“Friendly & Flexible”

Aviemore Youth Hostel
Northumberland
“Friendly & Flexible”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have used a number of Scottish Youth Hostels as an overnight stop-off while driving up north, We had some last minute changes to be made with respect to the reservation. The staff were very helpful & sorted everything out for us.
We went out for dinner and a couple of drinks then cam back to the youth hostel for a few games of cards & a wee dram.
All very relaxing & enjoyable.
The only negative comment we would have is that the room was a little bit musty but opening the door & window for an hour cleared it out.
We would definitely stop off there again.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment - this is a busy and popular youth hostel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Penicuik, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night and it was both mine and my husbands first experience in a hostel.
It was hard to find and if you blink you will miss the small signpost at the entrance to the drive, but is in a prime location set in lovely surroundings.
We received a warm welcome on arrival and our room was spotless, the lounge was big and homely, the kitchen WC and shower rooms were in good repair and clean . We enjoyed our stay here very much and have no complaints

• Stayed August 2013
Antwerp, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is probably the worst place I slept the last years!

The rooms are basic (but that's not a problem in a Youthhostel). Toilets and showers are basic and shared. In our room we could hear the water all the time.
The doors close and open very difficult. Everytime somebodie opens or closes the door everybode is awake.
The wifi is expensive: 1 pound for 20 minutes!
rules: no alcohol, places for minor 16 and plus 16, no entrance after 2 pm, kitchen closed from 11 - 14 u., blablabla
the kitchen and the dining room are comfortable!
Some staff are helpfull.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank stevenenhilde
Heather F, Manager at Aviemore Youth Hostel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Stevenenhilde,
Thank you for your recent review of Aviemore YH. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your experience.
I am, however, concerned at what I can only presume to be a break down in communications. Alcohol is indeed permitted in the hostel, however we do not sell it. We do, on occasion, ask guests to sit in a certain area of the hostel, however this is only when we have groups of young children staying and if their leaders ask for this. As a family friendly youth hostel, it is so important that we consider all our guests.
I am also confused regarding your comment about certain age groups being designated areas of the hostel. This is not the case, all guests are welcome in all public areas of the hostel.
The kitchen and dining room does need to be cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis, which is the reason we close it, however most days it is open by midday and so I can only apologise that this did not seem to be the case when you stayed.
As we are a charity, which receives no government funding, we rely on donations to fund our hostels. In charging for services such as WiFi it allows us to continue charging discounted bed prices throughout our entire network.
I would be most grateful if you could take the time to e-mail me at cairngormgroupmanager@syha.org.uk with more details regarding your stay and to enable me to investigate further. I assure you it is never our intention to disappoint our guests.
Kind regards
Heather Fraser
Cairngorm Group Manager

Travelers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Mandello del Lario, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I loved this hostel so much! People who work there are so friendly! From there, it's easy to join the station, the old steam railway, the city centre, but it is in the middle of a quiet place, with lots of lovely, cute, furry and jumpin' rabbits ^_^

• Stayed July 2013
Cumbria, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I came here having after staying at the bunkhouse then going out to a bothy for 3 nights. The bunkhouse wouldn't let me check in till 4 and as it had not been great and rather lacking in atmosphere (read empty) I decided to decamp to get a much needed shower and dry some gear. It has a great communal lounge looking out over lawns in a peaceful location. Everyone was friendly and accommodating and the room/bunks were fine. Kitchen was adequate but having 2 fridges out of order is unacceptable

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I took a single room in the Youth Hostel so I could spread out kit to dry and not have to worry about disturbing others. I was suprised how quiet the hostel was on a Saturday in mid-May and enjoyed a very restful stay. Everything is a little bit drab and basic and the single room perhaps doesn't represent the best value for money but I was happy with my stay. The corridor lights outside my room were a bit temperamental and the shower temperature control didn't seem too keen to work. Otherwise though it met my expectations, providing a good place to dry out and easy access to the pubs in Aviemore and for continuing my journey the next day.

Room Tip: The Single Room had a bunk bed, wardrobe and a sink so there was plenty of space for me to spread ou...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

a basic youth hostel, ok with the price paid.
4 beds dormitory, still with some squealing beds; calm night though.
Not enough shower though, and bathroom are the least you can get. There is a large common area, with tv and a roughly old pool table with two broken pool sticks :-(
Well that's the night you are ready to have once in a time, but that's it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends