“Genuine Scottish Guest House - Great for Cyclists”

Glenan Lodge Guest House
Ranked #17 of 29 Aviemore B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Due to a hiccup in my route (it was 15 miles longer than I thought) and a puncture, I arrived late at Glenan Lodge. Thankfully Lesley and Rob, the hosts, were very accommodating, especially as I had pre-ordered an evening meal.

Rob took care of my bike and put it in a sheltered area at the back of the property whilst Lesley showed me to my room. After a quick brush up I entered the spacious dining room where I was served a superb evening meal. It was exactly what I needed after 130 miles in the saddle - although I have to say a fantastic 130 miles (with a few miles of exception), especially once in the Highlands proper.

The en-suite room was warm, clean and well presented. A good distance from any road of note it was extremely quiet leading to a deep sleep.

I had to set out very early the next morning to give me a chance of making the 140 miles to John O'Groats in daylight (which I just managed to do). So, sadly, I was unable to try the full breakfast menu but Rob was gracious enough get up and make sure I was sorted with plenty of muesli and fruit juice and to see me on my way. I am sure the cooked breakfast would have been excellent, if it was anything like the meal the evening before.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Glenan Lodge Guest House

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I only stayed for one night, but had a wonderful experience at the Glenan Lodge. It's a bit far from the town center, approximately 25 miles. If you want to a peaceful, heartwarming experience this is the place to stay. The proprietors, Lesley and Rob were really accommodating with home-made food and a wonderful story to share. The room we stayed in had a lovely view of the hillside complete with en suite bathroom and nice, comfortable bed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I did a motorbike tour in August 2013 and stayed in various guesthouses & B&B's all over Scotland. Glenan Lodge is by far the best of them by a country mile. The owner operated guest house is well run, its clean, cosey and very very comfortable. Lesley and Rob made us feel very welcome and could not do enough to make our stay a great experience. The cooked breakfasts were superb. The accomodation is excellent with all the normal facilities you would expect. I really could not recommend this place enough - so weather you are on a touring holdiay, a shooting (grouse) trip, a skiing holiday or are just looking for a place to book if you are planning a country break I would go here. We give it 10 out of 10 - Anytime. Check it out on Google..

Room Tip: Book early as it is a very popular spot
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

nice room and food so why were me and my two walking friends so keen to get out of the place after our one night stay. It was because the lady of the house was so unwelcoming. I have stayed in more basic accommodation but I always judge a place on the welcome of the host.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank edwardsamuelthomas
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed at Glenan Lodge for 3 nights in May 2013. Lesley & Rob are great hosts making sure you enjoy your stay with them. Breakfast was individually cooked and served between 8 & 9 am with a choice of cereal, juice, tea/coffee and either kippers or a cooked breakfast. Lesley's evening meals were all 'home made,' and absolutely delicious. My husband and I had the family room which was very spacious and had a nice en-suite. There were tea/coffee facilities available in the room. Our son & daughter shared a twin room with the same facilities as ours. The Lodge is set in a very quiet area of Tomatin making it ideal to visit all the surrounding places. Rob gave us advice on how to see the red deer in the area, approx 10 miles from the Lodge. We would definately go back for another holiday. Excellant Holiday. Thanks

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I decided to stay here for three nights rather than more run of the mill accommodation in town up in Inverness further north. We were very glad we stayed here. It is a wonderfully hidden location, nice big rooms, very friendly but not too 'in your face' hosts, Nice games room etc. Wonderful breakfasts each morning. A little hard to find but once we got here we were very happy for two three nights. TVs in rooms could be a little bigger, but not an issue really. Used the place as a base for hiking in the nearby Carnigorms and for a day trip to Loch Ness. and its handy for ticking off a whiskey distilliry tour as it is located behind one! Would definitely come back when next over from Australia.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay H
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This B&B has two entries here - under Aviemore and Inverness. Its half way between. Lesley and Rob made us very welcome here for 4 days. Our room (5) was a good size with a large bathroom. We had a view out of the back and every morning we saw either one or two RED squirrels out of it. Breakfast is individually cooked from fresh local ingredients and you have a choice of cereal/fruit as well. This is the reason you may be asked to nominate a time. Evening meals are available most days. It is usually a set 3 course meal at 7.30pm which you either book before you arrive or at breakfast. Beautiful food, well presented and all home made. Wine available at a little over £10 a bottle. If Lesley has enough eggs she even makes her own ice cream. Always interested in what you are you doing she also advises on where to go and what to see. Best entry is through the Tomatin distillery - do visit. Free wi-fi in lounge, dining room and some bedrooms including ours.

Room Tip: Room 5 has view of pine trees and red squirrels and wi-fi reaches it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple