“Felt like being back at camp!”

Aviemore Youth Hostel
Reviewed December 15, 2013

As for the title - I think that is a good thing! With the sort of outdoor wonderland that Aviemore is, the more camp-like the experience, the better I think. I was here on probably the slowest season - before the ski crowds show up but well after the summer revelers have left. As a result, it is possible I enjoyed this hostel more than I would have in busier times of year. I showed up very late (I am pretty sure I emailed someone about my arrival time, but with staff changeover, who knows if that bit of info ever got to the guy who happened to be working that day) and at first walked in the wrong direction after getting off my bus from Aberdeen. This was a bit of fortuitousness though as it brought me to a Tesco where I was able to pick up a bit of dinner and ask for directions - the Tesco was only open for another half hour so good timing! A short, chilly walk to the hostel brought me to a walkway in full view of a very spacious lounge area with massive windows on the front of the hostel. One guy leapt up from the couch and dashed to the reception - I guess they really were waiting for me!

The fellow who checked me in was a bit scatterbrained, but he admitted as much and it was more amusing than anything. I had to prompt him for things like curfews, kitchen location etc. I saw a couple other people sitting in the lounge reading (there was a TV in here, pool tables, games, sofas, tables, and a take-a-book-leave-a-book shelf). There was another lounge area by reception with more tables, chairs, sofas, and tucked in the corner, an internet station that I didn't notice until my last morning. That's fine, who wants to waste time online in a place like this?? I did not use the kitchen aside from borrowing a fork but it was MASSIVE, clearly able to accommodate large amounts of people in peak season. They had a variety of things for sale too - porridge, coffee, snacks.

I booked a dorm room but I was the only one staying in it for the first 2 nights, so that was awesome. I wouldn't look forward to that situation any other time of year! My last night I had a single roomate who kept to herself, so that was still fine. The point someone made about the doors is valid - you need two hands to open the door (one to turn the spring-loaded key, the other to turn the spring-loaded doorknob) so it is handy to bring a bag or something if you are carting things back and forth from the shower, and they shut with significant abruptness that would wake the whole room if there was anyone else in it. There is also a hall light that was just outside the room and a window above the door so it was pretty bright in there the whole time.

The rooms were reasonably clean. The halls are a bit dingy (even tho they have a big mudroom out front and ask you to take your outdoor shoes off before coming inside) and none of the floors are even so step high! There is a sink and mirror in the room, but sinks in the shower and toilet rooms as well. Toilets are separate from showers, which is good, and the showers are in 2-curtain stalls so you can keep your clothes dry but still have privacy. The showers operate on a push-button sequence, so you get about 20-30 seconds of water before you have to push the button again. The shower stream is lovely and strong and hot though. I encountered one shower that had a drain so clogged I feared it would overflow, and the next night there was somewhat inexplicably an earthworm wriggling in the bottom of the shower..?? Not sure if someone tracked it in or if it came up the drain.

That aforementioned front mudroom is good, i imagine, in winter - there are cubbyholes so I guess you can exchange your mucky outside boots for indoor shoes or slippers in your own little cubby. The rooms have no lockers for your valuables - just a coat closet to hang things up. The front yard of the place has tons of bird feeders, and there are birds and bunnies all over the place. The property backs onto a nice little nature reserve as well which is great for a morning walk - lots of evidence of deer. It is on the edge of town, but it is a small town and easy to walk to anything - the charter bus stop, train station, bus stop for the mountains, pubs, sports rental shops, sports guiding companies, the cinema and bowling alley (!!), and the wonderful attractions in Rothiemurchus.

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel and would happily return here.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Shoogs80
There are newer reviews for Aviemore Youth Hostel

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have used a number of Scottish Youth Hostels as an overnight stop-off while driving up north, We had some last minute changes to be made with respect to the reservation. The staff were very helpful & sorted everything out for us.
We went out for dinner and a couple of drinks then cam back to the youth hostel for a few games of cards & a wee dram.
All very relaxing & enjoyable.
The only negative comment we would have is that the room was a little bit musty but opening the door & window for an hour cleared it out.
We would definitely stop off there again.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment - this is a busy and popular youth hostel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night and it was both mine and my husbands first experience in a hostel.
It was hard to find and if you blink you will miss the small signpost at the entrance to the drive, but is in a prime location set in lovely surroundings.
We received a warm welcome on arrival and our room was spotless, the lounge was big and homely, the kitchen WC and shower rooms were in good repair and clean . We enjoyed our stay here very much and have no complaints

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is probably the worst place I slept the last years!

The rooms are basic (but that's not a problem in a Youthhostel). Toilets and showers are basic and shared. In our room we could hear the water all the time.
The doors close and open very difficult. Everytime somebodie opens or closes the door everybode is awake.
The wifi is expensive: 1 pound for 20 minutes!
rules: no alcohol, places for minor 16 and plus 16, no entrance after 2 pm, kitchen closed from 11 - 14 u., blablabla
the kitchen and the dining room are comfortable!
Some staff are helpfull.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank stevenenhilde
Heather F, Manager at Aviemore Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Stevenenhilde,
Thank you for your recent review of Aviemore YH. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your experience.
I am, however, concerned at what I can only presume to be a break down in communications. Alcohol is indeed permitted in the hostel, however we do not sell it. We do, on occasion, ask guests to sit in a certain area of the hostel, however this is only when we have groups of young children staying and if their leaders ask for this. As a family friendly youth hostel, it is so important that we consider all our guests.
I am also confused regarding your comment about certain age groups being designated areas of the hostel. This is not the case, all guests are welcome in all public areas of the hostel.
The kitchen and dining room does need to be cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis, which is the reason we close it, however most days it is open by midday and so I can only apologise that this did not seem to be the case when you stayed.
As we are a charity, which receives no government funding, we rely on donations to fund our hostels. In charging for services such as WiFi it allows us to continue charging discounted bed prices throughout our entire network.
I would be most grateful if you could take the time to e-mail me at cairngormgroupmanager@syha.org.uk with more details regarding your stay and to enable me to investigate further. I assure you it is never our intention to disappoint our guests.
Kind regards
Heather Fraser
Cairngorm Group Manager

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I loved this hostel so much! People who work there are so friendly! From there, it's easy to join the station, the old steam railway, the city centre, but it is in the middle of a quiet place, with lots of lovely, cute, furry and jumpin' rabbits ^_^

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I came here having after staying at the bunkhouse then going out to a bothy for 3 nights. The bunkhouse wouldn't let me check in till 4 and as it had not been great and rather lacking in atmosphere (read empty) I decided to decamp to get a much needed shower and dry some gear. It has a great communal lounge looking out over lawns in a peaceful location. Everyone was friendly and accommodating and the room/bunks were fine. Kitchen was adequate but having 2 fridges out of order is unacceptable

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I took a single room in the Youth Hostel so I could spread out kit to dry and not have to worry about disturbing others. I was suprised how quiet the hostel was on a Saturday in mid-May and enjoyed a very restful stay. Everything is a little bit drab and basic and the single room perhaps doesn't represent the best value for money but I was happy with my stay. The corridor lights outside my room were a bit temperamental and the shower temperature control didn't seem too keen to work. Otherwise though it met my expectations, providing a good place to dry out and easy access to the pubs in Aviemore and for continuing my journey the next day.

Room Tip: The Single Room had a bunk bed, wardrobe and a sink so there was plenty of space for me to spread ou...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo