
With young kids, staying in a hotel can be tricky when they go to bed at 8, but here, we put the kids to bed and then cracked open the wine in the living room.
Definitely will come back,

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have stayed twice with silverglades with my family and intend to go back this easter.

I stayed in the "Macdui" which has two bedrooms (and a sofa bed) and is more spacious than the "osprey". There was four of us and there was enough cutlery and amenities for all of us. The house had been re-decorated in 2009 and it was very clean. Both bathrooms (one en-suite) had under floor heating which was a nice touch in the middle of the night!
Later my grandparents who are in their 80's joined us and we still felt there was enough space and amenities and they found it very comfortable. The back garden of the house is huge and the area is quiet and relaxed without being isolated and theres excellent views of the mountains from the front of the house.

The aviemore town is just a 10min walk away down a sideroad.

As for activities theres something for everyone as all of my family from age 11 to 81 found somthing to do. Theres pony trekking, hill walking accross any level with extrodinary views of the cairngorms mountains, bike hire, rock climbing, fishing,several assult courses (one high in the trees and one across a river!) gore walking, pot making, 4x4 of road driving, skiing and snowboarding the list goes on and on.

I would reccomend booking an activitie with rothiemurchus, extreme dream or glenmore lodge - look up their websites.

All in all its a great place for all espcially those who like the outdoors and activites. The prices are ok but its worth it for the four star accommodation (theres also 3 star accommodation for a cheaper price).

Theres not a better self catering place to stay in aviremore.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JenWhite
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Stayed in the Eagle Lodge (175 Dalnabay) in early November 2010. The purpose of the trip was, as titled above a jolly boys weekend, somewhat akin to a stag / hen trip with 10 adults total.

We had booked another '4 star' accomodation in the Silverglades property but were 'upgraded' to this property at 175 Dalnabay. Some of our party had stayed at the other eagle class property of the site. The difference being 175 is two (small) semi detached houses knocked into one. This does not have the character of a large style bungalow. There are four small bedrooms and a couch bed. The bedrooms are just not big enough. On the flip side the new living room/ kitchen is very large but for the most part it is wasted space. Bigger bedrooms and another toilet (Three total but only one which was not en-suite) would have came in handy. On the plus side the sauna was put to good use.

The location of this property is ideal, at least in a sense. It is a short walk into the centre of town via a footpath (it is unlit at night and partly runs alongside a small river). The downside to this is because of the road layout a much longer journey is required. A taxi ride is roughly £10, each way.

There are a couple more downsides here and worth taking note of. Although advertised as a 10 sleeper it does not have enough essentials to carry this off. There are not enough cups, glasses, knives, forks, plates, pots, pans etc to support a party of 10. There was not enough toilet roll or any complimentary soaps, shampoos or even washing up liquid (remember this is an expensive property and is supposedly 4 star whatever that is). Didnt even have any salt or pepper. There is also no spare bedding of any kind and one set of bedding had no covers. The property has one TV.

This all sounds a bit doom and gloom and I don't really mean it to be it just that for such an expensive property is was a bit of a let down. It struggles to cope with its advertised capacity. I would not recommend this for a family stay. And as for stag / hen parties I guess it will just about do. There is however, better value to be had elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My family and I recently stayed in Silverglades for my unkle's 50th birthday bash. We had a range of ages from 9 to 85 with us. We stayed in an Eagle Lodge and a Cairngorm which had ample space. The houses were situated well within walking distance to the main street in Aviemore which was good. On the down side we felt the knives were not so good and pots and pans were not adequate for cooking en mass in the larger house. The electricity WAS SO EXPENSIVE and we got a shock when we were advised about the cost. The houses are expensive enough without electric being added as an extra! Who does that in this day in age? Also, if you break any items in the house THEY ARE EXTORTIONATE as well! If you are taking kids please take plastic cups.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

just dreadful

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank ELOHIM777
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed at Silverglases in August in a 4 star select property. Having checked the internet I obtained a price for the stay however when I telephoned to enquire the price rose by £30. I was also under the impression that electricity was included as per the silverglades website but later informed that this is not the case and that the money is taken from your £50 deposit.

Although it does state on the website that you have access to Dalfaber Golf and country club you have to pay for swimming etc although I do believe you get 10% discount on meals. Overall a nice break but slightly disappointed with some elements of the forgoing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank craigwScotland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge
Macdonald Lochanhully Woodland Club
Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club

Been to Silverglades Holiday Homes? Share your experiences!