“Lunch menu great food and good value”

Mitchell's South Side
Ranked #335 of 2,543 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Went for lunch with family. Excellent value and a good choice of dishes. Service was attentive but not invasive.

1  Thank calecare

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I agree with other reviews that the restaurant does not look much from the road but once inside you will be pleasantly surprised. The staff are very friendly and efficient but do not intrude . The service is always to the same high standard no matter how many people are in your party. We have been on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is full of flavour and is beautifully presented. There is a good choice on the menu that changes all the time so you never get bored. with the menu.

1  Thank GlasgowAnnon
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have attended on many occasions, always with family.

The staff are exceptionally attentive, the internal surroundings are quirky and exceptionally comfortable, the fish tank table, always a talking point!

The staff are really friendly and very very efficient. The food, as always is scrumptious and always beautifully presented. I dont think any of us have ever had a bad dish there.

Dont let the view of the restaurant from the street put you off, its like a tiny cottage with a cramped car park but internally it is superb.....!.. We'll be back..

1  Thank Scotland2011
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place does not look like much from the road. In fact we were worried upon approach. However, once we got to the entrance it was adorable and we could tell it was classy.It was mostly locals, of course, because a tourist would not tell how amazing it is from the outside.
The restaurant smelt of fresh lily's and had a coy pond in a glass table. The staff was so polite, the service was on time. All three courses were perfect. I started with the crab salad and all the flavors were surprising and refreshing, then to the veal which was the best I have had in years, and ended with the flaming creme brulee served on fire. I would defiantly recommend this high end yet affordable gourmet Scottish restaurant.

3  Thank Angie M
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Before I start I have to state that Mitchell’s is my favourite restaurant in Glasgow bar none. I will always review it objectively each time I visit but i haven’t ever had a bad experience in here and rate it hugely!

We had been out all day in the East of Scotland and were on our way home at about 6 when hunger struck. Since Mitchells isnt far from home we decided that we would pop in and arrived at the back of 6 without reservations. Mitchells itself sits in the rural village of Carmunnock and was the restaurant fits in with the village look and feel. Once through the gates there are a couple of outdoor seating areas and a smoking area. The interior is largely dominated by wooden floors and wooden topped tables and is spacious and warm feeling. We were shown to our table and the main dining room was pleasantly full.

Sunday night is a great night to visit Mitchells as you get a combined menu of everything that has been offered during the week and on Friday and Saturday night all for £16 for two courses or £20 for three courses. Friday and Saturday night menus are more expensive and during the week items can be bought individually. Still the Sunday night menu for the quality of the food is a great deal.

Anyway we were seated comfortably and given menus. Since I was driving we opted for two glasses of the house white which turned out to be a very pleasant and crisp offering for a house wine.

To start I opted for pastrami on top of cream cheese and a bagel with pickle and my wife went for the goats cheese and beetroot salad. Both arrived and as usual looked absolutely great. I really enjoyed my starter, the pickle contrasted superbly with the soft cream cheese and the pepper crust on the meat worked well with everything. The side salad was tasty enough but didn’t add or detract from the starter. The goats cheese across the table delighted as well, I didn’t try it as I’m not a fan of goats cheese.

For mains I ordered the pulled pork with refried beans and rice burrito. Not what i might normally have and probably not an item that would normally appear on Mitchells menu but I am a Mexican food fan when its done well so thought I would give it a try. My wife had a sesame seed crusted chicken breast with light Thai sauce, sticky rice and bok choi. My burrito was bursting at the sides with tasty and deliciously soft pulled pork, refried beans and rice. It was really excellent and was large enough that by the end a siesta was required! The sesame chicken was cooked perfectly and remained juicy and was complemented by the flavorsome Thai sauce which was like a red sauce though a bit lighter.

Dessert came around and neither of us really needed it but the Nutella chocolate sundae caught the eye so we decided to share it. It arrived and we tucked into it before I remembered to take a picture. It was tremendous and im glad we shared it as it was a chocolate overload with lashings of Nutella sauce, chocolate scarpings and a rich yet light chocolate ice cream.

We had three glasses of wine, two starters, two mains, two desserts and a single Espresso which came in at just over £52. For the surroundings, quality of the food and standard of service I would happily pay more!

2  Thank ScottGlasgow