“Macdonald Spey Valley Golf and Country Club”

and 1 more site!
Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Purchased a week pass from our house we were staying in. Excellent value I had 4 children with me and the reception staff, entertainment staff, restaurant staff all excellent, could not do enough for us, the children loved the entertainment, well worth the money. The pool also was excellent we were in every morning at 9.00 am towels provided just leave a returnable deposit, key for a locker, 3 hot showers all with shampoo, shower wash. Could not fault the place, Daughter and son-in-law used the sauna no problems. Cleanliness in this place was superior, always a cleaner form early morning till late evening, spotless.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Patsy W

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We have been staying in Aviemore this week just round the corner from this place. I decided to take my daughter for a swim. Arrived at 1pm to be informed I could buy a day pass at 2pm as pool was being cleaned. Fair enough. We went to bar area and I ordered 2 glasses of coke and 2 packets of crisps. The bill came to £6.60!!. At 2pm went to reception and I got a day pass for 1 adult and 1 child for £15. In changing rooms 1 cubicle. Plenty of cold showers. The shampoo containers didnt work. We had a nice time in pool. Sauna was pitch black. Couldnt see a thing! In conclusion I just want to warn people if you are not staying at this place AVOID!!!! Total rip off!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont go!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank jillian b
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed with my wife and young son in a Cairngorm Villa for 4 nights. A bit of astute googling produced a very attractive rate and I was delighted with the holiday overall.

The villa was clean and fitted out to a high standard. 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and accomodation over 2 floors with a conservatory.

The staff were friendly and the pool was a big hit with my son. Generally, the resort was very family friendly.

Aviemore itself is a great base for all kinds of outdoor pastimes and the centre is just over 1 mile from the Spey Valley resort.

Overall, a great place for a family holiday.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammer1969
gm_speyvalley, General Manager at Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review, I was delighted to read that you found Cairngorm Villa 4 clean and fitted to a high standard.

I will pass your kind words about our friendly staff to the rest of my team, I am happy that you enjoyed our family friendly resort.

I would like to wish you all the best and will look forward to welcoming you back at Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was the first time away for xmas, since our Son is now 13 - ok to go away. We stayed in chalet 21 which was very clean and modern. Which also has been adapted for disabled access. Plenty of kitchen utensils. The chalet took no time to heat up with the electric heaters. Which cost 38 for the week. Just a short walk to the reception and facilities. We used the pool numerous times - pool and changing area clean. You sign in and you give over your towel token, get back when towel returned to reception. £1 refundable deposit for lockers. Food not worth what you pay for it. We done the 6.00 meal offer, which is what the meal is worth not the full price. Lounge area was nice. All staff were pleasant. In walking distance on your right hand side there is a small supermarket, chip shop and pizza restaurant. Also a bike hire shop. We all really enjoyed ourselves and would do this again. What we paid for the week was really good compared to other places when looking. well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David A
gm_speyvalley, General Manager at Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such an encouraging review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, I will share this with the rest of my team.

It is good that you enjoyed your meal at the Scottish Steak Club. The Super Six offer is a very popular choice. Our prices reflect the quality of the ingredients that we use from premium Scottish suppliers. We only use the best products which cannot be compared to other establishments in the area and we are proud that we are able to offer a high level of service.

I hope to see you again in the future and together with my staff will be happy to offer you another delightful holiday.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My family have been going here since before I was born and every year since . As children me and my brother loved going its a great holiday for children. Me and my husband now go with our daughter and the rest of my family. we love it and we can take our dogs too. over all great place to go everyones friendly and the service is good too.

Room Tip: when choosing where to stay in our opinion the houses are the best :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed the resort at Dalfaber for so many years and keep coming back with your own family. I hope this continues for many years to come.

