“Absolutely fantastic!”
Review of Pine Bank Chalets

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aviemore
Pine Bank Chalets
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This place is the perfect base for taking in the delights of Aviemore. The location feels like you are deep in the forest, even though you are a mere 5 minutes walk from the train station. We stayed in the Fintry Lodge which has just had a beautiful wood burning stove installed. The weather was pretty dreary on our stay but we felt cosy, warm and comforted at all times in our beautiful lodge. The lodge is extremely well equipped with everything you would need for a self catering holiday. I hardly ever cook at home but I was inspired to do so in the lovely setting of the lodge. We ate out at a few yummy places such as the Super Panther cafe ( excellent menu and still very sad I didnt get to try the pulled pork as there wasn't enough time) and we received a 10% discount due to staying at Pine Bank which was an added bonus. Everything in the main town is in walking distance and there is a great Inn right next door where you can play board games in the warmth of the open fire. My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer! Whether you want a relaxing break or a thrilling adventure holiday (ours was the former), this place would certainly make a good choice!

Room Tip: Pick the Fintry Lodge for the excellent wood burning stove... who would think you could get too hot...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here over new year and had to pay over £500 for three nights, when we got to the chalet there was no hot water and the chalet looked like it had barely been cleaned, the bedrooms were dusty, the sofas were stained and the microwave was filthy. The cold water tap in the kitchen didn't work and we had no cold water in the kitchen. Also, one of the windows in a bedroom did not close, which in December is not great! The bathroom door also did not lock. I phoned reception to tell them of these issues and spoke to someone who said that they would look into the problems and get back to us, no one ever did. We also had a lot of problems with the kitchen, the grill did not work properly and when we tried to cook a meal on new years day after cooking everything in the oven for nearly 2 hours the food was still cold in the middle. If you are spending money on staying somewhere with a kitchen you are obviously going to want to be able to use the facilities available. I feel that the fact that we were told that someone would look into our issues and then never got back to us makes matters worse, I think if someone had given us a ring back or called in to apologise for the problems then we would have been happier. I complained when I handed the key back in, the manager sent me an email which basically denied that there were any problems. I think that if you are charging this much for accommodation then everything should be in top condition. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SImonH801, Manager at Pine Bank Chalets, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
It is a shame that you left with a negative impression of the chalets, as our reviews show this is very rare.
We'd like to take the opportunity to respond to your review as it sheds a very different light to how you were when you stayed with us. The supposed issue of cleanliness was not mentioned at all during your stay and when we spoke about the hot water (which was working, a switch for the electric immersion had to be turned on), hinge and tap, none of these, I quote "bothered us, just wanted to let you know". The grill and oven were fully functional when checked. It is a shame that the response from you has been to 'threaten' us with a negative review to try to get some money off your holiday.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went with my wife , daughter and son-in-law at the end of November for a 4 night stay with our 3 dogs. The Chalet was perfect, cosy nice and warm. The facilities were great, good kitchen facilities and ample room for all of us. Excellent pub a 200 yard walk away and an easy stroll to the village for all our food needs. I needed to print a voucher to gain access to a local attraction and the staff were only to happy to allow me to use the office to do this.

As far as value for money is concerned it cannot be faulted. The accommodation was very clean as was bedding linen etc. It was probably the best 4 nights sleep I have had for a very long time.

We are already thinking about returning in June to enjoy some summer sun.

