“Standards are slipping”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Coias Cafe

Coias Cafe
Ranked #72 of 2,393 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Cafe, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Coia family opened their first cafe in Dennistoun in 1928, and ever since then Coia's Cafe has been a favourite meeting place for local people, both young and old. The very first Coia's Cafe, originally on the corner of Duke Street, was owned by Carmine and Amalia Coia. Nicky and Ena Coia took over in the 1950's. In that time they took the business to the next level by introducing confectionery and a larger menu. During the 1980's the ownership transferred to the current owners - Alfredo and Antonia Coia, the third generation of the family to run the business. In 2006, the well known local landmark entered a new era by expanding into the newly built premises next door and by extensively refurbishing the existing cafe. This now includes the new takeaway food section and excellent delicatessen. Coia's Delicatessen is always worth a visit, offering a full off-licence with a large choice of imported wines. The new space also allowed the expansions of the ice cream section, selling Coia's famous homemade Italian ice cream. Coia's Cafe today provides it's loyal customers with an extensive menu to accommodate every occasion and satisfy every taste. We've worked hard to ensure that every dish on the menu is a dish that we are proud of. To mention the great selection of pastas and pizzas, fresh seafood and mouthwatering meat dishes is to only to scratch the surface. We also takes great pride in offering many fantastic 'chef's specials' every single day for you to try. We also recommend that you take advantage of our extensive and unique range of wines, selected personally by Alfredo. To this day, we still pride ourselves in four basics:- friendly attitude, politeness, cleanliness and high quality food. We promise an experience the whole family can enjoy.
lanarkshire
“Standards are slipping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Have loved this restaurant for a long time now and introduced many others to it as I always really enjoyed it however the last few times I have eaten here I have thought it was going down hill a bit which am very disappointed in. Some of the staff are no longer as attentive and interested and I do think food standards and portion sizes have dropped as well however the prices haven't.. It is hard times for everyone these days however too many eating places are falling into this trap and cutting portions and quality of food to try increase profits however it has to be remembered that the customers spending good hard earned money in these hard times come to have a treat with friends and family and it saddens me to have to write this however as with all my reviews I feel are fair and honest and when it is good I tell it and when it's not so good I also tell it as my last review for this cafe was good as it deserved it I also believe I have the right to review when it is not so good.. People notice changes and reserve the right to comment. Food isn't bad, I have to say. It just doesn't hold a candle to what it used to be and neither is service. Sorry.. But am bein very honest.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank jacdoll

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“excellent food great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Excellent food, if you like seafood the prawns are so good!!!!!! The owner and staff are very friendly great atmosphere and always busy. Some of the dishes are a little over priced for the location of the restaurant but always taste great!

• Visited October 2012
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Better than requested”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We (4 boys) came into Coias looking for a quick bite to eat before heading out to the cinema, we had requested to be seated and fed in 45mins! They were happy to oblige and notifies us that some dishes would take longer than others.

We had 3 burgers and I had a calzone pizza, what a meal! The calzone was FULL of toppings, spicy sausage, chicken, Peperoni, extra cheese it really was the best I've ever had! What a meal and we made it in time for the cinema! Great place for some quality food, fantastic! I did have my rating for value at 4/5 however considering what we got and the quality of it I was more than happy to pay the little bit more.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Repeat Customer - Always Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have now been to Coias for breakfast, lunch and dinner and they're each as good as the next. I stay nearby when I visit Glasgow and can’t think of the last weekend I was down there when I didn’t go to Coias. Though I’ve been most recently with family, I go there with friends or as a couple as well. Great food and good patter. Try the Irn Bru sorbet - It's top notch.

• Visited September 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“If you like Italian food - do not miss it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

As a child I went to Coia's cafe in Duke Street Glasgow when the family visited Aunt Lizzies in Bellfield Street opposite the cafe. I am now 66 years of age and was there two nights ago just because of the great food. I have to admit service can be less than perfect unless you get a Coia family member but the food is second to none and includes tradditional Scottish dishes NO NOT HAGGIS, mince n' tatties and breakfasts fit for a Farmer. Try the black pudding. and dont forget your ice cream and REAL esspresso.

Visited September 2012