I am glad this year's holiday was a success and I will look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Visited for 4 nights in March. Weather was lovely which was a bonus. Stayed in a wooden chalet, very well equipped for a small break and could take the dog also. The staff were friendly on arrival. Used the pool once but should have went more as it was very nice as was the bar area. No issues with the electricity at all, if worried take a note of the reading when you get there. Would go back :) Got a courtesy visit on second day asking if everything was okay; the chalet we were in is part of a timeshare and is due to be decorated shortly, so would make chalet even nicer.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your short break with us and that you enjoyed the use of our facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back so you can enjoy them even more.

We were also glad that you found our customer service at a high standard and this is something we are constantly striving to improve.

We would like to wish you all the best.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Before booking i had read mixed reviews and thought that some of the poor rating were perhaps exaggerated. Not really to be.
I was looking for somewhere we could take our 6 month old dog and when i enquired at Macdonald Highland Resort they advised me that Spey Valley took dogs.
My wife and i stayed with our two children, 5 and 7 years old in a wooden chalet. Reception staff were very vague when we arrived and gave our name when looking at their list of bookings and then advised us that the chalet would be ready in about half an hour as we were a little early which was fair enough. We collected our keys and were advised that they had problems with the TV signal and that the engineer would be back on site on Monday. This was Saturday and we were only staying until Tuesday so not a great start. Our TV signal ended up not to bad for the first two nights and then we had nothing on the third. Not really what you want when you have two young children going to bed at 8-9pm.
Within about 30 seconds of entering the chalet our dog came out from under one of the beds with a disgusting dirty tissue in his mouth. The following day i pulled a smaller table out in the living area that slides under the larger one for it to be covered in dust. When packing for our departure and looking around for anything left, a packet of tissues was under the couch. Not ours! Most of the glasses in the kitchen also needed washed before using them, and although we only cooked breakfast, as did the frying pan from the cupboard which was still greasy with food residue around the sides.
The cleanliness of the chalet really was really not good and although i have never stayed at a Macdonald resort before, its not what i would have expected from them.
When out walking our dog around the grounds, there is quite a bit of dog mess about the grass. There is actually quite a substantial number of bins for dog poo which is good but obviously not everyone uses them.
The small lesuire centre is actually pretty good, a nice little pool and lovely and warm although we only visited it once.
Snacks quite pricey in the bar area and they were not as described on the menu and as a result we only had the snacks on arrival while we waited for our chalet getting ready. There are plenty of places to eat in nearby Aviemore although it really is a drive away or a 20-30 min walk.
I was going to mention most of these issues when checking out but wasn't even asked if everything was ok during our stay so i just filled in the customer survey if it does any good. Oh and we were charged £40 for electricity for 3 nights which i did query. i was advised i could go back to the chalet and check the meter numbers. Didn't think there was much point as i did not know what it was at to start with. I asked if that was normal and was told it was quite high but is possible if the heaters were used a lot. It was February!!
Our following 3 nights where we stayed at a Perthshire resort (not Macdonald) was amazing and literally could not fault the place. Just as well we never went there first.
I think i have ranted enough but we certainly wont be rushing back to Spey Valley. The place really needs a good shake up.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Alistair W

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your holiday did not meet your expectations and that you found our housekeeping standards low. I will personally pass this on to my housekeeping team. Please, be assured that we are working to deliver the best standards and it is disappointing to hear that we did not meet them on this occasion.

Please accept my apologies for the issues with TV reception - this problem has now been rectified and I hope that it did not have too big an impact on you stay with us.

Our reception team is always ready to offer help and great hospitality, I am disappointed that you felt that this has not been provided to you.

It is vital that we are told when something is not right so we can rectify it as soon as possible. Please, be advised that we appreciate all the feedback that we feceive from our guests and we always learn from it.

If you wish to discuss your electricity charges further, please contact the resort and I will be happy to assist you with any queries. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback as it will be a great tool for us to use to improve our service.

I would like to wish you all the best and hopefully will heve the pleasure to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club.

General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
#1 of 11 in Aviemore
The Boat Hotel
The Boat Hotel
#1 of 1 in Boat of Garten

Been to Macdonald Spey Valley Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!