“Big wait, small portions”
Review of The Universal Bar & Kitchen - CLOSED

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My 2 friends and I had a 45 minute wait for our dinner order and when it arrived the portion of haggis, neeps and tatties was so small I thought that we had been served the starter version by mistake. We asked the staff to check, and they simply confirmed that it was the main course. When we pointed out the tiny amount of haggis provided - a circle about 1cm thick and about 8cm wide, the staff basically shrugged, then offered a "comments card that we will provide to the kitchen". Abysmal service and I won't be back.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

my girlfriends and i were looking for somwhere to eat that was quick and not over priced. universal was suggested but as heard mixed reviews wasnt very keen, however, was more than pleasantly surprised. The bar was busy but not uncomfortabley so, we were seated straight away, the staff were friendly and helpful and the music wasnt too loud. the menu was quite extensive and reasonably priced, food was quick and tasty and great value for money (recommend the chicken nachos and the burgers), we will definitely be back..

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Sweet wee pub my two young girls, my wife and myself stumbled across whilst shopping on Buchanan Street - warm, friendly atmosphere from a beautiful old bar with lovely staff who took great care of my family. The food was excellent, great choice and great value! We have been back regularly and have never been disappointed, would highly recommend to anyone looking for a bite to eat or a relaxing drink.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here in the past & been pleased with my meal, but never again.
Service & staff are fine but on ordering traditional fish tea I was presented with fish with thick soggy undercooked batter, the chips were a cross between potato wedges & chips, the bread was thick & un buttered, no pickled onion & the mushy peas were sweet beyond belief. All in all NOT traditional! On commenting to our waitress she smiled & left us to it, not even an apology & certainly no reduction in the bill.
If you want traditional fish tea try the chippy doon the lane as they know how it should be done. Bye bye universal.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Ive had bother with this place before but hoped it had changed when i went in tonight. At first glance i was a bit shocked. For a pub the menu was very expensive. For example macaroni cheese £9 Steak Pie £10 Thai Curry £9.

These are premium prices. In some places premium prices are matched with top quality food and you leave happy but in the Universal this isnt the case.

I was in there a few months ago because my pal was paying the deposit for her wedding and we fancied a wee lunch. Out of around 12 people who ordered id guess ten sent it back. Most were nachos and it was so cold the cheddar had resolidified. I mean it wasnt tepid, it was CHILLED! After sending it back it returned to the table still cold and was sent back again. The bride didnt even get hers back. She wasnt happy!

Tonight i took my family in. We ordered:

Black pudding fritters £5 -cold

Tiger prawns £6- cold (i made prawn cocktail for Christmas dinner this year. The prawns i got tonight were not 'Tiger' they were tiny and about 4p worth out of Iceland. I got literally 5 tiny Iceland prawns. For six quid. And they were COLD!)

Chicken tempura £4- cold

Nachos £6- very cold

Baked potato with prawn marie sauce and red onion £6- no red onion

Some chicken thing my sister ordered with skinny fries £10- no skinny fries. Wedges instead.

Ma nephews kid's chicken goujon thing £6.... LOVELY!

Pint of moretti was soft.

Pint of tennents was flat (sent back)

Replacement Guinness was great.

Something terribly TERRIBLY wrong is going on here. The prices are through the roof for a pub but the quality is absolutely garbage.

I have to say the staff were very apologetic and didnt hesitate to offer a big discount.

Both times i came in the place was deserted. You can see why. Its a shame because it used to be great