Would recommend the Chalets to anyone thinking of going to the Scottish Highlands especially as they are dog friendly. No complaints, excellent overall.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We booked Cairntoul chalet (sleeps 2) late on in December, for a stay early in January - we were lucky there was still availability at such a nice place! We arrived feeling harassed following a testing drive to Aviemore which included a broken down car, and terrible weather. There was no-one at reception, however when I went up to the door to see if there was a phone number to call, there was our key in an envelope waiting for us. Perfect.
We made our way to the cabin and we were absolutely delighted with what we found. The immaculate accommodation comprised of a toilet/shower room, a cosy double bedroom with a really comfy bed and loads of storage room, a well appointed kitchen and large living area with TV and floor to ceiling window at one end - much more entertaining to look at than the telly (during the day at least!). Although already spacious, the high ceilings throughout the chalet made it feel even more so, and the pine panelling throughout made it feel positively alpine!
On the coffee table, there was a little welcome folder which was really useful and provided lots of information about the chalet, and also the local area and available activities. One of my biggest annoyances when it comes to self-catering accommodation is the endless list of 'don'ts' that you're usually met with on arrival. I'm a grown up, and I have a fairly good grasp of what is acceptable, and what isn't - and luckily the owners of Pine Bank Chalets are happy to advise of all the things that we can do, rather than focus on a big long list of what we can't - most refreshing!
I should also mention that the kitchen is very well stocked - again, from experience, I usually take my own tea towel, kitchen roll, washing up liquid, sharp knife etc because they're usually lacking. But not here, everything we needed was provided including washing up liquid, salt/pepper etc.
We only stayed for two nights, and it wasn't nearly long enough for a stay in such comfortable, cosy surroundings. We'll definitely be back for a longer stay, hopefully in the summer when the short walk into town is a little less bracing!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We're delighted that you had such a good stay with us at Pine Bank and found the accommodation to be everything that you were looking for. We do our best to ensure that guests have everything that they need for a self catering stay with us and are continually looking to improve our accommodation and facilities. Great to hear that we're doing a good job! Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

After a horrendous journey through floods in England to snow blizzards in Scotland we made it to Pine Bank Chalets and were so happy to see our cabin was just as we hoped- covered in snow, absolutely gorgeous. The receptionist wasn't the friendliest but the owner is and came and checked on us while we were there even though it was Christmas. We stayed in Fintry which has been newly refurbished- the beds are to die for, it is very clean and the décor is pleasant. It was the perfect size for us- a family of four and a dog. The setting is rural yet very close to all the amenities. Just a 5 minute walk into town which has everything you need and a 10 minute drive to Cairngorm Mountain where we went skiing- great place with amazing views. Also lose to Loch Morlich- amazing and a nature reserve. The only downside is the amount of 'rules' there are around the chalet in terms of how we should look after the chalet- felt a bit like being at school.

Room Tip: Fintry is wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for the positive review, we had just completed the refurbishment of Fintry and had the wood burning stove installed so it's great to hear that this is a welcome addition to the chalet. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us over Christmas and do hope that we will see you again in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

As a regular visitor to Aviemore I was looking forward to the "good quality" accommodation promised on the Pine banks website. I was soon to be disappointed. Arriving at Pine Bank Chalets was like a journey back in time - cheap flatpack furniture, stained sofas, poorly lit access, ineffective shower, limited towels (which you were charged for). The place was also filthy - questionable stains on the linen and we even found toenail clippings on the carpet.

The only positive aspect of staying at Pine Bank is its proximity to the Old Bridge Inn where you can take your mind off your nights stay through a couple of pints and a game of dominoes.

How they can justify charging such astronomical prices for less than mediocre accommodation is beyond me. The backpackers hostel a stones throw away offers better value.

Visited with family in September 2013 and will never return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SuperPanther A, Manager at Pine Bank Chalets, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you felt the accommodation fell short of your expectations - as depicted by our reviews on this site this is very much an isolated case. It is a shame that you did not come to see us about any issues with cleanliness as we would of course have rectified this immediately. If we are unaware of a problem then it is very hard for us to address it.

With regards value for money, again I am sorry you felt this didn't fit the bill. I believe that this review is from the same group as the one below - £400 for the stay gives no context - it was in fact for a group of 6 which equates to c. £22 per person per night. I appreciated that if there were issues with cleanliness that this is unacceptable but had you made us aware of any issues we would of course have addressed them right away.

I will work with housekeeping to ensure that standards are improved where necessary.

Kind regards

Simon
Reviewed October 1, 2013

From the moment we were met by the surly receptionist to 3 days later when we happily left this place,it was a shambles.The most overpriced hut ever.£400 for 3 nights and the nerve to charge us for towels.Dirty inside,double bed to small for 2 and don't forget light bulbs so you don't fall outside when dark.
Shower that is a dribble with dirty furniture. 1 star accomadation at 4 star prices

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
As above (I believe this to be the same group) I am very sorry that you felt that we fell short of expectations, a very isolated case.

Our double beds are all standard doubles (4 foot 6) not small doubles. We are a self catering business and it is stated that towels are not provided - we do offer them as a convenience for a very small charge to cover laundry and have never had a complaint to date about this policy.

The cost here gives no context - as a group of 6 over 3 nights, £400 equates to c. £22 per person per night.

Thank you for making your points to us and where applicable we will address any issues that we can that you have raised

Kind regards