“Good authentic italian that won't break the bank”
Review of O Sole Mio

O Sole Mio
Ranked #238 of 2,543 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Have been to this italian restaurant a few times and have never been disappointed. We went on a Tuesday night and the place was fairly empty. Our waitress was attentive and friendly and knew exactly when to approach and we never felt like she was hovering near us. We ordered a calamari fritti for starters and it was fantastic, the calamari was cooked perfectly and the batter was crisp and very light. The girlfriend opted for lasagna and it was a perfect portion, with good quality mozzarella cheese, lots of ragu sauce and tasted great.
I opted for a tuna pizza and it was really good, crisp and proper italian pizza base and with plenty of tomato sauce and cheese. the tuna was a bit salty but was still a great pizza.
The restaurant itself is located just off Buchanan Street and the interior is really nice, it was recently renovated I think and the seating is really comfortable. Overall, go here for a good, inexpensive italian meal.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Took a customer out for meal on Saturday, online booking process was easy and would recommend.
Food quality was good, all starters excellent. I had the veal Milanese, customer had the spicy sausage and lentils which were both excellent, wife had a steak which to be honest was average, lacking veg and only served with a couple of sliced potatoes.
Desserts were top class and the wine excellent as were the very attentive staff, overall an excellent evening let down by an average main course.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ate here and had a lovely fresh cooked meal, very tasty. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Atmosphere very nice. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stopped here for weekend lunch before heading back to the airport. It was Sunday lunchtime, but it wasn't busy, with only two tables occupied when we arrived.

We opted to have the lunchtime deal - two courses for £9.95. My husband had minestrone soup and penne pasta and I had the courgette frittata and the chicken dish. My starter wasn't as hot as I would have liked, but the main meal made up for it, though it would have been nice to have had some vegetables along with my chicken and potato, it would have added a splash of colour on the plate as well. My husband was served focaccia bread along with his soup, but it was stale and not very nice. His bowl of pasta was okay, but nothing to write home about.

Like a previous reviewer found, the portion sizes weren't that big. Adequate for lunch, but I would have been mightily peeved if I'd have been there in the evening.

What really put the tin lid on things for me though was the fact that I didn't get my change from the waitress. Our bill came to £24.40, so we put £25 down. I'm still waiting for the change! We sat until my husband finished his drink, at least another 10 minutes, but nothing came back and I hadn't indicated that they should keep the change. I had looked out a couple of pound coins to add to the tip, but I'm afraid that they went back into my purse.

We won't be back.

1  Thank ScotchMissed
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Looked lovely with open kitchen and the food we ordered did taste lovely but it was more like a menu taster. The bruschetta was tiny, one measly 2cm by 2cm bit of bread with a sprinkling of rocket. The main was a tiny piece of sea bass with a sprinkling if rocket and three tiny boiled potatoes cut in half. Didn't bother with pudding as no point as it would be not worth the money too! Enjoyed our chippy in the way home far more! Could be lovely if it remotely filled you up. Definitely would never go back!